Decklink Quad HDMI Recorder not working properly

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Ringolds

Decklink Quad HDMI Recorder not working properly

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 12:55 pm

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a Decklink Quad HDMI Recorder and I'm having issues with making it work. The issue is that the signal sent from my all 4 of my Canon 800D's is in SD and I can't configure the capture card with the Blackmagic Desktop Video Setup. There are no tabs other than the About tab.

I've tested multiple HDMI cables by connecting 800D's to multiple monitors and TV's. All are working properly and the signal is in 1920x1080. Basically no issues whatsoever. I even tested an older Nikon D3200 and it works as well.

I've removed my graphic card just in case there are some weird problems with the PCI slot and I've tested all PCI slots. Same issue.

I've tried reinstalling the Desktop Video 11.3 and 11.2 software and the issue persists.

I'm using Windows 10.

What might be the problem?

bartekdziedzic

Re: Decklink Quad HDMI Recorder not working properly

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 8:24 pm

Now I see a lot of similar problems as my- without any solution? I also checked card on second computer- still the same problem.

Update:
OK I HAVE SOLUTION for problems with Canon R and Canon 5d mark IV
I connected canon r to Lillput monitor with HDMI cable and from field Monitor I have connected it to Blackmagic quad hdmi 4k - and it Works- it has HD signal and 4k signal.
Could you make something with firmware /drivers update to workwith canon R/5d IV ?

update2: also works with cheap active HDMI splitter

BlackMagic is it possible to make some drivers update?

bradburns

PostSun Apr 12, 2020 6:41 am

Grr. I have been working on this same issue for hours. I have a Canon 6D, and two Canon t2i cameras which work great with Elgato HDMI capture devices (cards and external usb adapters). If i plug in the Decklink Quad HDMI Recorder, I get a horrible 525i59.94 signal.

@bartekdziedzic, Can you tell me what cheap Active HDMI splitter you use?

Blackmagic, get this fixed. Many people have DSLRs, I dont understand how this can leave the assembly line without being tested.

matthewf

PostMon Apr 20, 2020 10:46 pm

Thanks for the workaround, I had the exact same issue with my Canon 200D and Canon EOS R, fortunately I have a HDMI switch and passing it through that fixed the problem, at least partially.
The EOS R can output 10bit which the Decklink Quad can supposedly receive but quite possibly my HDMI switch is unable to pass through properly as that doesn't work, but getting a 1080P signal does work.

I don't know if it's an issue with the Decklink Quad or the cameras as they obviously don't like each other, but it would be a nice if you could work with Canon to solve this problem so that I don't need another bit of hardware in the chain.

bradburns

PostTue Apr 21, 2020 4:48 pm

I purchased the same splitter that bartekdziedzic purchased, and now it does show a 1080i signal from the camera after the splitter for my Canon Rebel T2i crop cameras... but there is still a significant grain to the footage when comparing the footage from my Canon 6D full frame camera. I'm surprised since this is the better camera, i would have thought that it would do the best.

Whatever is happening, the splitter seems to be repackaging, or adding the missing bits to the signal that the Blackmagic HDMI quad wants to negotiate a proper 1080i signal... at least for some of my DSLRs.

bradburns

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 5:17 pm

I have contacted support. All together, in this forum/thread alone, we have 6 different Canon cameras that their Quad HDMI card is not working with. After asking me for my Desktop Video version number (11.5) they asked me to RMA my product to test it in their lab. They said that they do not have Canon cameras to test with. Will update....

Majkl83

PostThu Apr 23, 2020 11:59 am

Hello guys,

we are also using Canon EOS R, having same problem. Decklink Quad HDMI do not recognize signal and show us HDMI Pal and quality is about SD. Please could you solve this problem? We bought this expensive card to use it for professional purposes and we do not want to use any splitter or other things such as Lilliput display.

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 23, 2020 9:35 pm

While Canon claims the HDMI can support:
4K (UHD) uncompressed YCbCr 4:2:2, 8-bit or 10-bit, Full HD 1080P YCbCr 4:2:2, 8-bit. Supported outputs 4K UHD/29.97P, 4K UHD/25.00P, 4K UHD/24.00P, 4K UHD/23.98P, 1080/59.94P 1080/50.00P, 1080i/50.00i, 1080i/59.94i, 1080/24.00P, 576p/50.00P, 480/59.94p. Sound output via HDMI is also possible

When you set the camera to 1080p, the HDMI output is 1080p59.94, regardless of frame rate selected in camera, (except if you set 24fps, you get 1080p24) no 50/25 output, and it is a 8-bit signal. The UHD settings gets you 23.98 FPS, not 24fps. Not sure about the rest of the outputs in UHD (which is the 4K output). Best to connect the camera to a monitor and see what its actual video output is, then set this frame rate in the Decklink control software.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Majkl83

PostTue May 05, 2020 8:25 am

Hello guys,

Blackmagic made new version of their program Blackmagic Desktop Video setup and now for me it is working perfectly with GoPro. After lunch I would test with Canon R5.

I think they solved it!

simorZirkus

PostThu May 14, 2020 1:33 pm

Hello,

I am having the same issues, the quadlink firmware is uptodate tho. Is there any solution ?

Farmdog

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 1:03 pm

Same problem with my 5D mkiii spent hours working out the Ikan monitor pass through fixed it (or got me from SD to 1080i) and my small HD splitter also dragged 1080i out of the camera. Then I found this thread... I should have googled harder to begin with. A frustrating journey that we have all been on.

Wouter-W

PostSat Dec 19, 2020 2:32 pm

hello,

In my setup i have the same issue, it has 2 intensity pro hd cards and i added a decklink quad hdmi card. so i have a total of 6 hdmi inputs. at the moment and i want to use 3 canon HV30 camera's.

when i connect the camera to a intensity pro the signal is 1080i50, the camera's max output, it works fine.

but when connected to the decklink i get a 625i50PAL video signal. For testing i placed a hdmi matrix switch between the camera and decklink and that is giving me the 1080i50 signal.

so there is a difference between the hdmi detection in the cards, i think.

Hoping they can find the problem on the decklink card and fix it.

installed desktop video 11.7 for windows. running windows 10

bennshukri

PostFri Feb 12, 2021 7:28 am

Hello.

I have an urgent matter at hand. Need your kind advice.

I have Decklink Quad HDMI Recorder which has been with me for the past 3 months.
I have been using it without any issues. Cameras, laptops. all working fine

But as of last night, it stopped working entirely for me.
Previous to that, I have installed DaVinci Resolve 17 Beta in the same PC, which was not installed properly.
Which following to this, I have installed VCRuntime140_1 separately. And Voila! Da Vinci resolved could run.

BUT at a cost of my DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder crapped out on me. I'm not getting any signal on all 4 input slots in either Vmix or DeckLink Media Express

There is no way i could be certain that this is direct result from VCRunTime.

Return to Getting Started