Davinci and Project Server Crashing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Christian Haas

Davinci and Project Server Crashing

PostFri Aug 16, 2019 3:12 pm

Today I tried to update our Davinci 15.3 to 16 on computer and on the separate Project Server. After the update I could start the Project Server running on a separate Machine and upgrade the database. Since that nothing is starting anymore. Now everything Crashes during the start process, the Database Server is not starting anymore, the Davinci on the workstation the same, both crash on start. I went back with the database Server to an old image with 15.3 and still the same, now the old version is crashing too. Do you have any ideas? Thank you

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Davinci and Project Server Crashing

PostFri Aug 16, 2019 4:46 pm

To attempt to assist you, we need Resolve logs and information about your system(s).

This link provides guidance on how to get us that info:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Christian Haas

PostFri Aug 16, 2019 5:08 pm

ok, I did log files. How can I send them to you ?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 16, 2019 6:47 pm

Place the files on a file sharing site and provide a link to the files.

New user's can't post URLs, and if that's an issue, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart

Zeb Chadfield

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 5:43 pm

Christian I'm wondering if you got anywhere with this. I'm currently in a similar situation. Decided to take the plunge on 16. I can open project databases locally on the machine from within Davinci Resolve but via DaVinci Resolve Project Server it freezes up and eventually needs a force quit. I've loaded the databases into a separate machine and have the same issue. Resolve 16 is fine with them DaVinci Resolve Project Server will freeze when trying to open them.

Zeb Chadfield

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 6:02 pm

Just to update this. The DaVinci Resolve Project Server in the 16.1 beta works! I'll see how I go serving via this version but running all our suites from 16.0 until 16.1 is out of beta we won't be able to roll it out.

Christian Haas

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 11:23 am

Update to 16.1 Beta let the Project Server run again! But workstations are still not working and crashing during start :(

Christian Haas

PostSat Aug 31, 2019 11:16 am

just as info if you have the same issues:

we solved the problem in our studio. The problem was a DEATH PATH in the workstation environment settings. It was just a path set to a non existing folder /server. Resolve v14 can handle that as all other tools in our studio, they just ignore it. Resolve v15 and v16 do care, they stop loading the app and crash. The value in the path itself is not important, it could be anything. Resolve just do not like any wrong path.

I guess blackmagic can fix this easy in future releases as it was fixed in v14.

best regards

Chris

sunithaya

Davinci and Project Server Crashing HELP!

PostThu Jun 11, 2020 2:08 am

Hi, I recently installed v. 16.2.2 . For the first time in years it asked me to input my activation key (which I did) and Resolve did not find the Local Database. I have tried everything within my competence. I am not a colorist but a cinematographer editing 2 feature films and a music video at the moment and suddenly I cannot find any of my projects. You can imagine the catastrophe this is for me since it is my only job at the moment. In addition I have many projects which although delivered might require changes.

I tried running the Project Server but it quits unexpectedly.

I hope you can help me. I uploaded all the LOGS I could. Please let me know if the info is enough or what else I can do. Thank you so much in advance

Here is the link to a Drive Folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 11, 2020 5:37 pm

Nothing you provided was of much use. And how is it, that on a Mac, almost every file you sent was a .docx file?

Were you previously using the Apple App Store version of Resolve at any point?

What was the previous version of Resolve you were using?

If you've never used the App Store version, then:

In Finder, go to /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve and run CaptureLogs. This will put a DaVinci Resolve log file with a .tgz extension on your desktop. Send us that.

Select About This Mac, then System Report. In the System Information menus at the top, select File - Save. That will create a .spx file with your system info. Send us that.
Dwaine Maggart

Return to DaVinci Resolve