Help Color Correcting (not color grading)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MRomine

Help Color Correcting (not color grading)

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 3:32 am

I recently did an interior shoot pretty much with existing lighting and I am having issues trying to correct color in the whites. I know how to get satisfactory results with a still image in PS but I can not get close to the same results with Resolve 16. The closest I can get to what I want is to use the white balance eye dropper. It gets close but I still feel I am a ways off. I'm attaching two images. The first one is a screen grab from Resolve after using the eye dropper and the 2nd is after making my adjustments to the screen grab in PS.

I've also tried creating a Serial Node, then using the Qualifier and selecting the blue areas that I would like to change/desaturate but I can not refine my selection tight enough to desaturate the blue to the point that I want.

Any suggestions?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 10.16.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 10.16.33 PM.png (600.09 KiB) Viewed 1389 times
Screen Shot A.png
Screen Shot A.png (525.16 KiB) Viewed 1389 times

Cary Knoop

Re: Help Color Correcting (not color grading)

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 4:07 am

Where do you click using the eyedropper?

You cannot click on speculars or very intens light because it lacks, or does not have, enough color information. The cabinet in the center of the image seems to be a first candidate to use.

Can you provide the original unedited frame?

MRomine

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 4:26 am

Cary Knoop wrote:Where do you click using the eyedropper?

You cannot click on speculars or very intens light because it lacks, or does not have, enough color information. The cabinet in the center of the image seems to be a first candidate to use.

Can you provide the original unedited frame?

I have clicked on the end of the book case on the very left edge of the frame and also in the far back room on the wall above the television screen. The upper part of the walls has been painted a light blue. So I do not want to completely remove all the blue in the images just in the place where it is coming in from the outside windows.

Here is a link: https://www.romineweddings.com/Trimm.mov

Thank you for trying to help out a novice user of Resolve.

Dermot Shane

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 5:14 am

color page /curves / hue-vs-sat / eyedropper on the blue / pull down the point on the curve to taste, make sure the slope on the curve is pretty soft tho, this tool can be an artifact generating device...

capthook

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 5:24 am

3 Videos you might find useful showing 3 white balance methods

1) Casey Faris has a ton of some of the best Resolve videos (long and creative)

2) Learn Color Grading (short and easy)

3) The Post Color Blog (Resolve unique)
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.2 | Nvidia Studio 537.42 | Mavic 2P | GH6 | Ronin SC
i9 13900K | 64GB 5600MHz DDR5 RAM | RTX4080 16GB | (4) 990Pro 2tb m.2 | Windows 11

capthook

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 5:33 am

Dermot Shane wrote:color page /curves / hue-vs-sat / eyedropper on the blue / pull down the point on the curve to taste, make sure the slope on the curve is pretty soft tho, this tool can be an artifact generating device...

Nice. Great answer - learning is fun!
Thanks!
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.2 | Nvidia Studio 537.42 | Mavic 2P | GH6 | Ronin SC
i9 13900K | 64GB 5600MHz DDR5 RAM | RTX4080 16GB | (4) 990Pro 2tb m.2 | Windows 11

MRomine

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 8:34 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:color page /curves / hue-vs-sat / eyedropper on the blue / pull down the point on the curve to taste, make sure the slope on the curve is pretty soft tho, this tool can be an artifact generating device...

That suggestion is a thing of beauty! Thank you kind sir!

MRomine

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 9:09 pm

capthook wrote:3 Videos you might find useful showing 3 white balance methods

1) Casey Faris has a ton of some of the best Resolve videos (long and creative)

2) Learn Color Grading (short and easy)

3) The Post Color Blog (Resolve unique)

Thank you for sharing those. In my quest to try and figure this out I came across the top one in your list. The other two, especially the middle one, is quite good too. I've seen several of his other videos on DR in the past and I have them booked marked.

Thanks everyone, mucho appreciated.

John Paines

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 9:21 pm

If you want the result seen in your PS version, typical wb methods won't work, because everything else will adjust as well, in ways you won't like.

Dermot gave you way to do it, above. The other alternative is isolating those areas with windows and/or a key, and working on them separately. But that's needlessly complicated for what you want to do.

MRomine

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 9:28 pm

John Paines wrote:If you want the result seen in your PS version, typical wb methods won't work, because everything else will adjust as well, in ways you won't like.

Dermot gave you way to do it, above. The other alternative is isolating those areas with windows and/or a key, and working on them separately. But that's needlessly complicated for what you want to do.

Yeah, Dermot's suggestion nailed it. I started to try to mess with the windows thing and said that was too much, if I have to do it this way I will just live with it and spend more time next time lighting it to correct these issues.

Marc Wielage

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 12:19 am

Dealing with mixed lighting is a real drag. Caution anybody shooting in situations like this, it's better to shoot it like you want it. Don't have a hallway with blue light if you don't intend for it to be in the final.

Me personally, I kind of like the look of the blue and would argue that it gives the shot depth and makes it look interesting. Making everything white is too dull to me. Embrace what you have as a look.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve