Increasing the length of a still on the timeline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mike Mas

PostMon Aug 28, 2017 1:37 am

Hey guys- I searched but can't find an answer but how doe you increase the length of a still. Would seem logical to either type it in or drag the clip out but neither work.

Thanks
www.rotory.com

rick.lang

PostMon Aug 28, 2017 4:18 pm

Would a right click and selecting Clip Attributes get you what you want? I know I used a lot of stills in a project I did while testing Resolve 14 beta5, but I am back on Resolve 12.5.6 so can't inspect what I did. I do think I just dragged them by placing the cursor inside the box at the right so the control with the single arrow appeared to extend the clip to the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Mike Mas

Re: Increasing the length of a still on the timeline

PostMon Aug 28, 2017 6:20 pm

Regretfully, I don't see an option and you cannot drag the clip to expand it either. Here's an image of the RC.

Thanks Mike
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 2.20.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 2.20.57 PM.png (280.79 KiB) Viewed 26840 times
Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 2.17.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 2.17.52 PM.png (412.47 KiB) Viewed 26840 times
www.rotory.com

Jack Fairley

PostMon Aug 28, 2017 7:18 pm

On Resolve 14 I can drop an image (png) into the timeline, and then click the edge to drag it to the desired length.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Adam Brown

PostMon Aug 28, 2017 11:13 pm

In 14 you can drag the still along the timeline.

But is there anyway to key in the time of the clip with keys? I would much rather key in a time than have to physically drag a clip, especially if working with a laptop trackpad.

Marc Wielage

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 12:21 am

You could type in the timecode of the frame on which you want the still to stop, then click on the right edge of the still and drag and snap the edge to the playhead. That works for me.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Bryan Mullins

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 1:04 am

There's also the default duration in project settings that you can set....

Mike Mas

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 1:32 am

Thanks for the reply's - Would be quick - expessially on images or effects and just type in the duration.

Regards
www.rotory.com

smokemonk

PostTue Jun 25, 2019 6:37 pm

Be sure to import your still images INDIVIDUALLY. If you import as a group, Resolve sees them as a footage clip like AE. Once you import them, one at a time, you can drag or set the clip length in the attributes box.

Jim Simon

PostTue Jun 25, 2019 7:55 pm

Mike Mas wrote:you cannot drag the clip to expand it

You normally can, so maybe try and discover why you can't and solve that.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Mark Tavares

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 11:21 am

smokemonk wrote:Be sure to import your still images INDIVIDUALLY. If you import as a group, Resolve sees them as a footage clip like AE. Once you import them, one at a time, you can drag or set the clip length in the attributes box.

Cheers!! - Quick google search and this actually worked for me - toodle pip!

Ashley Thomas

PostSun Oct 27, 2019 4:56 am

I ran into an issue where I was dragging-dropping ~300 jpegs into the project. Then I'd create a timeline with all 300 jpegs. Most clips on new timeline were the expected 5 seconds, but some were only a single frame and could not be resized at all.

I exported the project to xml to have a peek, sure enough the images having issues were being treated differently.

I found this thread first... but I didn't want to drag-and-drop ~300 photos individually. :o ... :) I then ran across the following thread which had the answer...

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31809

...Resolve can treat sequentially numbered image files as clips... to avoid that, instead of importing them directly to the project bin, you can import them to the project via the Media Page after selecting the "Show Individual Frames" option in the Media Page (see manual page 300).

(Note, I never have used the media page to date, I typically just drag/drop or menu option import directly to the project. So I'm not aware of some of these nuances.)

After choosing "..." and "Show Individual Frames" in Media Page, I select all photos and drag them to the desired project bin. That apparently imports them the way I'd expect. This differs from other apps I've used that don't have implicit interpretation of sequentially numbered files.

After that way of importing, if I create a timeline with all 300 imported jpegs, each one is 5 seconds, and all can be resized as expected. I was simply unaware of this Resolve nuance so was importing them incorrectly... but it was non-obvious to me until encountering the above mentioned thread.

Just wanted to pass this on in case anyone ran across this thread as I had.

Thanks,
Ashley

jeremywp123

PostSat Apr 18, 2020 2:12 am

I was having the same problem where some clips wouldn't let me change the length and turns out if you right-click the still then go to speed and check the box for "freeze-frame" it'll let you adjust the length of the clip as much as you want.

Return to DaVinci Resolve