Does Davinci Resolve Sync only 1 audio file per video?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

karen.johnson

Does Davinci Resolve Sync only 1 audio file per video?

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 7:11 am

Hi,
For a typical dialogue scene, I have 1 video file 4 sound files: boom mic, 2 lav mics, and a planted mic.
I'm now trying to sync in the Media Pool, I've selected 2 audio files and 1 video, right click, Auto sync audio, one audio file gets synced the other not, it says "No match was found when attempting to sync these clips". But when I sync each separately it works perfectly but it's useless because I need both audio tracks beneath the video.
Am I doing something wrong? or Does Davinci Resolve sync one one audio file to a given video file?
Attachments
sync.PNG
sync.PNG (5.17 KiB) Viewed 4593 times

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Does Davinci Resolve Sync only 1 audio file per video?

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 8:03 am

Try syncing one audio file at a time to the video and append the new tracks.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

karen.johnson

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 12:30 pm

Doesn't work. I get maximum 2 tracks (scratch sound from camera + 1 synced), the new file replaces the older sync.
Do I need to start worrying about Davinci Resolve being only for production that have one microphone? The minimum for dialogue between 2 people is boom mic + 2 lavs. Minimum 3, Davinci has room for one only.

karen.johnson

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 9:34 am

Help please, am I limited to only one audio file for the auto sync? I have 3 mics (boom + 2 lavs)?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 11:09 am

You had one video with audio and three separate audio recording devices?
No timecode sync? Time of day?

Have you tried the multi cam audio sync and then open in timeline?

Are these all wav files?
Is there four recordings or multiple? How many?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

RikshaDriver

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 12:40 pm

It looks like a recording off zoom... So probably multiple tracks recorded off same device?
GitHub Projects: https://github.com/xtremestuff/
Commercial Plugins: https://xtremestuff.net/store/

Jonas Baath

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 6:30 pm

Hi

I have a similar problem as the one Karen describes.

One camera (with audio LTC on one of the audio tracks, two additional audio tracks (two separate recorders with timecode), all fps are set correctly, all three timecode generators are jammed).

When trying to sync both the recorders tracks with the camera the audio ends up all over the place in the timeline when dragging the content of the bin into the timeline. Syncing the camera with one of the external audio tracks works.

I have tried doing this starting a new project for every attempt, with the option to replace the original sound track or append the audio tracks when right-clicking the bin and go for Auto-sync.

I first did this in DR 15.3, then installed version 16 out of frustration. I typically get the footage and the camera sound at start of the timeline, then the sound from one of the recorders and then the sound from the second recorder?! I guess I need a detailed step-by-step manual for this. Or, can't this be done?

================
This is my first post here. I'm part of a small independent group dabbling with various groups, ideas and partners mainly for fun. Obviously amateurs. We are now interested in starting using timecode.

Dan Sherman

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 7:16 pm

Jonas Baath wrote:Hi

I have a similar problem as the one Karen describes.

One camera (with audio LTC on one of the audio tracks, two additional audio tracks (two separate recorders with timecode), all fps are set correctly, all three timecode generators are jammed).

When trying to sync both the recorders tracks with the camera the audio ends up all over the place in the timeline when dragging the content of the bin into the timeline. Syncing the camera with one of the external audio tracks works.

I have tried doing this starting a new project for every attempt, with the option to replace the original sound track or append the audio tracks when right-clicking the bin and go for Auto-sync.

I first did this in DR 15.3, then installed version 16 out of frustration. I typically get the footage and the camera sound at start of the timeline, then the sound from one of the recorders and then the sound from the second recorder?! I guess I need a detailed step-by-step manual for this. Or, can't this be done?

Resolve doesn't automatically read LTC. in the manual search for "update timecode from audio".

once you have done that, you should be able, to make a multicam clip and everything will be in sync.

if you don't want multicam, just open the multi cam and copy and paste the synced clips onto a different timeline.

You can also use the new sync bin feature on the cut page once your clips are synced.
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

Jonas Baath

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 7:33 pm

Hi Dan

Thank you.
I forgot to mention I certainly did use the "update timecode from audio LTC" before trying to sync the clip with the recorders audio tracks.
I'll have to look closer at this multicam thing.

Jonas Baath

PostThu Aug 22, 2019 5:09 pm

Thanks again Dan,

I now had a chance to try your tip about using Multicam.

As I'm not in the middle of anything I updated from DR 15.3 to 16.0.0.60 and it worked fine. First with one camera and two audio recorders. Then, for the sake of it, I tried with six recorders. The cameras again fed with one channel scratch audio and one channel of audio timecode. The recorders were all using timecode. Everything aligned nicely on the timeline.

The workflow is perhaps a bit tedious (I don't have much to compare with though), not very intuitive. I wish it would have been possible to just drag whatever to the timeline, mark the pieces one would like to sync and be done. perhaps just me, but why not?

Anyway, I'll investigate this multicam method further.

@Karen: I hope you don't mind me jumping in with my problem. Maybe you can use the multicam method as well?

karen.johnson

PostTue Aug 27, 2019 6:09 am

Multicam dialogue box doesn't appear in version 16.1b1.
it's one camera and one audio recorder. The camera outputs the video with scratch sound. The audio recorder has each microphone output to a different wave file. I have one video and several wave file for the same scene. No time code.
I thought that sync audio was meant for syncing audio, and multicam was meant for syncing multiple video using audio. But I can't use multicam because the multicam dialogue box doesn't show up.
Any idea is the audio sync will support more than one wave file for a video file?
Please note that this isn't about one scene, there are plenty, so it's something that will get repeated a lot of times.

Jonas Baath

PostTue Aug 27, 2019 6:22 pm

If the dialogue box doesn't turn up in 16.1b1 it is very unfortunate. I tried again in version 16.0.0.60 and it works.
As I only tried using timecode earlier I now tried using Multicam but syncing by the sound tracks instead of using timecode and it worked quite well. This was with one camera and three different recorders. The sound clips were all placed a hair behind the camera's scratch sound channel and need an adjustment of one frame forward to get exactly aligned with the slate sound registered by the camera.

Yes, I needed help to understand "Multicam" was the way to go for, let's say, multirecorders. As it worked in 16.0.0.60 we may have some hope for the function to re-appear later on.

If you would so like i can post a description, step by step, on how I got the tracks in place.

/Jonas

Return to DaVinci Resolve