Capturing HDMI output

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

dershver

Capturing HDMI output

PostTue Aug 20, 2019 3:10 pm

Using the CapturePreview prototype, I am trying to display the video output of a PC.
The PC video signal is DVI. I am using a DVI to HDMI converter cable which is attached to the HDMI input
of the frame grabber. The frame grabber is an Intensity Pro 4K. It fails and no image is displayed. I attached the same cable to a monitor and I was able to view the images. Any suggestions ?

Xtreemtec

Re: Capturing HDMI output

PostTue Aug 20, 2019 3:45 pm

Have you tried to use Media Express to see if you hardware setup is working for sure before moving on to a coding environment ;)

Is the output resolution of the DVI in a broadcast format?
Is the color output RGB or YUV?
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

dershver

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 6:37 pm

I did try Media Express and it also had problems. Nothing was displayed.

I don't know what DVI format the PC is using. It part of an embedded system and I do not
have access to the Windows desktop. However, if I connect the HDMI cable to a monitor,
everything is displayed properly.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Aug 22, 2019 9:30 am

Yeah, Count on it that that DVI output does not send something out that is confirm broadcast standards then.

Yes your HDMI screen displays it. But HDMI screens can switch between RGB, YUV colorspace, can handle a lot of different resolutions and framerates. Were this capture device *ONLY* will run Broadcast resolutions.

Find yourself a laptop with HDMI output. Connect hdmi cable between laptop and capturecard and set output resolution on the laptop to 1280x720P 50 Check if you have an image in Media express. If so. Your card is functioning fine and you will need to buy a Decimator MD-HX to convert the signal from the embedded DVI system to a proper broadcast standard to capture. :)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

dershver

PostFri Aug 23, 2019 4:57 pm

Thank you very much for your response. This is very helpful. We did try a PC that outputs HDMI and it
did display in Media Express. I will look into the Decimator system.

Return to Software Developers