NVMe vs. SAS/SATA for Workflow?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

AlanLovesMagic

NVMe vs. SAS/SATA for Workflow?

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 12:47 am

Hello all,

I was just wondering, do you think there's a significant advantage in workflow if you were connecting your SSDs via an NVMe interface as opposed to something like SAS or SATA? I speculate that large volumes of data would require the type of speed and bandwidth provided by NVMe. I know NVMe is pricier... but is there a situation with a 3D design workflow that justifies a reason to go with the more expensive interface that NVMe is?

Does the time saved on the speed you get from NVMe justify spending the money? In professional studios I am thinking time is expensive...

Thank you for reading, and I would appreciate any insight!

Ethereal Project

Re: NVMe vs. SAS/SATA for Workflow?

PostThu Aug 22, 2019 3:51 pm

I have noticed a big improvement in performance after switching from a SATA SSD to a NVME x4 SSD. Especially when working with high frame rate video. You do need to have a CPU capable of processing that much data fast enough. I run a RYZEN 7 1800x and a Samsung 970 evo NVME ssd and can preview at 100% without the need of optimizing clips. Hope this helps

Greg_E

PostFri Aug 23, 2019 2:33 pm

Depends what you are working with. 4k or 6k raw? Yes you should see a big difference. 1080 DNxHD or Prores compressed? Not really.

But to take advantage of this speed you need to have an NVMe slot on your computer, not an external (maybe Thunderbolt 3, maybe).

AlanLovesMagic

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 4:32 pm

Ethereal Project wrote:I have noticed a big improvement in performance after switching from a SATA SSD to a NVME x4 SSD. Especially when working with high frame rate video. You do need to have a CPU capable of processing that much data fast enough. I run a RYZEN 7 1800x and a Samsung 970 evo NVME ssd and can preview at 100% without the need of optimizing clips. Hope this helps

Where exactly in your workflow did you notice the improvements when upgrading your ssds to NVMe?

Return to Getting Started