ADR - Which Audio Interface do you use?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

gerardnaziri

PostThu Jul 04, 2019 6:28 pm

Hi,

I'm a Mac user and quite new to DaVinci Resolve (first project finished). I wonder what audio interface Mac users use to get in sound? I have the BMD UltraStudio 4K and an old Digidesign 002 audio interface. I wasn't able to make work any of them regarding ADR input. I tried the beta 16 and 15 studio versions. In 16 no inputs at all showed up on the Fairlight patch input/output page. In 15 resolve showed my inputs from both interfaces but I could not make them work even if I patched them. I converted the microphone signal to a line signal for the UltraStudio which didn't help either.

How do you guys implement ADR on the hardware side? Do I need expensive Fairlight hardware? Well, I just need one or two inputs for that. And I wonder why Ultra Studio doesn't do the job in a plug&play manner.

Am I too stupid or isn't it possible with my hardware? Should it be possible? If not what do I need to use ADR?

Thank you, guys!

Gérard

Erik Wittbusch

Re: ADR - Which Audio Interface do you use?

PostWed Jul 24, 2019 9:42 am

I use an Audient iD4 that worked before.

But now it seems broken.

I can see the input sin any other program but it's not working in Resolve.
Did V16 introduce new settings that are sensitive for that?

Reynaud Venter

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 2:11 am

gerardnaziri wrote:BMD UltraStudio 4K
A valid video signal is required before audio capture is possible.

old Digidesign 002 audio interface
A standalone CoreAudio driver for macOS releases after Sierra isn't available from Avid for the 002/002R, which are required to run Resolve 15 and 16.

How do you guys implement ADR on the hardware side? Do I need expensive Fairlight hardware? Well, I just need one or two inputs for that.
Any Core Audio compliant interface should be functional on macOS.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 18.6.6 • macOS 14.3.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

gerardnaziri

PostWed Jul 31, 2019 4:22 pm

Thank you both!

Blackmagic Support said, their I/O devices won't support ADR within Resolve. Only Fairlight Audio Accelerator and Audio Interface would. Well, not on my MacPro 2013 that unfortunately doesn't have PCI slots.

Audient iD4 sounds like a good tip. I would immediately buy one if Resolve 16 can use it. Erik, if you could make it work please tell us.

Other suggestions?

Cheers,
Gérard

gerardnaziri

PostFri Aug 02, 2019 1:16 pm

I think about bying a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen. It might be the most reliable choice as far as I read. At least with Resolve 15. Is anyone using it with Resolve 16?

Cheers,
Gérard

gerardnaziri

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 9:21 pm

Finally I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.

Unfortunately still no audio inputs displayed in the patch IO window.

I can select the Focusrite in the mixer input, but no audio signal comes is heard, displayed or recorded in the ADR panel. It behaves exactly the same way it does with my old Digi002 which is also selectable in the mixer or in the ADR panel as record source.

In the OS X preferences the Focusrite is selected as input and output and it's 48kHz.

I really thought it would work. This is disappointing.

gerardnaziri

PostFri Aug 09, 2019 3:23 pm

Update:

In Resolve 16.1b1 still not working although the 6i6 is an CoreAudio compliant interface. Audio inputs still don't show up in the patch window.

Will Howard

PostFri Aug 16, 2019 1:21 pm

gerardnaziri wrote:Update:

In Resolve 16.1b1 still not working although the 6i6 is an CoreAudio compliant interface. Audio inputs still don't show up in the patch window.

Can you post pictures of your Audio setup in Resolve prefs and also the Patch I/O window? I have used a couple of CoreAudio devices on Mac and even the built-in sound on a Windows laptop and they all had working inputs.

Reynaud Venter

PostFri Aug 16, 2019 2:03 pm

Ensure that the 6i6 is configured correctly in Audio MIDI Setup (Applications > Utilities), you may need to manually specify to “Use This Device For Sound Input” in AMS (right click the 6i6 in the devices list).

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 16, 2019 9:41 pm

For the first time ever: Trying to replace some dialogue in an otherwise ‘complete’ video this weekend. Currently running Resolve Studio 16.0.0.60. On an iMac 2015 with Thunderbolt 2. Latest macOS. From this thread I’m sadly concluding I have no options to marry Resolve with any ADR device.

Can I at least record a voiceover track while my video plays (without audio playing) or should I do completely separate audio capture of the new audio and cut it into the video in Resolve as appropriate?

If necessary I can pull in an external audio track from my video camera.

Edit
Going through the Resolve 16 manual. It gives an example with the built-in mic
as the Record Source but in Resolve it is greyed out. Stuck st the first thing I try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Frank Engel

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 12:52 pm

In the Resolve preferences, in the System tab, under Video and Audio I/O:

If the interface is selected as the default audio interface for the Mac, you can set Speaker Configuration to Use System Setting. Otherwise, set it to Manual and make sure "Device" is set to your audio interface. In my case, it is a Behringer UMC1820 (a bit bigger than what is needed for ADR work but I have it for other reasons), and it is the default audio interface on the Mac, so I am using "system settings".

On the Fairlight tab, add a Mono track, open the ADR panel, and switch to the "Setup" tab of that panel. Select the desired track as the "Record Track", then select the intended input as the "Record Source" - this should be one of the inputs from your audio interface.

The track should automatically be armed for recording.

In the List tab of the ADR panel, add cues that need to be replaced using ADR. In the Record tab, select a cue and use the controls at the top to record.

Note that the list of available inputs includes inputs from multiple sources, including the built-in audio inputs of the computer, and those of the interface, which for some interfaces might not have names associated with them and thus may simply show up as the input channel number with an empty name after them - this won't prevent them from working.

rick.lang

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 2:23 pm

Frank, you’re an angel!

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 5:11 pm

Will the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 bundle be enough for me to get good quality sound (much better than the iMac built-in mics) into the iMac via USB so I can use the Resolve / Fairlight / ADR panel to record my replacement dialogue and voiceover? Is it compatible with Resolve 16? I already have XLR mics (Sennheiser AVX and MKH416) and Bose noise-canceling headphones so maybe all I need is the base 2i2 unit.

I’m planning to do a modest music video in September (acoustic not electric instruments) but it will include a BTS with voice over talent. So doing it all as ADR would be perfect.

On second thought, perhaps this would not be useful as I plan to buy the Zoom F6 or Sound Devices MixPre-6 mixer/recorder in the 4th quarter and surely I could use that as my audio input on the iMac back in my edit studio making the Scarlett 2i2 redundant. However that puts me back to using the iMac now.

If I use the iMac to record into Fairlight, I’m concerned about picking up the iMac fan noise. But if the recording is other wise great and loud enough. I think noise reduction or lowering the gain in post will take care of the fans.

Any insights you have are appreciated.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 1:46 am

A nightmare today trying to ADR using a Zoom H5 connected via USB. macOS saw it as my default external mic in Preferences / Sound. Seemed promising. In Resolve / Preferences the audio was set to “system settings”. In Fairlight / ADR it only saw the built-in mics, no sign of an external mic. Tried recording on the H5 and using the Record tab in ADR. Got nothing other than frustration.

Ended up just using the H5 by itself so I’ll be manually inserting the replacement audio, not a big deal as I know the position of each from my ADR / List. Enjoyed setting up the ADR, but not the lack of getting the intended results.

Even my headphones plugged into the 3.5mm jack on the iMac wouldn’t pickup any sound after they had worked successfully.

Fly in the Ointment
All this ADR requires that the talent be in an isolated ‘soundproof’ room. The audio I captured as the talent listened and watched the clips to be replaced also includes a good dose of computer fan noise on this warm day. I’m not setup with an isolated room like that. Lots of lessons learned, except how to succeed in business without really trying.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 11:36 pm

Operator error. The H5 works well with ADR.

Rick Lang

Erik Wittbusch

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 5:28 pm

Hey Rick, what was your operator error?

I still won't get any audiio from my Audient iD4 within Resolve.
All other DAWs work as intended.

rick.lang

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 5:42 pm

I spoke too soon and feel I’ve done everything mentioned in the Resolve Studio 16 manual and everything should be set including
1) the Zoom H5 using my Sennheiser MKH416 on phantom power in slot 1 connected to the Mac via USB as an audio device,
2) macOS has the H5 as the system input device and when I speak the Mac shows I have audio from the H5,
3) defined the Input/Output patch linking that slot 1 audio input to track Audio 12 and ADR beeps to track Audio 13,
4) Path Settings for Beeps set to Thru and saved correctly,
5) Path Settings for Audio 12 are Rec selected with +10 (which may not even be needed as the Rec dual is set to 10),
6) The cues are all defined and function correctly,
7) The track is armed to record,
8) Record and rehearse perform as expected with the Audio 12 tale appearing to record as the colour red sweeps along the clip.

Everything seems fine but when I record my first cue, the file is created but it has no sound. I’ve tweaked and checked and done many takes that show in Media Page but all are empty.

Anyone have any ideas what I’m missing? I know Sound is going to iMac. But I don’t know why ADR isn’t hearing the sound.

Getting desperate and I carefully read the manual this time unlike my original post.

In the original post someone else was handling the H5 and I know now it wasn’t correctly defined to macOS and Resolve.

I missed a lot of settings/patch/paths due to the way the ADR chapter in the manual is sequenced where I thought originally all I had to do was define the External Mic to macOS and thought Resolve would use it if I set a Preferences to “system settings” (but that’s for Monitor’s not Audio Input).

So much appreciate any assistance but please kindly be very clear in your advice.

Rick Lang

Erik Wittbusch

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 6:18 pm

I don't think this is related to the ADR panel.

It seems to be simply a problem of Resolve not showing the inputs from some if not most audio interfaces.

The thing is, my Audient iD4 is fine as a output device. Be it set as 'Use system Audio' or manually configured in the system preferences.

But my available inputs in Fairlight both won't work, while all (!!) other software is easily seeing the input from the Audient.
Last edited by Erik Wittbusch on Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

rick.lang

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 7:07 pm

Erik, it’s encouraging that I probably have all settings defined correctly but the device is no longer compatible with Resolve. Since your audio device worked in Resolve 15, I’m thinking the H5 likely did as well.

I’ll see if I can update any firmware on the H5 in case that helps.

Can someone who has tried the H5 comment?

Or should I go to the 16.1beta1 and hope it’s better? Reluctant to upgrade without a beta tester commenting ADR is working with their audio device.

Rick Lang

gerardnaziri

PostFri Aug 23, 2019 8:17 pm

Yeah, it finally works, thanks to Frank Engel, who me aware of setting-up the speakers in the Video and Audio I/O in the Resolve preferences to the audio interface I want to use for ADR. Well, I didn't care much about it because I thought it only sets-up the output for the speakers which in my case is the UltraStudio 4K. But it is critical to change it to the actual interface you want to record with.

You don't need to patch the interface inputs in the Fairligth input/output panel. In my case my Scarlett Interface didn't even show up on the input side (only on the output side), instead for the first time the inputs of my Digi002 show up (well, I don't need them).

You can go directly to ADR setup tab. There you can select your input (in my case the Scarlett) and begin recording. Make sure you also defined the outputs of that interface in the Resolve preferences so you can hear your Mic.

One more time: You have to select the audio interface you want to record ADR in the Resolve preferences as speaker outputs.

Thanks again, Frank!

Cheers,
Gérard

rick.lang

PostSat Aug 24, 2019 12:32 am

Frank and Gerard, that is just so obvious and totally described in the Resolve manual, I’m at a loss for words... not!

I too thought I didn’t need to define the audio out that way although I had set it to Apple’s “system settings.” Yesterday I had the Zoom H5 as my system output and that worked, but I didn’t test ADR that way. I need the output to be either H5 for the actor or my headphones as the sound engineer. I’ll try to test tomorrow or late tonight as I’m off to an evening shoot soon.

Thanks for the advice and helping me climb out of my quandary.

Rick Lang

Erik Wittbusch

PostSat Aug 24, 2019 11:05 am

I tried exactly this but it didn't work.

Here it doesn't really matter what device you set up in the speaker preferences. This seems to be output related only.

gerardnaziri

PostSun Aug 25, 2019 10:00 am

All I can say, it matters here. If I select UltraStudio in the speaker preferences I cannot do any ADR recording.

For all I read I would say this is the checklist:

Select you audio interface as the standard system input and output device.
Select 48kHz as sample rate.
Select your interface as speaker outputs in you Resolve preferences.
Select it in the setup panel of the ADR tab.
Select a track.
Begin recording.

Is your iD4 an CoreAudio compliant interface? I didn't need to install any driver to make the Scarlett work although I installed the Focusrite Control which shouldn't be essential to make it work I think.

Reynaud Venter

PostSun Aug 25, 2019 10:12 am

gerardnaziri wrote:If I select UltraStudio in the speaker preferences I cannot do any ADR recording
Configuring the UltraStudio as the Audio Interface in "Video and Audio IO" tab of Preferences will not allow audio input unless a valid video input signal is also present.

If you are configuring the UltraStudio "For Playback and Capture Use" only, an alternate audio device may be defined for ADR recording, as well as audio monitoring.

Erik Wittbusch

PostSun Aug 25, 2019 11:17 am

Thanks again Gerard!

I followed your guide step by step, but it's exactly what I did before.
Simply doesn't work...

The iD4 works with CoreAudio - no drivers needed. 48kHz is always the default format, too.
As already said: It does work in any other software, but in Resolve I don't get any signal.

gerardnaziri

PostSun Aug 25, 2019 11:25 am

Reynaud Venter wrote:If you are configuring the UltraStudio "For Playback and Capture Use" only, an alternate audio device may be defined for ADR recording, as well as audio monitoring.

I think I didn't check that, but I will. Thank you! Anyway I'm quite happy now.

@Erik: I know the feeling. :-(

rick.lang

PostSun Aug 25, 2019 3:24 pm

Sadly, I had to return the Zoom H5 to its owner before I could do further testing. Sure hope we find these issues put to rest by the time Resolve 16.1 is released after beta testing.

I may be trying to get the (unreleased) Zoom F6 configured by that time if I have any budget left after ‘wasting’ all my funds on the newer Mac Pro in the 4th quarter.

Rick Lang

MassimoAlbertoCroce

PostSun Aug 25, 2019 3:52 pm

I found that any core audio interface (I don't know if any, but I tried a couple), to work properly in input need to be the default audio input also on the system side, this can be done in the audio midi setup RMB click.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
Mac Studio - 32GB RAM - 32GPU CORE
NVME RAID
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5
MacOs 12.6
BM mini Monitor 3G

gerardnaziri

PostMon Aug 26, 2019 4:10 pm

I followed Reynaud's suggestion and selected the UltraStudio "For Playback and Capture" and the Scarlett as the device in the speaker setup panel. It worked.

I also tried if my Digi002 would work knowing how accurately set it up now. But it didn't. At least I didn't buy the Scarlett for nothing.

rick.lang

PostTue Aug 27, 2019 4:27 am

Good, Gerard. I wonder if I’ll end up needing a Scarlett 2i2 to get success. I’ll likely end up trying the F6 first in a few months. Hoping that will work.

Rick Lang

postofficeeditorial

PostTue Dec 31, 2019 2:41 pm

I use the the Scarlett 18i20 with Resolve. It does work if you follow the steps above, especially the ridiculous speaker settings in the preferences window. BUT the thing that tripped me up for WEEKS was that that there is no passthrough audio showing in the meters UNTIL you press RECORD!!

I can't believe it works this way but it does. I hope this helps someone else and saves them the weeks of time I've wasted pursuing this.

Sheesh.

postofficeeditorial

rick.lang

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 3:31 pm

That’s good to know. I purchased the Sound Devices MixPre-6 II and that can be used as my audio input device for ADR plugging in my Line Audio Design CM-4 XLR mics. I haven’t needed to do ADR recently but it will happen this winter on a project that has completed shooting, except for the Voiceover and ADR.
Rick Lang

Reynaud Venter

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 4:11 pm

postofficeeditorial wrote:BUT the thing that tripped me up for WEEKS was that that there is no passthrough audio showing in the meters UNTIL you press RECORD!!
Input Monitoring needs to be configured in Fairlight > Input Monitoring Style.

Input: Always monitors the Input
Auto: Monitors the Input, unless in Play / Jog when it behaves like Repro
Record: Mutes the Input with the Transport stopped, otherwise behaves like Auto
Mute: Mutes the Input
Repro: Always monitors the output of the Track

DaVinci Resolve 16.1.2 Manual | Page 2862 | Chapter 146 | Recording

Gionni

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 10:04 pm

Joining the conversation, hello everybody and thank you for helping! I was finally able to patch the iD4 to a track and I have signal showing in rec stand-by mode. All looks good. The problem is that after I stop the recording the file is empty!

Max @ DZM

PostThu May 07, 2020 2:45 pm

Hi folks,

It's been reassuring to read the thread and find I'm not alone in the issue. Unfortunately none of the suggestions have worked for me either.

I have a Zoom H5, iMac and Resolve 16.1.

Fairlight recognises the H5's channels (either the four, or two depending on whether I select 'stereo' or 'multichannel' when booting the device). However it does not hear the signal.

As others in the thread have found, Resolve is the only software on my computer which cannot hear the signal. It's infuriating. Any new fixes would be most welcome.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri May 08, 2020 8:31 am

Gionni wrote:Joining the conversation, hello everybody and thank you for helping! I was finally able to patch the iD4 to a track and I have signal showing in rec stand-by mode. All looks good. The problem is that after I stop the recording the file is empty!

Not sure how to help.. we dont know your OS or specific Resolve version you have.
is this on W10 with 16.2.1?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

danielpanev

PostFri May 08, 2020 12:47 pm

Max @ DZM wrote:Hi folks,

It's been reassuring to read the thread and find I'm not alone in the issue. Unfortunately none of the suggestions have worked for me either.

I have a Zoom H5, iMac and Resolve 16.1.

Fairlight recognises the H5's channels (either the four, or two depending on whether I select 'stereo' or 'multichannel' when booting the device). However it does not hear the signal.

As others in the thread have found, Resolve is the only software on my computer which cannot hear the signal. It's infuriating. Any new fixes would be most welcome.

Can you check if Resolve is listed in the Microphone access list in "Security & Privacy"?
Screenshot 2020-05-08 at 15.34.41.png
Screenshot 2020-05-08 at 15.34.41.png (428.16 KiB) Viewed 7522 times

If it is not then I do believe this is the problem. As far as I can remember this issue (not being able to add Resolve to this list) was fixed in the latest 16.2.1 release.

Steve Fishwick

PostFri May 08, 2020 12:50 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:gerardnaziri wrote:
If I select UltraStudio in the speaker preferences I cannot do any ADR recording

Configuring the UltraStudio as the Audio Interface in "Video and Audio IO" tab of Preferences will not allow audio input unless a valid video input signal is also present.

Can you confirm this? Because the only way I can capture audio with the Ultrastudio 4K Mini is in the capture pane of media page and then it is impossible to capture it without video too. There is no audio input for ADR with or without a video signal present.

Reynaud Venter

PostFri May 08, 2020 1:14 pm

Steve Fishwick wrote:the only way I can capture audio with the Ultrastudio 4K Mini is in the capture pane of media page and then it is impossible to capture it without video too. There is no audio input for ADR with or without a video signal present.
It is therefore advisable to use dedicated audio IO within the Fairlight ADR panel, be it third party hardware or the Fairlight Audio Interface.

Blackmagic IO is not currently an option for use within the Fairlight ADR panel.

Steve Fishwick

PostFri May 08, 2020 2:03 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:It is therefore advisable to use dedicated audio IO within the Fairlight ADR panel, be it third party hardware or the Fairlight Audio Interface.

Blackmagic IO is not currently an option for use within the Fairlight ADR panel.

I know, it's just you seemed to imply you could get an input - which gave me hope. Avid MC can capture audio only, or independent track you wish, from deck or wild. They seem to know how to do so with BMD's hardware. I'm happy just to use Fairlight as audio finishing and AAF back to Avid.

Return to DaVinci Resolve