Live Timing -- Automated graphic update & push to ATEM

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

nullfoxgiven

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:07 pm
  • Real Name: Ryan Randels

Live Timing -- Automated graphic update & push to ATEM

PostTue Aug 27, 2019 5:23 pm

Hey all! Quick question for you gurus.

I do a few sports broadcasts and are looking to up our production value by adding live timing & scoring statistics as an overlay. Right now, my overlay could be considered static, non-animated. I have a JSON/XML file that is constantly updated and I need to ingest that file, translate into the text of an overlay and push to ATEM.

What I'd like to prevent is having to layer scenes using key/fill to create the transparency. We've used an automated script and XSplit to do this in the past, however I'm sure there has to be better solutions out there which are made for this exact purpose.

Ideally, I'm looking for a solution to ingest the JSON/XML, it updates the text of the graphic, and then exports to a downstream keyer. Kind of how the ATEM Photoshop plugin works. It's so seamless and quick... looking for something like this.

I know that Fusion is capable of something like this, however feel it's like bringing a bazooka to a fist fight. Looking for something lightweight and intended for this purpose.

Anybody have any ideas / options?

Thanks all!
Offline

nullfoxgiven

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:07 pm
  • Real Name: Ryan Randels

Re: Live Timing -- Automated graphic update & push to ATEM

PostTue Aug 27, 2019 7:16 pm

Anybody ever run into an issue with pushing constant updates to the media pool? I'm wondering if the flash memory on any of the ATEMs would be harmed if static images were pushed every 10 seconds.
Offline

Robert Schemitsch

  • Posts: 15
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Live Timing -- Automated graphic update & push to ATEM

PostWed Aug 28, 2019 12:39 pm

You can use CasparCG to output fill and key and write your own Json scripts for html5
Offline
User avatar

frlawton

  • Posts: 18
  • Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:56 am
  • Location: United Kingdom
  • Real Name: Francis Lawton

Re: Live Timing -- Automated graphic update & push to ATEM

PostWed Aug 28, 2019 3:23 pm

Robert Schemitsch wrote:You can use CasparCG to output fill and key and write your own Json scripts for html5


Seconded, Caspar would be a great candidate for this.
Francis Lawton : Group Visual LTD. : www.groupvisual.co.uk
Offline

nullfoxgiven

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:07 pm
  • Real Name: Ryan Randels

Re: Live Timing -- Automated graphic update & push to ATEM

PostThu Aug 29, 2019 7:57 pm

Robert Schemitsch wrote:You can use CasparCG to output fill and key and write your own Json scripts for html5


Thanks for the CasperCG tip. I'll dig in more, however it looks like it's outputting to an SDI/HDMI card, which then in turn takes up inputs on the ATEM. This is what I'm trying to avoid. Does this sound correct? Or does the CasperCG server have the ability to output directly to the ATEM media pool? I'm having trouble finding proper documentation for Casper.

Thanks
Offline
User avatar

frlawton

  • Posts: 18
  • Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:56 am
  • Location: United Kingdom
  • Real Name: Francis Lawton

Re: Live Timing -- Automated graphic update & push to ATEM

PostMon Sep 02, 2019 8:53 am

Yes, I'm afraid you will need a key and a fill unless you fancy using a luma key or something like that which would only take up 1 input. It might be possible to write something that uses Caspar as a frame producer which would then push something to the media pool when a template is updated, but that sounds similar to what you already have.

If you're desperate to keep inputs, you could run the output of the ATEM into Caspar, overlay the graphics and then output Caspar to programme. Not exactly elegant though and would add some extra frames of delay.

Which ATEM are you using, out of curiosity?
Francis Lawton : Group Visual LTD. : www.groupvisual.co.uk
Offline
User avatar

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

  • Posts: 1095
  • Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: Live Timing -- Automated graphic update & push to ATEM

PostMon Sep 02, 2019 8:24 pm

live input with caspar add about 5-6 frames of delay ..

but caspar is great compared to images in media player , becasue u can add animations and motion graphics ..
http://www.media-planet.sk
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://tally.pytkin.sk
Offline

nullfoxgiven

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:07 pm
  • Real Name: Ryan Randels

Re: Live Timing -- Automated graphic update & push to ATEM

PostTue Oct 01, 2019 2:24 am

frlawton wrote:Yes, I'm afraid you will need a key and a fill unless you fancy using a luma key or something like that which would only take up 1 input. It might be possible to write something that uses Caspar as a frame producer which would then push something to the media pool when a template is updated, but that sounds similar to what you already have.

If you're desperate to keep inputs, you could run the output of the ATEM into Caspar, overlay the graphics and then output Caspar to programme. Not exactly elegant though and would add some extra frames of delay.

Which ATEM are you using, out of curiosity?


Thanks for this! Sorry, I wasn't notified when a reply was posted. Using the ATEM Production Studio 4k.

I'd really like to stay away from using Photoshop's export function as it seems like that's really taxing the system. I'm definitely going to look into using Caspar as a frame producer... do you have experience with this?
Offline

nullfoxgiven

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:07 pm
  • Real Name: Ryan Randels

Re: Live Timing -- Automated graphic update & push to ATEM

PostTue Oct 01, 2019 2:25 am

Roman Pytkin Pekarek wrote:live input with caspar add about 5-6 frames of delay ..

but caspar is great compared to images in media player , becasue u can add animations and motion graphics ..


Have any alternatives to suggest?
Offline

Ian Morrish

  • Posts: 394
  • Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:24 pm
  • Location: New Zealand

Re: Live Timing -- Automated graphic update & push to ATEM

PostTue Oct 01, 2019 5:06 am

CasparCG can do live keying with only one frame delay if you use a 4k Decklink card in Internal keying mode (rather than key and fill or as just a consumer with CasparCG mixer functionality).
In this mode, the video passes through the decklink card, from input to output, and CasparCG adds just the fill onto the video.
You would use this post program out from the ATEM.
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com
Offline
User avatar

David_Anderson

  • Posts: 26
  • Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:24 pm

Re: Live Timing -- Automated graphic update & push to ATEM

PostTue Oct 01, 2019 3:24 pm

You bring up some good questions. If you're doing sports broadcasts on a regular basis and looking to up your production value (which should allow you to generate more revenue) I'd look into a solution built for it. Unless you don't have 2 channels on your switcher to give, New Blue Titler Live 4 Sport and a PC running with a decklink or Mac using an Ultrastudio HD mini is my best go to solution.

I've tried Caspar CG and found it to be less than intuitive. YMMV.

Best,

David

nullfoxgiven wrote:Hey all! Quick question for you gurus.

I do a few sports broadcasts and are looking to up our production value by adding live timing & scoring statistics as an overlay. Right now, my overlay could be considered static, non-animated. I have a JSON/XML file that is constantly updated and I need to ingest that file, translate into the text of an overlay and push to ATEM.

What I'd like to prevent is having to layer scenes using key/fill to create the transparency. We've used an automated script and XSplit to do this in the past, however I'm sure there has to be better solutions out there which are made for this exact purpose.

Ideally, I'm looking for a solution to ingest the JSON/XML, it updates the text of the graphic, and then exports to a downstream keyer. Kind of how the ATEM Photoshop plugin works. It's so seamless and quick... looking for something like this.

I know that Fusion is capable of something like this, however feel it's like bringing a bazooka to a fist fight. Looking for something lightweight and intended for this purpose.

Anybody have any ideas / options?

Thanks all!
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
https://leadingedgemultimedia.com
(888) 336-LEMM
Offline
User avatar

frlawton

  • Posts: 18
  • Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:56 am
  • Location: United Kingdom
  • Real Name: Francis Lawton

Re: Live Timing -- Automated graphic update & push to ATEM

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 8:45 am

Thanks for this! Sorry, I wasn't notified when a reply was posted. Using the ATEM Production Studio 4k.

I'd really like to stay away from using Photoshop's export function as it seems like that's really taxing the system. I'm definitely going to look into using Caspar as a frame producer... do you have experience with this?


I guess you probably have enough inputs to spare for a key/fill arrangement then.

We use a very simple HTML scorebug with a javascript timer that Caspar plays. It's worked really well so far, but as others have said - it's not very intuitive, and can require a bit of lateral thinking to get things to work the way you want to. If you're interested, then I'd encourage you to look up posts relating to using Google Web Designer for HTML templates on the CasparCG Forum, I think that's the easiest way to get basic motion graphics with editable text.
Francis Lawton : Group Visual LTD. : www.groupvisual.co.uk

Return to Live Production

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests