What happend to user Australian Image? All postings are gone

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Robert Niessner

What happend to user Australian Image? All postings are gone

PostThu Aug 29, 2019 5:02 pm

All his postings have suddenly disappeared? I can see his text when someone quoted him, but his original postings seem all to be gone to limbo? Is that a forum software bug? Has his account been banned?
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

lee4ever

Re: What happend to user Australian Image? All postings are

PostThu Aug 29, 2019 5:07 pm

He probably embarrassed himself so often that he had no choice but to have himself deleted?

rick.lang

PostThu Aug 29, 2019 5:18 pm

Okay, but please let’s share a moment of silence anyway.

Remember Jessica Rabbit’s wonderfully insightful and resonant line that can apply to all of us, “I’m not really bad, I’m just drawn that way.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

ricardo marty

PostThu Aug 29, 2019 5:25 pm

Ther is a place for contrarians, maybe he left the forum.

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Robert Niessner

PostThu Aug 29, 2019 5:28 pm

ricardo marty wrote:Ther is a place for contrarians, maybe he left the forum.

Ricardo Marty

Yeah, but why got all postings deleted? Normally they just stay where they are and under the user name it says "inactive account" or something like that?
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Dan Sherman

PostThu Aug 29, 2019 5:59 pm

Users can't delete posts, so a member of the moderation staff has to have been involved.
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

Greg_E

PostThu Aug 29, 2019 7:46 pm

Might be GDPR at work, a user owns their info and can request that it gets deleted under these rules.

Dan Sherman

PostThu Aug 29, 2019 7:54 pm

Greg_E wrote:Might be GDPR at work, a user owns their info and can request that it gets deleted under these rules.

I freaking hate GDPR, It made my work life hell for several months.

Not to mention a lot of its just feel good fluff for the clueless and paranoid members of society. A lot of loopholes exist that let companies keep your information (or at least some of it) even if you want it removed.
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

Wayne Steven

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 12:16 am

Rick, one can draw oneself.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Steve Holmlund

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 2:14 am

lee4ever wrote:He probably embarrassed himself so often that he had no choice but to have himself deleted?

I didn’t agree with some of what Ray posted, but he used his real name and offered enough specifics that you knew that really was his real name. He put his stuff out there and was willing to take feedback. Maybe he’ll be back.

Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40 and 12-100, Panasonic 100-300 II
SmallHD Focus, i7 8700k / GTX 1080

Robert Niessner

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 7:46 am

I have reached out to Ray over his blog and got an answer. He is well and alive, but due to an incident on the Resolve board he felt that enough is enough and left. He asked BMD to get all his postings removed, too. He decided not to come back.

I can't go into specific details because I would have to ask him before revealing more.

I am glad it turns out not to be anything health related. Ray had a very direct approach to discussions, which lead to some heated discussions but also gave a new perspective and tried to be helpful as much as he could.

I for my part regret that he left.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Wayne Steven

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 8:33 am

Well, I'd be interested where that came from. It wasn't me, I avoid. I've had enough. Now I realise what I'm dealing with I simply don't bother enough. I've got a blinkered, conspiratist racist far right friend no longer wanting to talk politics with me here, because I don't just lay down and accept what he says, but point out how things could be wrong and how to decipher the incredible Olympic swimming pool load of conspiracies. It's just the other side of the coin from direct people who act like nothing credible is possible, except for what they know. I accept truth, and defend truth, should be a slogan. It comes back, to the imposter syndrome, and realising you are only a little cog in the truth, and then defending truth.

Some people simply need to nutritionally treat their ASD and then turn their talents around to do greater things.
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Wayne Steven

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 9:08 am

Actually, just noticed, this thread should be in off topic.

Denny Smith

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 3:54 pm

I agree with you Robert, I enjoyed some of my discussions with Ray, sorry had left the entire board over one Forum in it. He could have just deleted his Resolve Form posts, and stayed here in Cinematography Forum, while their is some overlap, this is a different group here. I wish him well.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Que Thompson

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 4:24 pm

Things have become very frustrating here. I suppose this is what adoption looks like.

Things aren't like they were in 2012, 2013. I think the users back then were people who did their research and were looking for a viable solution for cinematic images at a reasonable price. People are looking for the same thing today, but they watch YouTube videos and buy the camera thinking it will work like their t2i, just better.

Yes you're saving money, but this is still an advanced solution. There are many examples why this is an advanced solution, but I don't care to go in to that detail. The people I care about know what I mean. I find myself getting very irritated with some of the posts and I don't know what he said but, you can't argue with fools. Not calling them "fools" because they don't know anything, but because of the arrogance displayed by those lacking basic knowledge.

When you're learning you usually open your mind and put your ego to the side. Threads like "How Do You Make BRAW Not Suck" are the type of thing that get under my skin. Or... My footage looks washed out and desaturated... Instead of having 10 minutes of Google time, they'd rather just come ask. That's not my type of person, it's lazy and I don't feel like you deserve to have a superior image. That's just me.

John Paines

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 4:38 pm

Denny Smith wrote:He could have just deleted his Resolve Form posts, and stayed here in Cinematography Forum, while their is some overlap, this is a different group here.

Well, after being informed in this forum by Ray that a camera's design and weight distribution has nothing to do whether it balances on a gimbal, and that professional colorists are just envious of his natural maverick brilliance -- he argued for several pages over Color Management, without knowing what the term means, much less bothering to look at the manual -- it's not surprising that the same make-it-up approach to Resolve, where there actually are indisputable factual answers, would lead to a fatal encounter, if that's what happened.

OTOH, if this group could vote anyone off the island, who would count himself safe? Not this contributor.

Brad Hurley

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 4:42 pm

Que Thompson wrote:Things aren't like they were in 2012, 2013. I think the users back then were people who did their research and were looking for a viable solution for cinematic images at a reasonable price. People are looking for the same thing today, but they watch YouTube videos and buy the camera thinking it will work like their t2i, just better.

I don't think that was Ray, though. He was an experienced professional stills photographer, but also someone who liked to do things his own way and wanted to cut past what he saw as overrefinements or inefficiencies. In some ways he reminded me of the cookbook writer Mark Bittman, who had a column in the NY Times called The Minimalist: Bittman would spend time studying with great chefs and then experiment to find out how much he could strip from their recipes--including eliminating technique as well as ingredients--while achieving a dish with comparable taste.

The difference is that Ray didn't put in as much of that study time as he should have before offering opinions. I've done my own share of offering ignorant advice here on the forum, so I know firsthand how easy it is to start spouting opinions based on things you think you've figured out but are still woefully uninformed on.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Que Thompson

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 4:47 pm

John Paines wrote:...and that professional colorists are just envious of his natural maverick brilliance -- he argued for several pages over Color Management, without knowing what the term means, much less bothering to look at the manual...

Hilarious, I'm sorry I missed this. :lol: I consider myself pretty good and manipulating LUTs, but not a "colorist".

John Paines wrote:OTOH, if this group could vote anyone off the island, who would count himself safe? Not this contributor.

The only safe person in my book is Rick.Lang, lol.

Que Thompson

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 4:49 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:I don't think that was Ray, though.

I wasn't speaking about Ray, I was speaking to what he was probably responding to. I may be wrong in that, but that's what I was referring to.

Wayne Steven

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 5:24 pm

Que Thompson wrote:Things have become very frustrating here. I suppose this is what adoption looks like.

Things aren't like they were in 2012, 2013. I think the users back then were people who did their research and were looking for a viable solution for cinematic images at a reasonable price. People are looking for the same thing today, but they watch YouTube videos and buy the camera thinking it will work like their t2i, just better.

Yes you're saving money, but this is still an advanced solution. There are many examples why this is an advanced solution, but I don't care to go in to that detail. The people I care about know what I mean. I find myself getting very irritated with some of the posts and I don't know what he said but, you can't argue with fools. Not calling them "fools" because they don't know anything, but because of the arrogance displayed by those lacking basic knowledge.

When you're learning you usually open your mind and put your ego to the side. Threads like "How Do You Make BRAW Not Suck" are the type of thing that get under my skin. Or... My footage looks washed out and desaturated... Instead of having 10 minutes of Google time, they'd rather just come ask. That's not my type of person, it's lazy and I don't feel like you deserve to have a superior image. That's just me.

Well, I used to spend a heap of time answering newbie posts while lazy a holes were rude to them even though they had the knowledge and could answer very quickly, but then I realised I was about the only one left on a very large forum answering these. Uncaring laziness, and not my type of people. There used to be genuine people, seasoned professionals, full of patience, wisdom and knowledge who used to help people years before on that forum, not like a sadist wondering around looking to pick an argument about even inane little things they don't agree with, then just arrogant twits who came in looking for el cheapo camera experience and the other people left. You get nobody posting and just ... turn up and grunt in your threads. Yuck!

The biggest problem is forums are too lazy to put together a proper Frequently Asked Questions pages, or even software you forum members to submit frequently asked question answers. Instead they hostiley tell you to use search. But using search produces mainly garbage results, and trying to find a 30 second answer could take many hours, or days, while these people know but it is too much trouble for them to quickly answer.

But I know what you mean, that braw not suck thread, took the cake. I kept out of it for days, but it was just so out there, I eventually chimed in to ask if it was just a wind up. I mean Braw has it's minor issues, but not that much, and he didn't even touch on a real issue, did he?
Last edited by Wayne Steven on Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Niessner

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 5:39 pm

Que Thompson wrote:The only safe person in my book is Rick.Lang, lol.

Agreed. But if you say his name three times in a row he will buy another lens :D
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Wayne Steven

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 5:44 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:The difference is that Ray didn't put in as much of that study time as he should have before offering opinions. I've done my own share of offering ignorant advice here on the forum, so I know firsthand how easy it is to start spouting opinions based on things you think you've figured out but are still woefully uninformed on.

I used to cop that from him, but he seemed to mellow. Problem, with the brain disease, I can't remember what Ray was like at the end, wherever it was good or bad. I can't even remember if John, above, would get voted off the island or not, but I suspect he wouldn't. I know ironically, he came across a bit like my uncle. I couldn't even get to mention I actually knew cameras, he would stop you from talking after just a few simple words, he knew things from magazines. But, that is like what you get here, people bombarding what you have to say as if their experience covered it all. I've just had to answer an actual engineer (unusual) who joined in an off topic bombardment, with some links to some eye opening knowledge he didn't believe.

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 5:49 pm

This thread has served a good purpose and helped us define guidelines for our own interactions whether we are an expert or a novice. There’s so much to learn in this discipline as both products and aesthetics change. I appreciate Que’s remark, but I’ve both misspoken and been short on patience at times. I’ll take some of this advice here to heart and I suspect we shall all try to do better as well.

Disagreement is essential to our development, but how it is done affects the outcomes; a light rain promotes growth while a torrential downpour may destroy everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Wayne Steven

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 5:55 pm

Yes Rick, but with some, after many light showers you eventually realise it's not rain, and they keep coming back. Very unfortunate.

I'm trying to advocate on forums, the reverse block, where they can't see you to stalk you. Even if it is just for a week, or a month, to let things cool down before the block times out. And other initiatives I've come up with. Unfortunately in this age, things get less and less traction. So, I don't expect two way (double) blocks to turn up soon.

Chris Whitten

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 7:33 pm

For me, there's a real dearth of Braw educational material out there.
I'm signed up to training companies, and I watch tutorials online all the time, but in reality not many people who use Braw also make tuts, and the training companies aren't really explaining it, because they assume it's not going to attract many views.
If people do a tutorial on Braw its about grading it in Premiere or Final Cut.
In the big scheme of things Resolve is still quite niche, and combining Resolve with Braw is super niche.
I asked a basic question about Braw and Resolve in the Resolve part of this forum about five days ago and so far I've had no reply. Maybe BMD could have a couple of people help us less well educated on this forum, rather than leaving it up to other forum members.
Chris Whitten

Oyvind Fiksdal

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 7:42 pm

Wise words Rick.

To be cornered, is not a fun place to be. And when there is no openings left... we all do drastic choices.

A playful discussion can sometimes turn into a nasty dispute. A problem with forums in general, is that you don’t talk to a person face to face. You can’t see body language that is important to comprehend the whole meaning about an argument or opinion. Can we tell irony and jokes from wrongful statements? Opinions and arguments is necessary to drive the discussion. It makes us get new perspectives and evolve. Still, sometimes opinions are put down as wrongful facts. Or it seem so. That’s when it’s important to turn around to keep a healthy discussion. But sometimes It’s hard laying down the sword. Someone find that harder than others. Thats when it gets nasty. Even though discussion can be heated, we can choose to not corner anyone else or be cornered ourselves. Stay open minded and be classy.

John Paines

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 7:58 pm

Chris Whitten wrote:I asked a basic question about Braw and Resolve in the Resolve part of this forum about five days ago and so far I've had no reply.

At a certain threshold on the Resolve forum, questions which have been answered before won't be answered again by any of the usual suspects there (I'm one of them, for better or worse). And staff generally won't answer that kind of question. They're more concerned with answering questions about Resolve functions and attending to the reported beta bugs.

However, if you want to ask it again here, I absolutely promise you'll get a definitive, thoroughly authoritative answer, doubters be damned.

Wayne Steven

PostSat Aug 31, 2019 1:29 am

Oyvind Fiksdal wrote:Wise words Rick.

To be cornered, is not a fun place to be. And when there is no openings left... we all do drastic choices.

A playful discussion can sometimes turn into a nasty dispute. A problem with forums in general, is that you don’t talk to a person face to face. You can’t see body language that is important to comprehend the whole meaning about an argument or opinion. Can we tell irony and jokes from wrongful statements? Opinions and arguments is necessary to drive the discussion. It makes us get new perspectives and evolve. Still, sometimes opinions are put down as wrongful facts. Or it seem so. That’s when it’s important to turn around to keep a healthy discussion. But sometimes It’s hard laying down the sword. Someone find that harder than others. Thats when it gets nasty. Even though discussion can be heated, we can choose to not corner anyone else or be cornered ourselves. Stay open minded and be classy.

Most all the stuff I find a handful of people do who turn up on most threads to corner people, as the "thought" police, but who have trouble with the concept themselves. Insisting on an wrong opinion in the face of correctly put evidence is useless, it is one of the forum sins and these people will just side divert and suck up your time. That's why real advanced Pro's just abandon the forum system, and why I advocate a separate area for these people to discus in which we may read, submit questions too and not comment in, unless invited/voted in. Actually more like two level of areas apart from the normal area.

Wayne Steven

PostSat Aug 31, 2019 1:35 am

John, what I said, a frequently asked questions/knowledge database to stop this impass.

Imagine what new comers must feel about the eco system when they turn up. What are they to think, go back to another package, go to another package. But maybe I'm just being cynical, in the phone generation where you get no instructions on normal use.

Return to Off-Topic