Canon Cameras Don't Work

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

blinkingangel

Canon Cameras Don't Work

PostTue Sep 03, 2019 10:40 am

Hi,

I've recently purchased a BlackMagic Television Studio HD and I've only managed to pick up a video/audio signal from my GoPro Hero 5+ but not my Canon EOS750D or Sony HDR-PJ410. I would very much appreciate some help me on why this is the case. The only possible reason I've found online is that some cameras have a thing called 'HDCP' that stops some devices from picking up signal.

frlawton

Re: Canon Cameras Don't Work

PostWed Sep 04, 2019 8:55 am

It's been a little while since I did this, but as I recall I found that with a Canon 7D MkII, neither an ATEM or Decklink would accept the signal. Despite changing all the settings, it would never be received. Only plugging it into an Atomos Ninja Blade and then sending the signal on its way would let the signal through.

We never found out why, we replaced our cameras with proper video cameras soon after. It could be an HDCP thing, but I can't imagine why Canon cameras would be embedding HDCP when the only person's content you're going to be playing is your own.

With regards to the Sony, it could be a mismatched frame rate thing. Our Sony camcorders always output 50p to their clean outputs no matter what recording settings you choose. The ATEM requires all cameras to use the same standards, so we have to put them through an UpDownCrossHD to run the ATEM at 25p. Could be the same thing with the Canon camera, come to think of it.
Francis Lawton : Group Visual LTD. : www.groupvisual.co.uk

blinkingangel

PostWed Sep 04, 2019 9:01 am

Thanks very much for the response.

Unfortunately as I work at a college, I doubt I'd have enough budget to spend on a Atomos Ninja Blade. Saying that, we've just invested in a couple of monitors, so I'll try and send the signal through that. I'll let you know how it goes.

Yeah, exactly my thinking with the HDCP. It wouldn't make sense for them to cap it. Apparently HDCP usually gets used when they don't want the signal to be sent to anything other than a TV.

Admittedly I haven't tried playing around with the resolution/frame rate settings for the Sony camcorder. I'll try that today as well.

Xtreemtec

PostWed Sep 04, 2019 12:28 pm

Its all about proper output framerate and resolution that HAS to match the Atem.

Check the FAQ in the Live section for more info>> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=68455&p=382926#p382901
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

blinkingangel

PostFri Sep 06, 2019 8:57 am

Annoyingly I've tried matching the framerates and resolution and still nothing appears. I've tried connecting it via a Monitor and still nothing. I'm wondering whether somethings wrong with my specific device.

Denny Smith

PostFri Sep 06, 2019 5:00 pm

Connect the Canon camera to a monitor and see what its actual output resolution is, probably 1080i (when Camera is set to 1080p).
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

blinkingangel

PostMon Sep 09, 2019 10:37 am

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I've been able to get a signal by connecting the camera to a monitor and then connecting that to Blackmagic ATEM Television Studio HD. I had to change the Blackmagic to 1080i@50 to match the monitor's settings to get it to work. It's just annoying that I can't go direct from the camera to the device because going through the monitor means I have to have a separate monitor for every camera, which means more space/more wires.

frlawton

PostMon Sep 09, 2019 11:24 am

Yes, having to go through an intermediary is very annoying although I'm slightly glad it wasn't just me having that issue. I'm sorry I don't have a better solution other than to swap your current cameras with something else.
Francis Lawton : Group Visual LTD. : www.groupvisual.co.uk

blinkingangel

PostMon Sep 09, 2019 12:25 pm

Good news! I've managed to get my Canon 750D working direct with the BlackMagic ATEM Television Studio HD. Where I was going wrong was all this time I thought the recording mode on the camera had to match the settings on the BlackMagic but instead it's the monitor settings on the camera. For example, the display on the camera runs 1080i/50 and once I set BlackMagic to that it worked. You can check what settings the monitor on your camera works at if you connect it up with a monitor. My Viltrox Monitor when it turns tells you what settings it runs at.

My next problem now is that my different cameras (100D, 750D, GoPro) all have different monitor settings. So they don't work with each other. So I'm now looking at a way of seeing if I can change the display settings. I do have multiple 1300Ds, which will probably work together but ideally to get better video quality I want to work with the 750D and 100D.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Sep 09, 2019 3:43 pm

That is why normally you want to use all the same cameras. Also colors of different cameras will look different.

But a way to solve your input problems is to add a few UpDownCross HD converts to change the resolution to the needed input resolution. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

blinkingangel

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 3:01 pm

True, I would typically use the same camera but I work at a college where we have several different models for different purposes.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll see what I can do.

Return to Live Production