Blackmagic Mini Converter + BMPC 4k output problem

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Calvin Hartwell

Blackmagic Mini Converter + BMPC 4k output problem

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 6:56 pm

Hi all!

I have been testing different ways to capture 4k video from my Black Magic Production 4k Camera live through the SDI output port for live video.

I managed to get 1080p live video via an EPIPHAN AVI SDI->USB3 and it works pretty well, but goes blank when pushing out 4k. I believe this is a limitation of the Epiphan device and not the camera.

However, I am currently testing with a BlackMagic Mini Converter for SDI to HDMI 4k and I am still getting the blank output on a 4k monitor. 1080p works fine.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,

- Calvin

carlomacchiavello

Re: Blackmagic Mini Converter + BMPC 4k output problem

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 10:25 pm

Are sure that your sdi cable support 4K?
I remember that with my old Bmpc4k the common sdi work fine for 1980p, but blank with uhd, when I changed with better sdi cable 4K certied problem disappear. The same is with ursa mini pro

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 1:20 am

The Production Camera 4K only has a 6G SDI, if I remember correctly, the camera only outputs 1920x1080P (1080i60 added), the max it would output would be UHD 2160p, as the Camera only records UHD 3840x2160 ProRes and 4000x2160 in Raw only, so it is not going to output a full 4K signal. ;)
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Calvin Hartwell

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 8:58 am

Thanks for the replies all, I will try a newer 12G SDI cable and see if it makes a difference.

Denny Smith wrote:The Production Camera 4K only has a 6G SDI, if I remember correctly, the camera only outputs 1920x1080P (1080i60 added), the max it would output would be UHD 2160p, as the Camera only records UHD 3840x2160 ProRes and 4000x2160 in Raw only, so it is not going to output a full 4K signal. ;)

Just to clarify, I am using the bigger "Blackmagic Design Production Camera" and not the pocket and I have the 4k version with the Canon EF mount. Reading the small print:

The Blackmagic Production Camera 4K uses standard connections, so you never need to source custom cables. It includes a 6G-SDI connection for Ultra HD resolution or down converted HD output over a single SDI cable. The built in Thunderbolt connection lets you plug into a laptop computer and use the included UltraScope software for real time waveform monitoring, and the 1/4" jack mic/line inputs enable high quality uncompressed audio recordings. Other connections include a 12 to 30 volt DC input, a 3.5mm headphone input socket and LANC remote control.

Seems that it does have a 6G SDI interface which can serve Ultra HD (3840x2160 ProRes, not sure about RAW) so this should do what I'm after. However when I put it into this mode, the screen goes blank. Maybe this will be solved by a new cable.

What do you mean by "full 4k signal"? My understanding was that UHD is 4k (3840x2160), but there is also "Cinema 4K" (4096 x ????). Which mode or resolution are you referring to?

Thanks for the help! :D :D

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 5:33 pm

OK, good you find the output resolution specifications, I was not sure. As for video resolutions, UHD is 3840x2160, full 4K DCS is 4096 x 2160 (4K DCI), you do not need 12G SDI cable, a 4/6G cable is fine.

The Production Camera 4K, nor any BMD Camera, does Not output Raw Video, SDI out is only a YUV, 4.2.2. Video signal at the frame rate set in the camera, in this case you get UHD, to 30fps. However, if yiu select a clean feed out the SDI, then the camera may on,y output a 1080i signal, this is how BMD implemented 1080i on the earlier cameras. The camera was not really designed to record UHD out the SDI, which was intended for monitoring purposes, as recording was done in camera.

Try hooking the camera up directly to a SDI camera monitor that can accept a UHD resolution signal, and see what the camera is actually outputting at the settings you have set. Often many older adapters do not support UHD, or they do not support SDI A settings used by BMD.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

empyrus films

PostWed Nov 06, 2019 9:02 pm

I've had a similar issue using the Blackmagic Mini Converter (SDI to HDMI) with my BMPC 4K: I already had a Small HD 702 Lite with HDMI input (originally bought to use with the Canon 5D3), so the BM converter seemed the obvious solution. I got the BMPC 4K specifically so I could shoot 4K video, so I was dismayed to find the Small HD displaying a message saying 'No HDMI Signal' when I tried setting up.
I tried new HDMI cables & new SDI cables; when it still didn't work, I was sure it was a faulty BM converter, so bought a new one from CVP - still no signal!
It was only then I tried dropping the resolution on the camera, from 3840x2160 down to 1920x1080 (ProRes 422 HQ) when lo & behold, the monitor burst into life!

It would seem logical to assume that this, therefore, must be an issue with the BM SDI to HDMI converter; it simply cannot handle anything above 1920x1080. Incidentally, I plugged the camera into a Blackmagic Video Assist (with SDI input) & it worked perfectly, regardless of resolution, including 4K RAW.

It seems a bit strange that Blackmagic would produce a converter that is apparently incapable of doing the job for which it was designed. It looks like I'm going to have to buy a Blackmagic Field Monitor if I want to shoot in anything approaching 4K (should've stuck with the 5D3).

The only silver lining - those nice people at CVP are going to refund the cost of the new BM converter.

Denny Smith

PostThu Nov 07, 2019 10:34 pm

The issue is not the Converter, it is your SmallHD 702 Lite, which can only display up to 1080p resolutions, it can not display a UHD/4K signal, as it is a HD/SD only monitor. This is why when yiu set the camera to 1080p HD, it worked. ;)
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography