Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Prevent scaling of border width/outlines while zooming

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

banana

Prevent scaling of border width/outlines while zooming

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 10:05 pm

Hey guys,

short (nooby) qestion. How can I prevent a border width of a mask prevent from scaling, as I have an animated zoom applied using a transform node.
I am creating a map animation (imported SVGs) and the borders are transparent (using outlines of imported SVGs (unchecked "Solid" and applied a border width) as maks). So the borders are only polylines with a set "Border Width". The whole map is also zoomed during the clip, so I connected a transform node to the whole merged SVG-map stuff. But I don't want the borders to grow, as the view is getting closer/zoomes. Is there a checkbox anywhere I forgot to check, or something?
Thanks a lot guys.
Davinci Resolve 18.5
Intel i7 6700
Radeon RX570 8gb

Sander de Regt

Re: Prevent scaling of border width/outlines while zooming

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 10:17 pm

No there is no checkbox that you forgot to check. The border width isn't in pixels, but in percentages.
So if you come closer the border gets bigger.

However there is a way to deal with this.

Right-click your Border Width and select modify with-->calculation.
Then in the modifier panel right-click the first parameter (not sure what it's called of the top of my head) and connect to--> Your transform --> size.

Then set the operator of the calculation to multiply (or divide) and adjust the 2nd parameter to your liking. Now you will have a borderwidth that more or less adapts to your zoom settings. This should - in theory - take care of your line problems.

Come to think of it, it doesn't completely, but I'm not sure why. Math isn't my strong suit :-)
It will get you pretty close though. I'm pretty sure someone else on the forum will provide you with a better solution. ;)
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

banana

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 12:59 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:Right-click your Border Width and select modify with-->calculation.
Then in the modifier panel right-click the first parameter (not sure what it's called of the top of my head) and connect to--> Your transform --> size.

Hey Sander de Regt,
thanks a lot for your kind reply. That sounds like I good solution. I tried it out immediatly. I R-Click Border Widt > Calculation, R-Click the first paramter in the Modifier tab (which is First Operhand, by the way) > Connect to >.... but the contextual menue is empty. Unfortunatelly there is nothing I can connect to. I also tried the other parameters connect to anything, but there is also no choice.
Any idea? Thanks again
Greeting from Germany ;)
Davinci Resolve 18.5
Intel i7 6700
Radeon RX570 8gb

Sander de Regt

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 1:09 pm

You can only connect to things that are already animated. So if you animate the size first, then you can connect to the Transform1-->Size option.

Otherwhise you can make an expression and pick-whip the Transform size by typing = in the 1st operator field. This will create an expression field with a + sign. Click and drag to the size option in Transform and you're good to go. But like I said it's not a perfect solution. But it should help you get started.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

banana

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 1:45 pm

Dude, I'm such a donkey, and you are a genius. Donkey, because meanwhile I figured out the must of an animatied node for using "connect to" on my own (after I rashly posted my answer, and that hurts). And genius, because: It works! Great, thank you so much. I can get it rolling right now :)

Sander de Regt wrote:But like I said it's not a perfect solution

Anyway, if someone else knows a better, more convenient soultion, feel free to post. For future works I and the community may appreceate it very much. Thanks guys.
Davinci Resolve 18.5
Intel i7 6700
Radeon RX570 8gb

franciscovaldez

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 2:53 pm

I'm also looking into a way of achieving this.
MacBook Pro 13"
M2
UltraStudio 4K

Mac Pro
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

Sander de Regt

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 2:56 pm

Then follow the steps described in the previous posts and you should be good to go.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

franciscovaldez

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 7:13 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:Then follow the steps described in the previous posts and you should be good to go.

I'm new to Fusion, so maybe I'm not doing it right... I'll keep poking around.
MacBook Pro 13"
M2
UltraStudio 4K

Mac Pro
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

Return to Fusion