Battery Indicator Still 0% After 6.2.1

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ciordia9

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 7:05 pm

I thought 6.2.1 was supposed to fix battery reading issues, using stock blackmagic batteries and they used to read erroneous numbers, since the update it just reads 0%. I pretty much know where my battery time is based on enough usage but I think it's still pretty bad that you have to play a memory game with yourself to know this.

Did a quick search and found no one talking about it recently so I thought I'd ask. Am I an outlier? If so, thoughts?

If I'm not an outlier, are they going to address this sooner than later?

Denny Smith

Re: Battery Indicator Still 0% After 6.2.1

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 7:37 pm

Andy, First, you should tell us which camera, but since you referenced FW 6.2.1, I will assume Pocket 4K.
Next you know FW 6.2.1 only provides:
What's new for Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
Improved stability for future software updates

Nothing to do with the battery indicator. Next, BMD batteries lack the battery charge feedback pin, so battery life is limited to the default battery voltage indicator. If you use OEM Canon battery, you can get voltage and percent readings. Personally, I like Battery voltage indicator, as it gives a better indication of battery status. When you get to 7VDC, time to change the battery. Press the battery bar in the upper right hand screen to change between percent and voltage readings. The BMD batteries are not the best choice in a LP-E6 battery, but they do work OK.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 7:40 pm

The BMD-supplied LP-E6 battery does not have the internal hardware that provides the information used to calculate the power %. This was recently posted by BMD. If you use genuine Canon LP-E6 batteries (and some of the better third-Party batteries), you’ll see the accurate %.

Denny, types faster than me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 7:43 pm

I do not think so Rick, I stopped, ran to the studio, double checked which way the battery worked, then came back and finished then post... :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 7:45 pm

Denny Smith wrote:I do not think so Rick, I stopped, ran to the studio, double checked which way the battery worked, then came back and finished then post... :roll:
Cheers

Denny, I just sat down to check new messages but must have just missed your post before starting mine then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Ciordia9

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 8:02 pm

Hah, so sorry for not mentioning the product--my bad, you all are quite right and smart, so thank you.

That's weird to sell something your own equipment can't use, lol. Thank you very much Denny & Rick. I'll switch to investing in the Canon OEM's as it'd be nice to have something. I agree though, voltage is better. I build and fly a lot of multirotors and understanding your voltage is far better than some percentage.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Return to Cinematography