Video reference monitor for camera operator INCLUDING KEYs

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

jonw289

Video reference monitor for camera operator INCLUDING KEYs

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 9:29 pm

Relative novice to live production video work here. I was wondering if a solution exists for providing each camera operator with a video reference of their shot that includes all of the overlayed keys.

For instance, we have multiple cameras, but the live shot has a near-permanent upstream key which is displayed in the top right corner. The key is large enough that the camera operators need to adjust for the key (i.e. centering the shot relative to the key). We are currently using a Blackmagic ATEM Television Studio, and I could just send an SDI loop signal from each input on the ATEM back to a reference monitor at the camera, but the operator would not be able to see the overlays. Alternatively, I could split and send the LIVE feed to each reference monitor, but then the operator couldn't set their shot unless it was live.

Perhaps I'm over explaining, but could anyone help by pointing me in a direction that could help solve my problem? Thank you!

Xtreemtec

Re: Video reference monitor for camera operator INCLUDING KE

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 7:16 am

This is why with proffesional cameras you can toggle your screen to PGM feed to check. ;)

If you have Ursa or BMD Studio cameras you can do this by return the PGM feed to the camera, hit the PGM button and see what is the PGM feed. ;)

In all other cases. Use an extra monitor.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Zach Schuster

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 7:17 pm

The poor-man's approach is to take some masking tape and tape over the corner to approximate the location of the key. To prevent the adhesive from getting on the screen, fold the tape back so it sticks to itself where it covers the screen, then the only sticky part is on the screen bezel. It's cheap and it gets the job done.
Zach Schuster
SuiteCG- An All-in-One Graphics System for Live Sports
www.suitecg.com

Xtreemtec

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 8:03 pm

Almost the same technique was used by a Director that demanded a 42"or bigger multiviewer for a live multicam.

We bought a brand new 4K 43" screen, Fresh out of the box, And she grabbed a rol gaff and started applying tape onto the screen to cover the weird aspect ratio we needed to run.. :shock: :shock:

We had a lot of work getting the tape clean off again.. :roll: :roll:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production