BMPCC 6K keeps stopping

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Yellowfin

BMPCC 6K keeps stopping

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 10:54 am

Folks.

My new BMPCC 6K, will only record for a second or two and then stops.
in 6K recording mode it will record for 1(sec).28 and then stop with exclamation mark in the RED dot

I have turned OFF the "stop on dropped frames" option

The recording media is SDXC R300MB/s W299MB/s card.

** In ProRES is will record up to 1 minute.

What is causing this, I the unit faulty ?

Justin.

carlomacchiavello

BMPCC 6K keeps stopping

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 4:26 pm

Your media is in approved list?
If you put name I could check for you.
Check the supported media in support site of Blackmagic Design.
I not think can sustain enough to write speed for a 6k. Try braw 12:1, and later try to up and check but I not think is certified by Blackmagic Design for that kind of video

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Dune00z

Re: BMPCC 6K keeps stopping

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 9:54 pm

There is not nearly enough information provided to get help on this. You haven't indicated what compression you are using, what codec, brand name or model of media, etc.

You need to be specific in your details to get help.

The most likely situation is that the storage media does not have a high enough consistent write speed for the media and it likely isn't a faulty storage unit, but this is shooting in the dark.

Que Thompson

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 9:55 pm

Yellowfin wrote:Folks.

My new BMPCC 6K, will only record for a second or two and then stops.
in 6K recording mode it will record for 1(sec).28 and then stop with exclamation mark in the RED dot

I have turned OFF the "stop on dropped frames" option

The recording media is SDXC R300MB/s W299MB/s card.

** In ProRES is will record up to 1 minute.

What is causing this, I the unit faulty ?

Justin.

:lol:

You have no idea what you've gotten yourself in to. If you're not using this camera to make high end digital content for money, take it back and get something more user friendly. Used GH5 should work nicely.

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 11:08 pm

Or a Nikon Z6... :roll:
Most likely the OP is using the wrong SD card. Until he/she provides more info, we will not know what the issue is.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Yellowfin

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 11:48 pm

Folks

using a Sony 128GB SDXC II rated 300MB/s Read and 299MB/s Write; as that is the card I had handy. Its speed rating should be sufficient to handle more than 1 second of footage.
Also, even if it is dropping frames, it should not stop, if the stop on dropped frames option is off.

I have recently upgraded from the old BMPC 4K that had the slot for the SSD drive. Horrible battery, but writing to the internal SSD what never a problem on that unit.

I am planning to get the Wyse 1TB as the long term solution, but for now just trying to test out 6K 3.1 shooting.

Justin

Jamie LeJeune

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 11:56 pm

Two things:

1) As others have already stated, it's quite likely that your recording media can't keep up. Either check the manual for the camera or the link below to the page where BMD lists which cards have been tested and confirmed to handle the various formats and frame rates. Make sure the media you are using is on that list for the format and frame rate you're trying to record.

Current manual can be downloaded from here: https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/UserManuals/BlackmagicPocketCinemaCameraManual.pdf?_v=1567148400000

Current list of supported media is here: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/faq/59026

2) On page 2 of the recording settings in the camera menu there is a toggle option called "Stop Rec if Card Drops Frames"

When toggled on, the camera will stop recording if your media drops frames. In virtually all cases you'd want to leave this option on, but if for some reason you don't care if frames are dropped and want the camera to always keep recording, you can toggle it off.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

John Brawley

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 12:07 am

Yellowfin wrote:Folks

using a Sony 128GB SDXC II rated 300MB/s Read and 299MB/s Write; as that is the card I had handy. Its speed

The manufacturers numbers are meaningless.

What matters is what numbers they get to when in use by this camera, that's much more high demand than almost any other camera.

What matters is if it's BMD supported media because they test it.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/faq/59025

If it's not on this list then it's not supported media.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Denny Smith

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 12:44 am

And the Sony 128GB SDXC II rated 300MB/s cards are not on the list.
You need to use the recording media listed by BMD as approved.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 1:07 am

Last chance, be sure to format the card in the camera, nowhere else. Suggest exFAT format. If that fails, you know what to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Yellowfin

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 2:47 am

The card is a Sony SF-G128, It is not the TOUGH variant; but looking at the spec for the T variant, the difference is only the structural build of the card itself, not the electronics.

From the Blackmagic FAQ

The following SD cards are recommended for recording 6K 16:9 Blackmagic RAW 5:1 up to 30 fps.
* Angelbird AV PRO SD V90 64GB
* Sony Tough SF-G32T 32GB
* Sony Tough SF-G64T 64GB
* Sony Tough SF-G128T 128GB <-------------
* Toshiba Exceria Pro UHS-II 270MB/s SDXC 64GB
* Wise SD2-128U3 SDXC UHS-II 128GB

I have tried both format on PC and format inside the camera.

rick.lang

BMPCC 6K keeps stopping

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 3:39 am

It may not be electronics, but it might run a different version of the card’s data controller. Little card software changes can have big impacts in a cinema camera. And if you are correct that there may be something wrong with the camera, you may have to demonstrate that an approved card isn’t working either in your camera.
Rick Lang

Olivier Burri

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 5:19 am

Could also be a Battery issue.

I have seen such problem with faulty BMD compatible LP-E6 provided in the package.

I suggest to try with a fully charged original Canon batt and see if the problem persists.
Olivier G. Burri

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 5:52 am

Yellowfin wrote:The card is a Sony SF-G128, It is not the TOUGH variant; but looking at the spec for the T variant, the difference is only the structural build of the card itself, not the electronics.

From the Blackmagic FAQ

The following SD cards are recommended for recording 6K 16:9 Blackmagic RAW 5:1 up to 30 fps.
* Angelbird AV PRO SD V90 64GB
* Sony Tough SF-G32T 32GB
* Sony Tough SF-G64T 64GB
* Sony Tough SF-G128T 128GB <-------------
* Toshiba Exceria Pro UHS-II 270MB/s SDXC 64GB
* Wise SD2-128U3 SDXC UHS-II 128GB

I have tried both format on PC and format inside the camera.

The "SF-G128" is not labelled as a "V90" type card by Sony. V90 "video speed class" is required to handle the sustained write data rates of Pocket 4K & 6K cameras. "SF-G128T" cards are labelled as V90 by Sony.

Cheers.
-

Yellowfin

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 7:44 am

Folks.

Thanks for your replies. It appears that particular Sony card is not good enough.
I have ordered a 256MB CF Card from the approved list and will order a Wise 1TB from B&H.

Justin

rick.lang

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 3:45 pm

I have the Wise Portable SSD 1TB and very happy with it; very light and comes with a mount.

Be careful with your language! You hopefully ordered a CFast 2 card and not a CF card as that’s incompatible (CF refers to Compact Flash) with BMD cameras.

Rick Lang

Yellowfin

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 1:30 am

Thanks Rick. Yes, it is a Lexar 256GB CFAST 2.0 card 3400X speed as listed on the approved list

Krishna Pada

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 6:53 am

rick.lang wrote:Last chance, be sure to format the card in the camera, nowhere else. Suggest exFAT format. If that fails, you know what to do!

Rick, why do you suggest exFAT? I normally format my cards in Mac format, am I doing something wrong?
FILMWALLAH.
DR Studio. Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64 GB Ram, T7 for Resolve Cache
UMP G2, BMD Pocket 6K, Canon R5 C
Zeiss CP.3 15, 25, 50, 85. Zeiss Contax 25, 35, 50, 85, 135.

Uli Plank

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 9:43 am

Nothing wrong with that, but exFAT can be read by both platforms. If you use a Mac only, it doesn’t matter.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

rick.lang

PostSat Sep 14, 2019 1:07 am

Uli is correct and being able to easily handle exFAT on both platforms is helpful. But exFAT uses less resources and appears to be a little faster than HFS+ so if you have a performance issue, exFAT might help.

Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostSat Sep 14, 2019 5:49 am

Yes, it’s a tiny bit faster. OTOH, exFAT is harder to salvage if something goes wrong.had a case with the disk in a WD Passport Pro.
Choose your poison…
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

hancman

PostWed Dec 18, 2019 4:43 pm

Not sure this is the solution that will work for you but I have two BMPC4Ks that i bought new not long ago. I just upgraded them both to the latest firmware.
After the upgrade, my son took one of the cameras out and discovered that it would only record about 7 seconds of video then stop. My first thought was that maybe it was the SD card so I reformatted it and tried again to no avail i.e., it would only record about 7 seconds. Note he experienced the problem while recording at 4096 x 2160 and reformatting didn't help the problem. So i changed the recording format to 1920 x 1080. The problem disappeared.

I thought i better check on the other camera and discovered that it recorded on the media at 4096 x 2160 with no problem. Then I decided to reset the one that was doing the short recording and now 4096 x 2160 works.

Given that I had a prior problem where the camera was working a bit quirky, it seems, in this case, and the prior one, a system reset corrected the problem.

Hope this helps..

Mike...

Kellyp45

PostSun Jul 18, 2021 9:24 pm

Jamie's answer worked for me! Also, I don't think anyone should be told to return their blackmagic to get a less professional camera - I saw that in one of the comments. Its nice to have aspirations and goals. I am a photographer and have 5 different Olympus OM-Ds and they just aren't cutting it for me as I do want to shoot more cinematic videos. I should have bought the 4k first, but I didn't and there is no going back now.

floh79

PostThu Jan 19, 2023 8:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I hope it's alright to reopen this thread. I have a BMPCC 6K Pro and I am using an Angelbird CFast 2.0 AV PRO CF 1TB, AVP1TBCF. The card should be fine, but am I mistaken?

I have been experiencing several instances where the camera stops recording unexpectedly. I am aware that I can disable "Stop Rec if Card Drops Frames," but I am wondering why this is happening, since it is a fast card. Today it happened again, it stopped recording after 45 seconds with a red exclamation mark. After 30 minutes of "recording" :roll: , I found out that it had not been recorded. This scenario, I don't have the opportunity to double-check because there is nobody monitoring the camera while recording. The card was freshly formatted. The card was freshly formatted. I always format the card after recording is finished and the media is transferred to the file server.

I reformatted the card (using the camera itself) with Mac OS Extended and restarted the recording, and there were no issues this time. This happens randomly. Today I was using BM RAW with Constant Quality Q3 at 4K DCI (4096x2160), so this shouldn't be a high bitrate codec, or am I wrong?
Today, I was using a battery pack and genuine batteries from BMD (this also happens without the battery pack or when running on AC). Everything is new.

I think I should disable "Stop Rec if Card Drops Frames," but I want to know why this is happening. Maybe you could tell me if I could have a bottleneck? Any hints?

Currently, Firmware 7.9.1 is installed.

Best regards,
Floh

Jamie LeJeune

PostThu Jan 19, 2023 11:04 pm

Q3 is a "constant quality" codec, meaning that if there is relatively more detail in the frame, the encoder may drop the compression ratio low enough that the data rate climbs beyond what your card can record consistently without dropping frames.
It is also possible there is an issue with your card. I'd test using the constant data rate options to find out. The Angelbird AV PRO CF 1TB should be able to maintain consistent recording of 6K Blackmagic RAW 5:1 up to 50 fps.
CleanShot 2023-01-19 at 15.03.45@2x.png
CleanShot 2023-01-19 at 15.03.45@2x.png (72.51 KiB) Viewed 5297 times

CleanShot 2023-01-19 at 15.04.49@2x.png
CleanShot 2023-01-19 at 15.04.49@2x.png (211.14 KiB) Viewed 5293 times
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Adam0Twelve

PostFri Feb 10, 2023 4:33 am

Floh,

I am using the same Angelbird 1TB AV Pro CF card and had the exact same issue yesterday. Would only record for 10-30 seconds in a BMPCC 6K Pro with latest firmware installed. (Also had this happen in a brand new Ursa Broadcast G2 with this card).

Was using two different BMPCC 6K Pro on set as well as an URSA B G2, all had these same cards. One camera recorded flawlessly all day, one camera got the red exclamation firing and one in the case of the URSA refused to format the card at all in Slot 1, but worked in Slot 2. I have not got to do any more testing. I had to switch to SD cards and SSDs for the rest of the shoot.

I have no idea yet how to fix it yet.

Hopefully someone does.

Robert Niessner

PostFri Feb 10, 2023 9:48 pm

You should try downgrading the camera firmware to a version before recording Gyro data was possible. It is suspected that this might have a negative impact on the timing of the write processes.
As far as we know Gyro data gets written when the used lens is a manual one, and/or the lens OIS is switched off. So you could try to test with a lens with active OIS if the issue does not come up.

I would also contact Angelbird support and ask them if there is a fixed CFast card firmware for this - I know they try to optimize their cards for this. You would have to send then your card to Angelbird for the update (if one exists), as this needs special tools to do.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

nicowieditz

PostSun Feb 12, 2023 11:21 am

Yep, I had the same issues, but only with AngelBird Products, and they needed to update the firmware, after that process it worked perfectly.
Cameras: BM Ursa Mini Pro 12k (BRAW), BMPCC 6k (BRAW), Ronin 4D (PRO RES RAW)
Computers: MacPro 7.1 128 GB VRAM

Mike Potton

PostMon Feb 13, 2023 1:58 am

Adam0Twelve wrote:one camera got the red exclamation firing and one in the case of the URSA refused to format the card at all in Slot 1, but worked in Slot 2.

Interesting, I have the same issue with a Lexar 256gig card, it just won't work or format in slot 1, it's fine in slot two. Glad to hear someone else is having this issues, must be the URSA G2, the card works fine in my c300, Pocket and URSA G1

philpav

PostFri Dec 15, 2023 4:16 pm

Is the described problem still present with the Angelbird CFast 2.0 AV PRO CF 1TB, AVP1TBCF?
I can't find any firmware updates for this card on the website.

Return to Cinematography