Lights...

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Que Thompson

Lights...

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 9:00 pm

Is anyone familiar with these Godox lights for video?

They are supposedly comparable to Aputure 120d II ($745) and 300d II ($1099). I was in the market for a new light and came across these and thought wow, if I can get 2 or 3 lights for the price of one that may be something to look in to.

Has anyone used these lights? I've watched a couple of YouTube videos and they sound promising.

Stephen Fitzgerald

Re: Lights...

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 9:42 pm

Watch out for flicker at higher frame rates.

Que Thompson

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 9:52 pm

Stephen Fitzgerald wrote:Watch out for flicker at higher frame rates.

It seems that this is only true when you have a high shutter speed above 1/500. I'm not sure why anyone would be shooting at this shutter speed other than for an effect. I can see it happening with a YouTuber trying to get exposure and just scrolling buttons, but not on a cinema camera.

I'm thinking of trying one of them and doing some testing, just want to do some more research first to help me decide which one to pick.

rick.lang

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 4:07 am

Reading some of the reviews, it may be an inconsistent light operationally with one review mentioning the 200 was quiet and the 150 noisy. Often the cheaper lights may be flimsy, but I don’t know about these specifically. I think with the less expensive lights, you roll the dice. Even moderate cost lenses can be unsatisfactory with a light failing after a couple of shoots!

I’m also looking for my own lights and I’m overwhelmed with the cost of a single good reliable LED. I may end up with nice old-fashioned tungsten for interiors. So far I’ve used cheap tungsten.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Que Thompson

PostMon Sep 16, 2019 9:34 pm

rick.lang wrote:I’m also looking for my own lights and I’m overwhelmed with the cost of a single good reliable LED. I may end up with nice old-fashioned tungsten for interiors. So far I’ve used cheap tungsten.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, lighting is a massive undertaking when trying to build up a decent kit for yourself. I'm going to try the SL150 I think. I was going to get two SL60's, I think getting the higher powered light is better for what I want to do. I'll be diffusing the light and I don't to have a situation where I lose too much light because the modifier. At $240 for one SL150, I think I can roll the dice. The Aputure is just too pricey, they also just announced the Aputure 600d, no pricing yet, but I don't even wanna know.

rick.lang

PostTue Sep 17, 2019 4:27 am

I’d be interested in how you like that. I’m just afraid the budget lenses won’t last. If you want nightmares, read reviews if lights. One person will give 5 stars and say their light is perfect; another will say, failed the second time it was used!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

VINOVINKKELI

PostTue Sep 17, 2019 7:12 am

I don't have experience on these Godox lights. But I have experience with Pixapro LEDs.
https://www.essentialphoto.co.uk/produc ... dio-light/

I own the older versions MKII. Those aren't Bi-color. And they still make these MKIII versions also available just Daylight versions for a bit less money.

My experience with these lights been really good. I don't believe these lights have been designed to be used in extreme conditions and under extreme weather. But I have used these in those scenarios and can share some experiences and footage from those shootings.

--

The Ticket:
We used these couple of years ago in cold autumn weather. There was like 100% moisture in the air that night. Crazy thick fog. Still, the lamps went through that shoot like nothing. Even one of our crew members accidentally kicked one of the light stands and the light fell on the ground. From 2.5 meters hight straight to the ground on the light stand. I was sure that would finish the light, but no. It still works and I still use it. And yes, I know... ALWAYS sandbag your stands.

Here is the short we made during that night mostly improvising on the set. Just had the one night to shoot the whole piece. As minimal crew as possible. We just had fun and made this little short to promote a local film festival:

--

Sata Kaskelottia - Aamumandaati:
This one was a music video production. We shot it in extreme weather conditions. It was a cold winter day here in Finland. Like, REALLY cold (-25°C)! Again working with the as minimal crew as possible.

Last half of the video is shot during a night on the lake. Lights we used were these Pixapro lights. I asked from the manufacturer beforehand what they think if I take these lights outside in -20°C degree conditions. They just said "Hmm... these are studio lights you know? Use them on your own risk...". We had a lot of trouble with effects in those conditions (fake blood just froze in seconds) but with all the equipment ZERO problems. Lights went through again these shoots like nothing.

Here is the final piece:

--

This was quite a long answer without actually answering the question about Godox lights. At least here is a piece of optional equipment that I have had great experiences with! :)
Intel Skylake i7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 960 4GB, Win 10 Pro, System disk: Samsung NVMe M.2 960 EVO 250GB, Workdisk#1(MATERIAL): Samsung EVO850 1TB, Workdisk#2(CACHE): Samsung EVO850 500GB, DaVinci Resolve 15.2.3, Dell 34" Ultrasharp

Ryan Payne

PostTue Sep 17, 2019 2:21 pm

The sl60w is the most favoured, the colours aren't constant across the range many noting that their 150s and 200s don't match.

Some have tested that the 100 is no brighter than the 60.

I have the sl60w only and some reviews had fan noise and some didn't so QC is lacking. Mine was unfortunately very noisey and I had to replace the internal fan with a noctua 2000 rpm 80mm fan 3 pin. Runs quieter now but slightly hotter.

I can't comment on how it will match as I only have one but for the price even including the extra fan it's a great light. It can't however take the weight of a large octagonal softbox though, I have a 90cm selens softbox and while the plastic wrench would hold initially, any sort of bump or adjustment would make it collapse and point toward the ground, not very professional so I've resorted to only using the aputure light dome mini on it.

The biggest downside is the lights cooling design, if you are looking to run a bowens mount fresnel or anything that would smother the led chip you may get over heating as the air is pulled through the rear and out the front of the system, so anything over the led chip essentially blocks it's exhaust. I'm not sure how well the high powered varients would be cooled vs the sl60w.

Que Thompson

PostTue Sep 17, 2019 4:27 pm

Ryan Payne wrote:The sl60w is the most favoured, the colours aren't constant across the range many noting that their 150s and 200s don't match.

Some have tested that the 100 is no brighter than the 60.

I have the sl60w only and some reviews had fan noise and some didn't so QC is lacking. Mine was unfortunately very noisey and I had to replace the internal fan with a noctua 2000 rpm 80mm fan 3 pin. Runs quieter now but slightly hotter.

I can't comment on how it will match as I only have one but for the price even including the extra fan it's a great light. It can't however take the weight of a large octagonal softbox though, I have a 90cm selens softbox and while the plastic wrench would hold initially, any sort of bump or adjustment would make it collapse and point toward the ground, not very professional so I've resorted to only using the aputure light dome mini on it.

The biggest downside is the lights cooling design, if you are looking to run a bowens mount fresnel or anything that would smother the led chip you may get over heating as the air is pulled through the rear and out the front of the system, so anything over the led chip essentially blocks it's exhaust. I'm not sure how well the high powered varients would be cooled vs the sl60w.

This isn't sounding good guys! UGGGHHHH! I just want to be able to create soft beautiful lighting and not spend ALL my money on it. I planned to get a couple of Aputure Lantern's and a couple of SL60W at first. That would cost me about $500. I already have an Alzo 3000 from years ago, but it's just not enough. I then looked at the Yidoblo 3000 (ARRI SkyPanel knockoff with RGB capability), but realized that I'm not willing to pay that much money at this time. When you get in to that price range (1K+) as an indie, you really don't want to have any problems. It looks promising, but $1500 is not pocket change for me. This is my new mission. Lights. The Pocket 4K is more than enough as a camera, and I know proper lighting will take the image to the next level.

Gavin_c_clark

PostTue Sep 17, 2019 5:12 pm

Honestly, having just spent a huge amount of time looking into the same thing, I’d honestly say the market is moving really really quickly on led lights and I wouldn’t sink too much into it for a year or two.

My Arri tungsten fresnels still do pretty much everything I need them too. Buy some of those dirt cheap and sell them in a couple of years- I recently bought a few more for amazing value and Arri still carry parts for 20 year old units. Can’t say that will be the same with any of the current led options

I did buy an aputure 120d ii with light dome however and it’s a very good unit- but I can see a similar product being available for half the price within a few years

Stephen Knell

PostTue Sep 17, 2019 5:20 pm

Just bought 2 of the 60Ws. Fantastic value for the money. Didn't encounter any flickering in the frame rates/shutter speeds you'd normally use for interviews, etc.

You can hear the fan inside the light when it runs, but it's nothing that would be a concern, especially if you're more than 5 feet away from your mic source.
Stephen Knell
Platinum Multimedia

Return to Cinematography