Problem with installing 2 decklink 4k extreme 12G cards...

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

allen1d8

Problem with installing 2 decklink 4k extreme 12G cards...

PostMon Aug 26, 2019 11:00 am

Hello!

As the subject, I have 2 decklink 4k extreme 12G cards and each one installed in my PC is working fine. Once I try to install them into my PC together. They are all gone. I can't see any decklink device in the device manager and Blackmagic Media Express. I don't know where I did it wrong? I hope you guys can help me. Thank You!!! :D

Mainboard: ASUS WS Z390 PRO
Device: Decklink 4K Extreme 12G with Quad SDI sub card x2
Desktop Video version: v11.3 (Both card firmware updated)

Cooper

Re: Problem with installing 2 decklink 4k extreme 12G cards.

PostWed Aug 28, 2019 5:08 pm

Hmm could be an combatibility issue with the motherboards way of doubling and splitting the available PCIe slots (intel with their low available pcie lanes). You could try in different PCIe slots if it helps. And you could try plugging the molex for extra power for the PCIe slots if not already.

allen1d8

PostThu Aug 29, 2019 2:17 am

Hello! Cooper,

Thanks for your reply!
Yes, I always plug the 6-pin PCIE power cables to both card. For test this issue, I even unplug the graphic card. The picture below shows my slot configuration. But doesn't work.(OS's device manager and BMD's Desktop Video Setup and Media Express shows no device.)
Attachments
MyConfig.png
I have tried the best configration - 2-Way
MyConfig.png (545.03 KiB) Viewed 8851 times

allen1d8

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Hello!

I have tried to downgrade driver version to resolve this issue. I tried erery step version of Vidoe Desktop from v11.4(2019) to v10.3(2014)... It still no one can recognize 4k extreme 12G card x2. :?

bdaver

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 10:02 am

I am using same motherboard ws z390 pro and it seems any dual decklink pcie card just bugging the motherboard. It even prevents graphics card from getting recognised.

I have tried with Decklink Quad, Duo 2, Quad HDMI Recorder in any combination and when 2 decklink cards are on, it just disables all the ports.

Same cards on different motherboard just works fine.
One blackmagic and one other brand capture card also works just fine on ws z390.

Tried upgrading the bios but nothing changed.

Any leads welcome

Peter Cave

PostSat Jan 04, 2020 11:47 pm

I don't think it's possible.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Ian Morrish

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 5:44 am

What CPU do you have in the MB? Not all CPU's support the required number of PCI lanes. Some only support 16, 20 or 24. Check the Intel spc for your CPU.

I still run a XEON cpu as it supports 40 lanes (older 2011 MB)
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

sethlt

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 8:52 pm

allen1d8 wrote:Hello!

As the subject, I have 2 decklink 4k extreme 12G cards and each one installed in my PC is working fine. Once I try to install them into my PC together. They are all gone. I can't see any decklink device in the device manager and Blackmagic Media Express. I don't know where I did it wrong? I hope you guys can help me. Thank You!!! :D

Mainboard: ASUS WS Z390 PRO
Device: Decklink 4K Extreme 12G with Quad SDI sub card x2
Desktop Video version: v11.3 (Both card firmware updated)

Hi Allen,

So I came to give some feedback...buckle up!

I have been in a similar situation the past couple months. I was making a custom streaming box with 2 decklink duos and 2 decklink hdmi. 1 card would work perfectly. 2 or more in any combination would completely erase them from existence. I was puzzled and tried so many different things. I eventually tried them in some other custom built PC's I had access too and it worked fine!

So I started a conversation with ASUS...a lengthy, painful conversation with 3 RMA's. Finally I got some information. One engineer admitted that the board needed an added transistor to "work with blackmagic devices". I started to follow that path and complained enough that I got to some high tier support. At first they were going to bring the board in and add that transistor. Then they were trying to get me to try a different mobo (one that wouldn't even work with the CPU I had). Finally they decided to just buy back my board.

This is where I am currently at. A 3-6 week wait for a check. However in the meantime I started looking for another Z390 board. Unfortunately nothing else had the PCI-express ports that I wanted. So I went with the MSI MEG Z390 Godlike board. It just came in today and IT WORKS! I am so relieved!

So it seems like it is an issue with the ASUS board and I know this post is from August so I'm hoping maybe you have had some other luck but if not here is something you can try!

Good luck!

Seth

AlexDaniel

PostFri May 08, 2020 10:44 am

Hi! Sorry for bumping the old thread, but I found the solution and was able to fix my cards so that all of them work at the same time. Good news is that it takes just a few minutes to fix it. Bad news is that you need to do hardware fixes to your bmd cards with a soldering iron.

Basically, bmd cards have pull-down resistors that have a value that is too low. For motherboards that have a shared PERST line it means that the pin is pulled to GND without ever letting it to go up (so cards are always in the reset state).

I wrote a more detailed explanation here: https://github.com/RGVID-EU/FailMagic

turihaim12

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 6:50 pm

@alexDaniel

I've experienced the exact same problem with the Blackmagic Design DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder Capture Card

1. Do you think your solution will work for this card as well? ...and if so...

2. Any idea which would be the correct pull-down resister to remove on the Design DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder Capture Card?

Thank you, kindly.

Return to Getting Started