Smart Videohub

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

scottduvall

Smart Videohub

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 4:00 pm

Wondering if there will be any macro support on the smartvideohub to mimic what the smart control software is doing. I made the mistake of buying this thinking it was the same as purchasing the micro hub and the smart control in one unit...turns out not the case. I am doing live events, and need to be able to control multiple destination with a macro, so a number of different sources can be setup to destinations at any given event.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

Re: Smart Videohub

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 5:40 pm

Unfortunately there is no macro support on the smart video hub. It's definitely not as flexible as the smart control and Micro hub and it is 5 dollars more expensive.

It's strength lies in its need for zero setup. You never have to plug in an ethernet, or usb. Connect it to power and it's ready to roll. Perfect for fly cases and setups where you need 1 to 1 connectivity.

But the Microhub/Smart control has more flexibility. Smart control needs significantly more configuration. You can direct connect it to the hub, but it's gotta be connected to connected to a computer for programming before it's useful. it also needs to be powered separately. So you've gotta be rocking power over ethernet (which means a hub/switch/router that supports it), or you've got to rock a second power supply.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

scottduvall

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 3:40 pm

is it possible to purchase a smart control to use with my smartvideo hub? will that work, without me needing to purchase a micro videohub in addition?

Hersh Burston

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 12:54 am

Hi Scott,

One or multiple Smart Controls can be connected to your Smart Videohub. These can be daisy chained using the ethernet loop out connector. Once programmed you will be able to do the macro switching.

Regards,

Hersh Burston
Senior Product Manager
Blackmagic Design

Return to Live Production