Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera with LUMIX 7-14mm

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

sergioo

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera with LUMIX 7-14mm

PostSun Jun 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Could someone tell what is the result of such an association of :

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
with : PANASONIC LUMIX 7-14mm ?

Do you have a internet link (video sample whatever the camera and lenses used) jus in order to have an idea of the result on term of field of view ?

Thanks !!
;-)

Steve Lee Jean

Re: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera with LUMIX 7-14mm

PostSun Jun 02, 2013 4:27 pm

I'm not sure if the Pocket Cam will support the in-camera image correction required for that lens to work properly. Here's to hoping. It's a wicked lens on the GH3 though. :D
Director/Writer
Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA

Mac Jaeger

PostSun Jun 02, 2013 5:03 pm

The Pocket CC will not do any corrections for lens geometry, it stores the sensors pixels 1:1 to the card. Still the 7-14 is an awsome lens that will perform great on Pocket CC; just remember that the Pocket CC has a very small sensor, compared to other MFT-cameras: it uses only the inner parts of the image circle, thus the geometric and color aberrations will be considerably less then what you'd get on panasonic/olympus cams without correction.

There are no official video samples, the camera is not available yet, and won't be for at least two more months. You can find two short samples shot by JB with a beta-version of the camera, but afaik no part of it was shot with the panasonic 7-14.

rick.lang

PostSun Jun 02, 2013 8:13 pm

sergioo wrote:Could someone tell what is the result of such an association of :

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
with : PANASONIC LUMIX 7-14mm ?

Do you have a internet link (video sample whatever the camera and lenses used) jus in order to have an idea of the result on term of field of view ?

Thanks !!
;-)

Look on Photozone and you will see all MFT wide zooms from Panasonic and Olympus that are intended to be used on their mirror less cameras rely on the cameras' lens correction capabilities to correct for distortion and chromatic aberration. You can see what the distortion chart looks like and visually ajdust for the S16 size sensor and you will note there is still distortion for the BMPCC's sensor. Of course it will be more obvious when shooting architecture than tree branches and people.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Randy Walters

PostSun Jun 02, 2013 9:50 pm

I took a moment to look up this lens, because the range looks interesting...

I noticed that the focus works electronically; that is, the focus ring doesn't seem to be physically coupled to the lens mechanism, but instead "focuses by wire", electronically. On a camera like, say, the GH2, touching the focus ring automatically magnifies the view of the subject, and drives the motorized focus mechanism.

Will this still allow manual focusing on the BMPCC, or is that functionality lost - much like aperture control is lost on certain Canon lenses, like the 10-22mm zoom?

sergioo

PostSun Jun 02, 2013 10:03 pm

Thank you for all the responses.

I just bought the 7-14mm lens with the LUMIX G5...

Is anybody use the Lumix G5 camera ?
I do not find a lot of video footage on Youtube or vimeo just to know the quality of this camera...

I would like to compare with the BPCC

;-)

Ryan Jones

PostSun Jun 02, 2013 10:08 pm

Randy Walters wrote:I took a moment to look up this lens, because the range looks interesting...

I noticed that the focus works electronically; that is, the focus ring doesn't seem to be physically coupled to the lens mechanism, but instead "focuses by wire", electronically. On a camera like, say, the GH2, touching the focus ring automatically magnifies the view of the subject, and drives the motorized focus mechanism.

Will this still allow manual focusing on the BMPCC, or is that functionality lost - much like aperture control is lost on certain Canon lenses, like the 10-22mm zoom?

My understanding is because the BMPCC has an active m4/3 mount, you can retain manual focus but not auto.

Randy Walters

PostSun Jun 02, 2013 10:53 pm

Thanks, Ryan - that's good to hear. I'm not interested in auto, but would like to be able to focus manually! :)

Return to Cinematography