Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Resolve/Fusion FBX import

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

shirogtr

Resolve/Fusion FBX import

PostSun Sep 29, 2019 7:31 pm

Hey,
Speaking form a position of a freelancer who is trying to transition from After Effects to Resolve and Fusion. I've been learning Fusion for about a week, and currently I'm using the free version build into Resolve.

Problem description: Ive build a simple animated 3D scene in 3DS Max + Vray and already rendered a few layers of particles for my animation. The goal is to import some of the 3D objects together with 3DS max camera and merge it all together.

As I import .fbx file into Fusion only the geometry imports (rotated 90 degrees). Camera is not beeing imported. Only way for me to import camera to fusion is by saving .ase format. Fusion than reads the camera, but it's also rotated 90 degrees and Fusion ignores the movement of the camera in the scene (it just stands still while I move the timeline).

I've tried exporting using different settings of .fbx and .ase formats. (what I haven't tried is alembic, because max crashes while trying to save .abc). No success so far.

I've read somewhere else, that the workaround for this is installing Fusion 9 which has a proper .FBX Import dialogue box build in, saving the project, and opening it in the new Resolve.

Before installing, I read the features list which differs Fusion in Davinci Resolve Studio from Fusion Studio, and it clearly says:

"3D scene importing via FBX and Alembic, includes models, cameras, lights and rigs. YES"

Is it a bit of a disinformation or I'm just doing sth terribly wrong?

Kind regards,
Peter

Andrew Hazelden

Re: Resolve/Fusion FBX import

PostMon Sep 30, 2019 7:07 pm

Are you using the Fusion > Import > FBX Scene... menu item in Resolve to bring in the full FBX scene (cameras, textures, meshes) at the same time?

FBX Import Menu.png
FBX Import Menu.png (67.44 KiB) Viewed 6509 times

Adding an FBX Mesh 3D node manually in the Fusion comp with the "Select Tool" dialog, then using the "FBX File" field in the Inspector view to select the file on disk will only import the mesh data into the Fusion flow. It won't create a camera3D node, or rebuild the surface materials for you.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra / Threadripper 3990X | Fusion Studio 18.6.4 | Kartaverse 6

shirogtr

PostTue Oct 01, 2019 6:55 pm

I dont know how could I miss that.
Thanks alot for pointing it out.
I will do further testing tonight, because it seems that my fbx files are not saving camera data properly.

shirogtr

PostThu Oct 03, 2019 3:54 pm

I gave it a try.
FBX imports the timeline with animation, but the geometry and cameras show up in Fusion as dummies.
(when I import the FBX back to 3DS Max everything appears as it should)

I'll insert printscreen if forum allows it:

https://ibb.co/DbYW0h1

Andrew Hazelden

PostThu Oct 03, 2019 4:16 pm

Does the result change if you bake the camera animation to keys for every frame of your FBX export?

shirogtr

PostMon Oct 07, 2019 6:31 pm

Dear Andrew,
I tweaked my FBX export settings in 3DS Max further, based on what you wrote and it finally worked,
and for that I'm really greatful. Many thanks!

For people interested, I post screenshot of essential settings I use, when exporting 3DS Max FBX for Fusion:
https://ibb.co/Hx39fPv

Fusion imports the scene rotated by 90 degrees, and I haven't found a good solution for that yet, but Im sure I'll find a workaround soon.

Andrew Hazelden

PostMon Oct 07, 2019 6:34 pm

shirogtr wrote:Dear Andrew,Fusion imports the scene rotated by 90 degrees, and I haven't found a good solution for that yet, but Im sure I'll find a workaround soon.

You might try changing the FBX Import dialog's "Convert Up Axis To" ComboBox menu item from the default Y-up (Maya style) axis to use one of the other two options to match for your current 3DS Max scene up-axis setup.

FBX Import UP Axis.png
FBX Import UP Axis.png (84.79 KiB) Viewed 6320 times

Alternatively, you could add a Transform3D node to the node graph to scale the 3D scene size, and rotate the world, and translate it too.

shirogtr

PostMon Oct 07, 2019 6:41 pm

I set up axis to Y in both 3DS Max exporter and Fusion importer and the scene is positioned properly.
Im very happy, finally I can proceed with exploring the amazing node base compositing world:)

Andrew Hazelden

PostTue Oct 08, 2019 12:08 pm

shirogtr wrote:I'm very happy, finally I can proceed with exploring the amazing node base compositing world:)

That's awesome! Good luck with your project. :)

Return to Fusion