Text over video

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ewanpat

Text over video

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 10:55 am

Hello,

We are quite new users of an ATEM TV Studio HD & would welcome an expert opinion on the best way to set up text from a computer file being seen over a video camera view on the program output.

In our case the text would come from a Power Point presentation on a laptop with it's hdmi video output connected to channel 1 on the ATEM TV Studio HD. The video would come from cameras connected to the ATEM channel 5, 6 or 7.

I have worked out how to do Picture in Picture using the upstream key, but need to know how to keep the video visible behind the text. Or is there another better way of achieving this.

Ewan

Denny Smith

Re: Text over video

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 6:31 pm

If you have the text set against a green background, you could chroma key the video behind it. :?:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Kevin Copeland

PostFri Sep 27, 2019 1:43 am

The best way to do this is with PowerPoint on Windows is with the SimpleSupers.com app. It uses 2 additional display outputs and key and fill into the ATEM. Gives an alpha channel with the Downstream keyer. Works great. You don't have to worry about green screen or luma keys. You get the correct transparency that you set in PPT. A pre-built template gives you some great lower thirds with animation. Works great for us. Simple and inexpensive.

ewanpat

PostSat Sep 28, 2019 10:10 am

Many thanks Denny & Kevin for your replies.

I am not keen to change all the Power Point slides to green background as we also use them for screen presentation. Also would prefer not to use 3rd party software.

Is there no facility in the ATEM s/w for the TV Studio HD to organise text over video?

Ewan

Andrew Martin

PostSun Sep 29, 2019 9:11 am

Best is always a personal preference. What best suits me and the workflow / equipment I have, will not suit others.

Basics. If you have contrasting colours between the text and it's background you can use a luma key.
If you have text on a green or blue screen you can use chroma key.
If you have devices that can output key and fill use that.
If you have a program that can render an output with an alpha channel, simply load them into the media bins and pull from there.

Maybe tell us what you are using to generate the text and the answers will be better taylored.

From my mobile using Tapatalk

Kevin Copeland

PostTue Oct 01, 2019 12:53 am

I believe that model will allow you to load 20 still images with an alpha channel. You can key them with the Upstream or Downstream keyer.

There is also a plug-in for Photoshop that allows you to load them into the ATEM from Photoshop. Of course they are stills so no animation, just static lower thirds or graphics.

Thomas Seewald

PostTue Oct 08, 2019 10:46 am

Maybe this thread helps...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6212&p=39226&hilit=Excel+powerpoint#p39226

When you use light fonts on black background, you will get good results with DSK and luma key. See my post from Mar 22, 2013 8:47 am for some examples (Powerpoint and Excel).
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Return to Live Production