About a viewfinder for P4K ?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rick.lang

Re: About a viewfinder for P4K ?

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 9:52 pm

And 2500 nits when you need it ain’t bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Robert Castiglione

PostWed Oct 02, 2019 5:26 am

Hi,

My first post on this forum. I am a long time Red camera user and currently own the Red Epic X which I have been using for years. It still works flawlessly despite being dropped once. In fact it seemed to work better after it was dropped. I am quite astonished by the fact that a little inexpensive 4k camera is making its way into professional cinematography.

Anyway, a viewfinder is critical for the work I do and I have been doing research. In fact I am not really sure how people shoot without one. Forget the portkeys viewfinder. The fan noise on it is VERY loud. The only really viable option at the moment appears to be the Zucuto line and they are of course pricey. However, I am going to stump up the cash for the new Kameleon which is very light and has a small form factor. It is worth the cost because the Kameleon is vesatile and is usable on many cameras - it can receive both an HDMI or SDI signal. I am sure it will outlive the pocket 4k and be used on furture blackmagic cameras and others. .

Anyway, once I have the evf and and all the bits and pieces to set the camera up on a balanced proper shoulder rig I will let you all you know how I go.

Cheers

Rob Castiglione
Rob Castiglione
robcastiglione.com

Denny Smith

PostWed Oct 02, 2019 5:12 pm

I agree Rob, I also was brought up using a good pro EVF, and when shooting hand held or outdoors, You really need one. A good one like the BMD or Zacuto Gratical Line are a joy to use, and are effective.

However, for indoor shoots, the newer high definition monitors available today work very well also, are are actually easier and quicker to use.
Cheers.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostWed Oct 02, 2019 7:47 pm

That’s a very appealing EVF. Looking forward to your review of the Kameleon which was top of the wishlist until the relatively economical and flexible Blackmagic Video Assist 12G 7” 2500 nits appeared.

The BMVM12G7’s extra weight may be a challenge, but the ability work with a larger bright screen on an articulating arm has its place. My eyes need all the help they can get and it might serve as a director’s monitor too as well as an insurance recording. I’m almost always working from a tripod so it works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang
Previous

Return to Cinematography