Best mic for BMCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Gavin Benjamin

Best mic for BMCC

PostSun Sep 16, 2012 7:28 pm

Hey im not sure if this has been covered or not but what are people using for audio capture. Are people using the old style pre ampped shot gun style or does something like a rode work on this :?
G.

Nick Smith

Re: Best mic for BMCC

PostSun Sep 16, 2012 8:50 pm

This is something I've been wondering about as well. With the 1/4" Jacks it seems like you could get something a little beefier than the Rode DSLR specific microphones.

Mark Wilhelm

PostSun Sep 16, 2012 9:06 pm

A Rose NTG2 is probably what I would use. One AA battery for power and hook it straight in with a standard XLR to 1/4" shorty cable.

Thomas Ko

PostSun Sep 16, 2012 9:07 pm

I ended up buying a Rode NTG-2 rather than the Rode Videomic series. Since the Rode can use either phantom power or a AA bettery, that takes care of the lack of phantom power on the BMCC. Also since the NTG-2 has a XLR connector, I can just use an XLR to balanced TRS 1/4 cable.

simonkn

PostSun Sep 16, 2012 10:18 pm

Don't want this to be a Rode Big-Me-Up-Session...

But the NTG2 is on my shortlist of 1... Not much else within a couple of hundred pounds does the same thing... And without needing a Beechtec hung underneath too!

SK

jasonxinzhou

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 1:57 am

Sanken CS-3e + JuicedLink CX231 + BMDCC

Dave Reid

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 11:35 pm

I plan to but the Rode Stereo Video Mic Pro http://www.rodemic.com/mics/stereovideomicpro and use a 6 inch adapter cable.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 4:42 am

Depending on what I'm shooting, I'll use my Sennheiser ME-66 & ME-64 mics (which can operate off a AA battery inside the mic or phantom power from a mixer/preamp), my Sennheiser wireless lav mics (9V batts.), AKG wired lav mics (AA batt.), and misc. Shure mics via my SoundDevices Mixpre or Mackie mixers.

If by the time I get my camera the BMCC firmware hasn't been updated to include on-screen audio VU meters (and because I don't own a HD-SDI monitor with on-screen VUs):

A few quick back & forth tests (between camera & NLE) should allow me to determine an appropriate BMCC audio input level setting when using my MixPre. Since the MixPre built-in test tone is consistently repeatable, and the BMCC's audio input settings are percentage values (0-100%), once I determine the appropriate setting, it should always work. In other words, I only have to do one set of iterative tests.

Or, of course, one could use an external audio recorder. But personally, my dislike of using an external recorder (I prefer to have sound data permanently stored "in" my video files) means the above one-time workaround is well worth using.

simonkn

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 5:45 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Or, of course, one could use an external audio recorder. But personally, my dislike of using an external recorder (I prefer to have sound data permanently stored "in" my video files) means the above one-time workaround is well worth using.

awww Peter, and I thought you were getting the BMCC to go back to good old sync sound... "Recording! - Sync Sound! - Take one (clapperboard) - action.." The good/bad old days, eh??

SK - reaching for his Bolex EBM

JamieDrouin

PostSun Sep 23, 2012 10:17 pm

Has anyone who had a chance to play with the BMCC tested the inputs to see how decent they are at mic level? I do not see any details on the preamps built into the BMCC yet, and am curious if they're particularly good, especially if people plan on plugging a mic like the NTG-2 directly in.

Thomas Ko

PostSun Sep 23, 2012 10:54 pm

Some of the early users are saying that it needs at minimum a powered mic like the NTG2 but really helps to have an external preamp to have the best signal. I got the impression from their posts that mic level is noisy at high gain.

JamieDrouin

PostSun Sep 23, 2012 11:09 pm

Thanks Thomas...I was wondering if that was the case. It would be nice for those ultra-minimal setups to be able to use internal preamps. I guess the BMCC can't do everything well.

Thomas Ko

PostSun Sep 23, 2012 11:41 pm

From Frank Glencairn's blog on testing the BMCC

Since I had a ton of requests regarding audio.

Q: Can I just plug in my mic?
A: Yup, but you dont get stelar audio that way. You need at least a powered mic like the Rode NTG2.

Q: Can I just plug in my NTG2 powered mic?
A: Yup, but having a external field mixer or at least a low noise pre amp like the JuicedLink RA333 Riggy Assist or Micro, would give you a much better signal.

Q Since the BMCC has no VU meters (yet), how do I see what my levels are?
A: You need a outboard monitor anyway, so get one, that has build in VU meters. Even if BM updates the camera with VU meters, they are still on the build in monitor, where they are hard to see under certain lighting conditions.

Q: do I want an external recorder.
A: External recorders do work, but why go through all that extra time and trouble of syncing everything in your NLE, when the BMCC records a superb signal?
In fact it records a better signal (48kHz at 24bit uncompressed) than most, more expensive cameras (typical 44.1kHz at 16bit). All you need is a low noise field mixer or pre-amp.

From Day 6 on his blog.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/201 ... est-diary/

Return to Cinematography