Affordable reference monitor?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

GalinMcMahon

Affordable reference monitor?

PostThu Oct 03, 2019 3:46 pm

Still fairly new to DR and still loving it. One of the big frustrations is color accuracy on the monitor. My PC monitor looks fine to me but I know that it's not. The only real solution I've seen is to get a $40k monitor and that is absolutely out of the question since I'm not *yet* making money doing this.

Is there a cheaper way that is still really good? Not perfect of course but close enough. As I understand it, the problem is the GPU just won't put out the right colors and PC monitors aren't bright enough. So you have to go to SDI? Doesn't that still go through HDMI and the gpu?

I love the BM company and all they do. Their hardware is great but of course it's next level in pricing (and, yes, quality.) I see questions similar to this all over the interwebs. It would be super cool if someone in the know could put out an equipment list at different pricing levels, maybe with a 'how good' graph.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Greg_E

Re: Affordable reference monitor?

PostFri Oct 04, 2019 7:09 pm

You could go Intensity Shuttle USB to a decent HD reference monitor, just can't get HDR this way (I don't think). Keeping things HD would bring the price down.

You could calibrate your computer monitor, this would give you a closer match to real.

Once you calibrate your computer, you can calibrate an output monitor as well, and then use something like a Decklink card and go out to some of the better consumer monitors that people are using (give search on the forum a try, there are a couple different brands and models).

DisplayCal is the calibration software you need, and Xrite i1display Pro would be best for the hardware.

https://displaycal.net/

Looks like you can buy the hardware through links on his page, and that sends a small commission back to him.

Jack Fairley

PostFri Oct 04, 2019 8:02 pm

You can do HD monitoring with a Mini Monitor for $150, and an HD Eizo monitor for $1500.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Greg_E

PostMon Oct 07, 2019 2:00 pm

I didn't know Eizo had a monitor that cheap. That might be a good option for me with my Intensity Shuttle USB since it only goes up to HD output.

Brad Hurley

PostMon Oct 07, 2019 3:27 pm

Greg_E wrote:I didn't know Eizo had a monitor that cheap.

I didn't either. I paid around $2,400 for mine, but I live in Canada so the exchange rate boosts the price considerably.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Alex Aitken

PostMon Oct 07, 2019 11:55 pm

They have monitors that vary from $1,500 all the way up to $30,000+

Totally depends on your needs. Do you need HD, 4K, HDR or SDR?

The $1,500 CS Eizo and, for example, the CG series Eizo which is around $3,000, vary in the quality of the blacks and the contrast ratio. There are waaaay more knowledgeable people on here than me but you really do get what you pay for. If you're looking for HDR then there is no escaping those heavy costs at this time ($30k+).

Kays Alatrakchi

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 3:55 pm

Right now the best bang for the buck is the LG C8 or C9 55" OLED TV. Calibrate it and you'll be in really great shape.

There are some affordable choices from BenQ also, as well as Asus ProART series. The key is to calibrate the monitor no matter what.
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

clajbian

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 5:03 pm

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:Right now the best bang for the buck is the LG C8 or C9 55" OLED TV. Calibrate it and you'll be in really great shape.

There are some affordable choices from BenQ also, as well as Asus ProART series. The key is to calibrate the monitor no matter what.

Hi! I'm also looking for an affordable reference monitor. I read about de LG C8 and the B8 and they seem very good. But they are 80 PPI when in general reference monitors are between 120 and 136 PPI. Does anyone know if that could be a problem? I need it for color grading.

I read also about other LG, the 32UK550. It es not OLED like the others, its VA LCD, the rest seems a good choise. Is it??

Thanks!

Jack Fairley

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 11:44 pm

Artist monitors are normally around 30", hence the higher PPI. You'd want to sit further away from a 55" TV.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

clajbian

PostMon Jan 27, 2020 1:56 pm

Jack Fairley wrote:Artist monitors are normally around 30", hence the higher PPI. You'd want to sit further away from a 55" TV.

Thanks for your reply! Of course! I didn't realize till now, the bigger the monitor bigger the pixels will be in the same resolution. So less PPI. Sorry for my dumb question...

clajbian

PostMon Jan 27, 2020 2:35 pm

Finally I'm about to get the OLED LG 55 " 4K Ultra HD 55B8S. But I'm not sure if invest more and go for a C8 or C9. I read about the the difference and it is basically in the processor (a7 vs a9).

That means:
- B8 uses dual-step noise reduction, rather than the quad-step process found in the C8
- C8 can use HDR and HFR at the same time. B8, cannot support both simultaneously.

Does anybody know if that are relevant diferences for color grading?

Frank Engel

PostMon Jan 27, 2020 5:46 pm

Wouldn't noise reduction by the display by its very nature change what is being monitored, meaning that the content would not be accurate, defeating the purpose of having a reference monitor?

clajbian

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 2:08 pm

Frank Engel wrote:Wouldn't noise reduction by the display by its very nature change what is being monitored, meaning that the content would not be accurate, defeating the purpose of having a reference monitor?

Of course, you are totally right. That wouldn't have any sense.

Return to Post Production