Microphone not working in Linux standard edition

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

sg_x_2

Microphone not working in Linux standard edition

PostThu May 30, 2019 2:08 pm

I don't seem to be able to use my USB microphone (e.g. for ADR work) in the Linux 16.2b3 standard edition release. It's a Blue Yeti that works (with ALSA) in other tools such as Audacity.

Looking through the forums this issue seems to be longstanding but is usually mentioned as part of another thread, so I am posting here in hopes that someone from BMD can let us know either what we are doing wrong or what the plan is to resolve (heh) this issue.

Thanks!

sg_x_2

Re: Microphone not working in Linux standard edition

PostSat Oct 05, 2019 9:27 pm

Does anyone know if this has been addressed in any way? It's a showstopper for some...

Jim Simon

PostSun Oct 06, 2019 3:02 pm

USB audio has caused enough problems even on Windows and macs that I always recommend against using it.

Connect a normal mic to the proper analog input.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

sg_x_2

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 12:23 pm

Does that work on Linux? USB audio works on the other platforms, so I'm suspicious :(

Also, my inventory of microphones are all USB :(

jwamshop

PostSun Dec 22, 2019 9:04 am

It doesn't matter if it's a USB-microphone or not on Linux. It just doesn't work.
ADR shows 'ALSA'-devices, but they cannot be used, and there is no documentation noting that this would be a limitation on Linux.
Even more bizarre is that I've once seen a response from the support-guys with follow-up question along the lines of "Did you use an USB-microphone?" as if that would make a difference, but then not a single word more regarding what setup actually would work.
Not being told what the deal/status is makes this very frustrating. This is about the status of a significant feature, not about an obscure user-specific ill-formed bugreport.

Return to DaVinci Resolve