Official BM4KPC ordering count.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

bruce

Official BM4KPC ordering count.

PostTue Jun 04, 2013 4:15 pm

This is an official page to see who bought the Blackmagic 4K. Also, where and when? I ordered mine at Adorama on the first day of announcement. I see the hype but does it really have a lot of order?

dallascurrie

Re: Official BM4KPC ordering count.

PostTue Jun 04, 2013 4:33 pm

I ordered PC and 4KCC the day after announcement

Lorenzo Straight

PostTue Jun 04, 2013 5:09 pm

Adorama. Day after.
MSI GS60 Ghost Pro-4K-605-2.7 GHz Intel Core i7-5700HQ (Broadwell)-16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM-1TB 7200 rpm HDD + 128GB M.2 SSD-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M GPU (6GB GDDR5)-15.6" UHD + 4K IPS Display-3840 x 2160
-Windows 8.1

Dennis Westhoff

PostTue Jun 04, 2013 5:21 pm

..at ProMedia here in Austria..day after ;)

Randy Walters

PostTue Jun 04, 2013 5:24 pm

Ordered both from AV Alive, in the early morning *before* the announcements. :mrgreen:

My decision was based on the feature list photos that leaked the previous evening.
Last edited by Randy Walters on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terry Katz

PostTue Jun 04, 2013 10:41 pm

B&H, day after.
Terry Katz

Plotzki

PostWed Jun 05, 2013 1:05 am

I ordered mine in the it was launched.
Adriano Plotzki
www.youtube.com/hashtagsal
MacBook Air M1 | 8GB | 256 SSD
DaVinci Resolve Studio V17.2.1
Mac OS Bug Sur 11.4

Taikonaut

PostWed Jun 05, 2013 2:08 pm

Orderd the 4k and pocket camera on the day before NAB 2013 within minutes after the leaked photos appeared. Send the photos as email attachement and sent it to CVP to confirm my preorders.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Jun 05, 2013 3:58 pm

I pre-ordered a BMPC-4K cam the day after it was announced at the NAB expo:
http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/ ... ng-summer/

-

Jonas Bengtson

PostWed Jun 05, 2013 6:00 pm

Pre-ordered 10 minutes when the tweet images leaked.

João Gomes

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 1:07 am

Pre ordered with CVP (don´t laugh...) about a week after NAB.
Cameraman/Editor

David Chapman

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 1:01 pm

Ordered the morning of the announcement from Rule Camera. April 8 around 10am. A friend of mine ordered 2 about an hour before from the same place.
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

bruce

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 3:40 pm

I called BHphoto around 3PM day of announcement and the rep told me that they have close to 100 orders. Don't know if that is true or not. But I wanted to receive my camera during first shipment so I ordered from Adorama. At which time, adorama has not listed the camera online yet.

Brightsphere1

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 3:48 pm

Ordered from Adorama 2 hours after the official announcement..

simonspear

PostFri Jun 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Oh dear I was out of the country on a shoot when the 4K and Pocket were announced. I made it back to the UK and internet access during the last week in April and ordered both the 4K and the Pocket. I'm actually reasonably optimistic on the Pocket, but I'm not expecting to receive my 4K camera until well into 2014!! :D

Darryl Gregory

PostSat Jun 08, 2013 8:04 am

Is this really relevant? We won't see RAW for months after we receive the camera,
You will need the ATEM Production Studio 4K to use or benefit from the BM4KPC using Resolve 10,
and furthermore we will not see any RAW Sample footage before our money is spent and in BMD's
pocket.

Manu Gil

PostSat Jun 08, 2013 8:39 am

I ordered from Spain shop the first day.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Jun 08, 2013 2:33 pm

Darryl Gregory wrote:Is this really relevant? We won't see RAW for months after we receive the camera,
You will need the ATEM Production Studio 4K to use or benefit from the BM4KPC using Resolve 10, and furthermore we will not see any RAW Sample footage before our money is spent and in BMD's
pocket.

Hi Darryl: Sorry, but I don't understand your question/point? Maybe rephrase it?

There can be many benefits of shooting with a "4K" camera aside from distributing footage in 4K.

For example, I'm looking forward to shooting 4K ProRes HQ and editing in a 1080p timeline. Works great even on my old computer hardware & FCP7 software, and allows me to crop, or pan & scan, in post. And down-scaling 4K to 1080p in post tightens-up the grain/noise & detail, too.

I'm especially looking forward to shooting with a global shutter camera again; I hate CMOS "jello" & flashband artifacts.

The wider FOV of the BMPC-4K's "S35" size sensor will be a nice step up from my GH2's MFT size sensor, and a better match for the lenses I own.

For me, whenever BMD makes its new lossless compressed CinemaDNG RAW format available will be a nice bonus, although I'll probably shoot 4K ProRes HQ much more often than RAW. Depends on the project, and how/if the new RAW runs on my (& my clients') current editing hardware & software.

Of course, for me everything depends on if BMPC-4K early sample footage looks good or not. Hopefully we'll see some "soon".

Cheers.

Taikonaut

PostSat Jun 08, 2013 5:08 pm

simonspear wrote:Oh dear I was out of the country on a shoot when the 4K and Pocket were announced. I made it back to the UK and internet access during the last week in April and ordered both the 4K and the Pocket. I'm actually reasonably optimistic on the Pocket, but I'm not expecting to receive my 4K camera until well into 2014!! :D

I'm one of if not the earliest to order the 4k and pocket camera with CVP. The ML 5D hack is likely to persuade me to sell the pocket camera.

Mike Collier

PostSun Jun 09, 2013 10:32 am

Pre-ordered from B&H a day before the announcement. Actually switched my MFT pre-order made days after the MFT announcement. These two perfect timings (I don't check BMD or B&H or NAB sites every day, just coincidence) bumped me to what B&H says is "within the top 10". They won't tell me the actual pre-order number. All I hope is BMD goes against tradition and releases the B4K at the end of July-coincidentally when I get off the film I am on now...when I will have lots of savings so I won't miss the B4K money, I'll have lots of free time to test it, and a budding feature project on the way to use it on and start to make my money back (with enough leeway in time to compensate BMD's usual over-estimation of their delivery dates for hardware).

Also I have a friend who has an EF BMCC-so I am sure I will be doing AB tests to compare the performance between each with identical lenses early after it's launch.

It'll be good-I have had thousands wrapped up in Alphetron, rails, shoulder mount, follow focus, pelican, SSDs, Anton Bauer Batteries and mount, and the rest of the rig. So far its worked on an FS-100 a few times, T3i and a few times on my friends BMCC, but never on a good camera I own (although it is working its way to being in the black...I suppose that's not to bad-maybe support is like light equipment-always needed and never obsolete)

...Also-B4K is my new favorite moniker. Especially since the BMPC and BMPC have exactly the same acronym, but one has 4 times the resolution of the other. B4K-it's very nice, no?
Michael Collier, II
Cinematographer - Gaffer - Camera Operator

http://www.RandomAcronym.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3075740/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Joseph Hung

PostMon Jun 10, 2013 3:51 pm

Pre-Ordered both the BMPC4K and the BMPCC day of announcement from Adorama.

Robert Bentley

PostFri Jun 14, 2013 1:12 pm

I'll have the funds in a about a week to pre-order. I tried to pre-order now through B&H but apparently the funds have to be in there because they put a hold on them. They just don't charge it through until they ship it.

I guess this is good because the line to wait isn't as long, only those with funds can pre-order.

Mike Collier

PostFri Jun 14, 2013 3:46 pm

Robert Bentley wrote:I'll have the funds in a about a week to pre-order. I tried to pre-order now through B&H but apparently the funds have to be in there because they put a hold on them. They just don't charge it through until they ship it.

I guess this is good because the line to wait isn't as long, only those with funds can pre-order.

That nearly screwed me over. In the 9 months since I ordered the MFT and subsequently switched, my card expired and b&h canceled my order. It took a lot of wrangling to get bumped back up the list to my original spot.
Michael Collier, II
Cinematographer - Gaffer - Camera Operator

http://www.RandomAcronym.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3075740/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Robert Bentley

PostSun Jun 16, 2013 4:50 pm

So less than 25 people pre-ordered that check this forum. Another said 100 on launch from B&H. I think part of the problem is many probably fell off based on the wait, changed their mind, or because of the lack of footage, went elsewhere. Some may have just said screw it and got the $3k camera with a nice $1k lens. I've been tempted to go that route.

I'm curious on if there will be delays. I don't see why there would be if it uses pretty much all the same parts except for the sensor/chip. My guess is less than 500 are shipping.

Probably the first 200 are studios/rental houses around the world wanting to grab the latest gear to rent out. And around 300 or so filmmakers/production companies. There are only so many rental houses out there and so many production companies. I'd think most would have already caved and got the $3k version with the EF or MFT. The MFT is probably the biggest dissuader because I'd say a huge majority of low budget filmmakers are shooting with the GH2 and MFT glass and will be forced to go that route to not have to buy all new glass. So between those two, and the price, and even the new pocket camera, it should weed a lot of people out on waiting for the 4k camera and I'd think there wouldn't be much of a wait. :shock:

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun Jun 16, 2013 6:03 pm

Hi Robert: My guess is that thousands of pre-orders have already been placed world-wide for the BMPC-4K. How many thousands I don't know, but my guess would be at least 5,000 - 10,000 so far. But that's just a guess which could be wildly inaccurate.

No point debating or worrying about it now. It's not Aug. 1, 2013 yet. By then we'll know whether or not the cam has started to ship within BMD's self-imposed, hoped-for, squishy "deadline". We may never know an accurate estimate of how many cams are shipping at any point in time worldwide. BMD typically doesn't release shipment quantity info, as is their right.

-

adamroberts

PostSun Jun 16, 2013 6:11 pm

Robert Bentley wrote:So less than 25 people pre-ordered that check this forum.

Most people probably find this thread completely pointless and so have not added their names...

The UK alone probably has over 1000 preorders.

Mac Jaeger

PostSun Jun 16, 2013 6:32 pm

Robert Bentley wrote:So less than 25 people pre-ordered that check this forum. Another said 100 on launch from B&H. I think part of the problem is many probably fell off based on the wait

I think part of the problem is basing any estimates on forum users contributions. Most people waiting for the camera are busy doing other things than daily scouting internet boards. And even if one could interpolate order count from the scarce database this forum represents - what good would that be anyway? You'll never know the production capacities, or the distributions ratios, so it's totally uncertain when you will receive your camera. Might be september. Might be september next year, as you've obviously ordered only recently...

David Regenthal

PostMon Jun 17, 2013 4:24 am

adamroberts wrote:
Robert Bentley wrote:So less than 25 people pre-ordered that check this forum.

Most people probably find this thread completely pointless and so have not added their names...

+1
Windows 11 Pro
ASUSTek PRIME B660-PLUS D4 (LGA1700)
Intel i9-12900KF
128GB, nVidia RTX 4000
Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB (x3)

Oscar Romero

PostMon Jun 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Taikonaut wrote:
simonspear wrote:Oh dear I was out of the country on a shoot when the 4K and Pocket were announced. I made it back to the UK and internet access during the last week in April and ordered both the 4K and the Pocket. I'm actually reasonably optimistic on the Pocket, but I'm not expecting to receive my 4K camera until well into 2014!! :D

I'm one of if not the earliest to order the 4k and pocket camera with CVP. The ML 5D hack is likely to persuade me to sell the pocket camera.

+1. ML 5D kills BMCPC. IMHO

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Jun 17, 2013 11:59 pm

Oscar Romero wrote:
Taikonaut wrote:

+1. ML 5D kills BMCPC. IMHO

Unless you want a RAW-capable video camera that "fits in your pocket" with a small MFT lens attached, costs a fraction of a 5D ready-to-shoot (cam + lens + media), prefer medium & long AOV/FOV vs. WA, and so forth.

But if you need a 5D's specific features (stills capability, 135-format, lenses, etc.), then go for it.

-

Samjack

PostTue Jun 18, 2013 10:26 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Unless you want a RAW-capable video camera that "fits in your pocket" with a small MFT lens attached, costs a fraction of a 5D ready-to-shoot (cam + lens + media), prefer medium & long AOV/FOV vs. WA, and so forth.

But if you need a 5D's specific features (stills capability, 135-format, lenses, etc.), then go for it.

-

Not necessary the case since many people who are into videography will already have a Canon that will accept the ML RAW hack therefore spending another $1k on another camera that does the same make less sense. It doesnt have to be a 5DIII either. Even a 50D if someone wanted to buy will only cost $300 and it will have a S35 equivelent sensor compare to the S16 from the BMD Pocket cam. As for size I rather like the ergonomics of dSLR than a P&S because it allow better hand held stability which is necessary especially for a rolling shutter sensor.

Return to Cinematography