Microsoft Surface Laptop 3. Two displays via one USB-C

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Phil Side

Microsoft Surface Laptop 3. Two displays via one USB-C

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 9:20 am

Any thoughts on the forthcoming Surface Laptop 3 for Resolve? The video below (time 03:07) shows that you can connect two displays via one USB-C cable. Would that work with the new ability in beta 16 to output to two displays? It looks like it would be a very neat solution.

I'm guessing it will be the same as in this 2015 video for the Surface Pro 3

Brad Hurley

Re: Microsoft Surface Laptop 3. Two displays via one USB-C

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 10:28 am

Not sure about the displays, but you'd want to be sure to get the 15" version with the AMD Vega GPUs (either the Vega 9 or the RX Vega 11) and even then it's not clear whether those GPUs would have what it takes for working in Resolve....those are special "Surface Edition" GPUs and it's unclear what that means. Plus you can only get a max of 16 gigs of RAM.

If you're only going to use Resolve for editing, maybe a little basic color correction, audio, and nothing much in Fusion, it could work. But if you're hoping to use this as a full-fledged Resolve workstation it likely won't be up to the task. Is more information available on those GPUs? That's the key consideration when choosing a computer for Resolve.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Carsten Sellberg

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 10:32 am

Phil Side wrote: Any thoughts on the forthcoming Surface Laptop 3 for Resolve?

Hi.

Slim Laptops don't work well with Resolve. The CPU and GPU generate quite a bit of heat in any PC running Resolve. The needed cooling capabilities don't exist in a slim laptop.

Normally do I recommend people on the road to look for a medium to large sized Labtop so it can get reed of the generated heat.

You can't do the same work on a 6 core Laptop as on a 12 or 16 core Desktop, but for people on the road is the best laptops for Resolve, a powerfull Gamer Laptop with extra Ram and may be an extra MVMe SSD. But that will add to the total cost. Here is a link:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebookc ... 456.0.html

If you click on one of them, you go to a detailed review with advantages and disadvantages of that particular model.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Phil Side

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 11:01 am

I do have other machines capable of running Resolve, including a laptop. The problem with the laptop is it eats battery, even when I'm not using for video. I'd like to be able to use the new Surface as an all-round latop, which will be lighter than my current laptop and additionally won't necessitate carrying the power supply wherever I go. I would take the power supply if I were intending to do some video work.

I guess I need to wait for more reviews to become available. One of the reports I read said that Microsoft wouldn't let the reviewers take the Surface Laptop into a corner of the room and run tests on it. Apparently, that is unusual for a Microsoft launch event, so it could be that it is not as performant as they are claiming.

Ellory Yu

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 2:37 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:
Phil Side wrote: Any thoughts on the forthcoming Surface Laptop 3 for Resolve?

Slim Laptops don't work well with Resolve. The CPU and GPU generate quite a bit of heat in any PC running Resolve.

I had an HP Spectre 360 once and I just tried to run Resolve (I think it was v12). After 15 minutes, smoke literally came out of the computer and fried some internal chip. That was the end of the laptop.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

ricardo marty

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 4:20 pm

I have a gaming laptop that I use in the field. (It's a quad 2.9, 16 gb ram and nvidia 1060 6 gbbr)
I ingest 4k too reframe if needed and output in 1080. Works great, if needed I use proxy. I think the surface can work for you if you work in proxy mode even if you don't output to 1080 or 2k.

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 5:34 pm

There's a whole slew of laptops under the RTX Studio branding from nVidia coming soon and already available that will probably fit what you're looking for. I'm awaiting one (ZenBook Pro Duo, i9 model)...

They have updated cooling, Studio edition drivers, etc... and while some of them are re-purposed gaming systems that are being certified by nVidia for the RTX Studio brand + drivers, there are some... monsters in that lineup (like the modified Mothership with the i9 + RTX 6000 -- yes, a 24GB GPU) in a 15" chassis.

If you really want slim and portable, look at the newer MSI Stealth and Asus Zephyrus systems. The better ones these days do a good job of shutting down the discrete GPU when running on battery in order to provide SOME battery life. I made a low power profile for my m15 that enables it to give me a reasonable battery life, as long as I don't try to do anything heavy with it. Fire up Resolve or Scratch and you can practically see the battery charge status bar start shrinking :)

I don't expect that to get any better on a machine with two displays (one OLED), an overclocker's eight core processor, and a (overclocked) desktop GPU in it without a very severe perf limiting power profile for running on battery.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Gary Coombs

PostSun Oct 13, 2019 5:46 am

Rakesh, did you ever get the Asus ZenBook Pro Duo i9?
I've had mine for a week and it's everything I've ever wanted in a laptop.
I found mine at the Microsoft Store in Atlanta.
Asus ZenBook Pro Duo
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
15.6” OLED 4K (3840 x 2160) 16:9 Touch
Intel® Core™ i9-9980HK
32GB 2666MHz DDR4
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 6GB GDDR6
Latest Resolve Studio

Rakesh Malik

PostSun Oct 13, 2019 6:09 am

I'm still waiting for my reseller (XoticPC) to get a batch.

Everything I've heard leads me to believe that it will be worth the wait, but I hope the wait won't be much longer... I could use the extra perf

Sent from my H1T1000 using Tapatalk
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve