GPU or CPU or wait?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

BMNewb

GPU or CPU or wait?

PostSun Oct 13, 2019 5:49 am

Currently I have a quadcore CPU at 4.1 Ghz, 16 gigs of RAM and a 4 gig graphics card which I am happy with. I was thinking to upgrade either my CPU (which also means MOBO and RAM) or using that money to get a really good GPU with eight gigs of RAM. I read about how some graphics cards take on more rendering and bypass the CPU altogether and in some cases even smokes the CPU. My mobo RAM is fast, so it will not be too much of a bottle neck to upgrade the GPU (I think). Of course, the software has to be able to leverage the benefits of the GPU. I currently edit HD and my graphics card can handle 4K if I was shooting that. So I was thinking of dropping around $500.00 on the graphics card or mobo/ram/CPU--or should I just wait, save for a while get something more serious? The computer shop people tell me to upgrade the RAM/CPU/MOBO, but what else are they going to say?

AndreeMarkefors

Re: GPU or CPU or wait?

PostSun Oct 13, 2019 9:05 am

BMNewb wrote:Currently I have a quadcore CPU at 4.1 Ghz, 16 gigs of RAM and a 4 gig graphics card which I am happy with.

You answered your question by yourself.

Only upgrade when you're truly miserable, or if your productivity suffers.

If you're using Resolve, a GPU will offer more bang-for-buck in terms of real time playback and color grading.
Current camera: Canon R5C
Mac Pro 2019: 12c | Dual W6800X Duo | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K + LG 55C8
MacBook Pro M3 Max 16" 16/40, 64GB

Carsten Sellberg

PostSun Oct 13, 2019 3:19 pm

BMNewb wrote: Currently I have a quadcore CPU at 4.1 Ghz, 16 gigs of RAM and a 4 gig graphics card which I am happy with.

Hi.

If you are happy, will I suggest you to wait.

In Resolve the CPU is used to run the app, disk I/O and compression and decompression of codecs.
Resolve does all its image processing in the GPU on the graphics card. More CUDA/OpenCL Cores are better.

AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su have already confirmed that AMD are working on a High End Navi. We expect the first of the new 7nm Graphics Cards from nVidea in 2020 and Intel will also come with their first plug in Graphics Cards in 2020. Competition will always be good for the consumers.

There are two manufacturers of CPU's. New CPU's from Intel will normally require a new motherboard, but that is not the case from AMD. AMD have promised to keep the AM4 socket until 2020. If you can wait for the next generation CPU socket from AMD, will it be the thing to do.

Only buy more RAM if you need it today. Next generation RAM DDR5 will have the double speed of today DDR4 RAM and are on the way. I dont expect it to arrive later than 2021.

There are so mangy new faster technologies arrivering, so I will not recommend you to upgrade before you need to.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

BMNewb

PostSun Oct 13, 2019 5:29 pm

There is me and then there is DaVinci Resolve, so my happiness matters less than the program. There are issues with it, which is why I am looking at hardware upgrades, so it can be more reliable. Though, from what I read on the forums here, some people have really high end systems and they are still walking on egg shells. So I am thinking here, which upgrade will make Resolve happier, or less miserable. ;)

BMNewb

PostSun Oct 13, 2019 8:49 pm

@AndreeMarkefors HOLY CRAP!!! YOUR GPU HAS 16 GIGS OF RAM?!?!?!?!? DOES THAT EVEN EXIST?!?!

Michael_Andreas

PostSun Oct 13, 2019 9:02 pm

BMNewb

PostSun Oct 13, 2019 9:17 pm

@Michael_Andreas That is actually a car they are selling, the "GPU" is really a concept cardbaord mockup thrown in when you buy the car. The price gives it away.

Mario Kalogjera

PostSun Oct 13, 2019 9:23 pm

BMNewb wrote:@Michael_Andreas That is actually a car they are selling, the "GPU" is really a concept cardbaord mockup thrown in when you buy the car. The price gives it away.

Michael's link doesn't show the specs - it has 48 GB of RAM...too bad it's "only" DDR6 :twisted:
Asus Prime X370-Pro+R7 3700X@PBO+32 GB G.Skill AEGIS DDR-4@3200MHz
Sapphire RX6700 10GB
Adata A400 120GB System,A2000 500GB Scratch SSDs
Media storage:"Always in motion is it"
BMD Mini Monitor 4K
Windows 11 Pro+Resolve Studio 18+Fusion Studio 18

Return to DaVinci Resolve