Playback of social media aspects

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

raineyeric

Playback of social media aspects

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 5:59 pm

Hi everybody! I am working on more and more social media projects that deliver in multiple aspect ratios. These aspect ratios are required delivery aspects from marketing departments that put their ads on all the social media platforms. Facebook, instagram, snapchat, twitter..etc. We have black magic cards in all our bays and we are on Premiere. When our timelines are in the social media formats 1:1, 4:5, 9:16...they won't display on our monitors through the black magic cards. The workaround is nesting your social media into a traditional 16:9 timeline. Then it displays on the CLIENT monitors. We need this so clients can view the social media on client monitors and not just view it on our computer screens. Is there a setting with the black magic cards that will display the social media aspects in a monitor with the black bars on the sides...so can view with clients? Nesting social media in timeline really is a pain when you are trying to do changes on the fly and have clients look at the results quickly. We have about 6 editors here and it is really becoming a pain in the butt.

Davinci Resolve's timelines will do this automatically. It displays social media formats on client monitors correctly without nesting. We are actually testing moving over to Davinci Resolve for editing..but in the meantime we are on Premiere looking for a workaround that is faster than nesting. THANKS FOR ANY USEFUL INPUT!!!

castrorec

Re: Playback of social media aspects

PostFri Nov 17, 2023 9:39 am

I've dealt with the challenges of adapting content to different aspect ratios and platforms. It's not just about making content fit; it's about making it feel native to each platform. This involves a lot of trial and error and understanding the subtle differences in how content is consumed across these platforms. For instance, what works on Instagram might not work on Twitter.

When it comes to advertising on these platforms, it's a whole different ball game. This is where I found using adspy extremely helpful. It's assisted me in refining my advertising strategies, especially for social media. I can pinpoint the right target audiences and conduct comprehensive niche research with them. Keeping a close watch on competitors' advertising campaigns has also been crucial. It helps me understand what kind of content and ads engage users on each platform, allowing me to adapt my strategies accordingly.

PhoenixRiddle

PostMon Nov 20, 2023 2:25 pm

Oh, I get the challenge. Trying to make everything look good across Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter, all while dealing with technical quirks, is no small feat.

I'm not an expert on Blackmagic cards, but I've been down a similar road. It's frustrating when you have to do that nesting workaround just to get things to display right on client monitors. I've heard good things about Davinci Resolve's ability to handle various formats more smoothly. It's interesting that you're considering a switch. In the meantime, I wish I had a quicker solution for you in Premiere. Maybe there's a setting tweak that I'm not aware of.

It’s definitely a learning curve, adapting content for each platform. Like you said, what looks great on one platform can totally miss the mark on another. It's all about finding that sweet spot where your content feels just right for each audience.

Good luck, Eric!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke

Ragnorrk

PostSat Dec 23, 2023 5:40 am

Navigating the visual game on Facebook, Dumpor Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter is a whole deal, especially with those pesky technical quirks.

And man, the nesting workaround in Premiere is a headache I know well. Considered Davinci Resolve? Word on the street is it handles formats smoother. Your switch plans caught my interest.

Adapting content for each platform is a journey, right? Finding that sweet spot for every audience is the real art. Hang in there with the tech hiccups; maybe a Premiere setting tweak will come to light. Cheers to smoother edits ahead!

Return to Off-Topic