Newbie question about decklink

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

PrinceCorwin

Newbie question about decklink

PostTue Oct 29, 2019 12:33 pm

Forum and google search only yielded vague and confusing results so I'll ask here. I'm probably jumping in way over my head even worrying about this at this stage (I'm extremely new to video editing). I'm seeking to learn DR so I can create short product videos for my side business. Nothing major. But I keep seeing ads and posts about decklink and I can't figure out what it's for.

Blackmagic site states, "DeckLink cards let you capture from cameras, decks and live feeds directly into editing". So does this mean it simply bypasses me having to remove sd card from camera, insert into PC, and drag and drop file into File Explorer so I can open in DR? Other articles talk about video quality. I was under the impression that vid quality was governed by the camera used. Am I losing data/quality by manually transferring file from sd card to PC? I'm confused.
DR Free Version
Win 10 Laptop
i7 9750 2.6GHz
32 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

Frank Engel

Re: Newbie question about decklink

PostThu Oct 31, 2019 1:23 pm

There is no benefit to using a decklink to transfer files from a memory card. A decklink is the video equivalent of a pro audio interface.

The decklink would be for recording directly from a live feed from a studio camera (such as in a broadcast environment) or from a deck (such as capturing from tape rather than from a memory card).

Going in the other direction, if you want a proper full-screen monitor for color correction, a Decklink gives you professional outputs to connect such a display, or to connect your computer to a switcher for broadcast applications.

If you are not working with tape and you are not in a live video environment (broadcast, projecting at events, etc.) then the only thing you might need a decklink for would be connecting a proper video monitor for color grading.

PrinceCorwin

PostMon Nov 04, 2019 1:19 pm

Frank Engel wrote:There is no benefit to using a decklink to transfer files from a memory card. A decklink is the video equivalent of a pro audio interface.

The decklink would be for recording directly from a live feed from a studio camera (such as in a broadcast environment) or from a deck (such as capturing from tape rather than from a memory card).

Going in the other direction, if you want a proper full-screen monitor for color correction, a Decklink gives you professional outputs to connect such a display, or to connect your computer to a switcher for broadcast applications.

If you are not working with tape and you are not in a live video environment (broadcast, projecting at events, etc.) then the only thing you might need a decklink for would be connecting a proper video monitor for color grading.

Thank you. That was the clearest, most direct explanation I have found. I understand now. You mention using it for proper color grading. I assume that would also require a high end monitor to get any realistic differences than my $150 Dell?
DR Free Version
Win 10 Laptop
i7 9750 2.6GHz
32 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

Frank Engel

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 4:50 pm

PrinceCorwin wrote:You mention using it for proper color grading. I assume that would also require a high end monitor to get any realistic differences than my $150 Dell?

With a $150 computer monitor I wouldn't trust it to be accurate no matter how you feed a signal to it.

You can calibrate it and it should improve - better than uncalibrated for sure - but it will never quite be trustworthy for any professional work.

Ellory Yu

PostWed Nov 06, 2019 4:09 pm

Frank Engel wrote:... the only thing you might need a decklink for would be connecting a proper video monitor for color grading.

If you have a color accurate and calibrated monitor to use for reference, then you will need a decklink card.

resolve_ws.jpg
resolve_ws.jpg (380.4 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Post Production