URSA G2 Fixed Pattern Noise

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

winterwarrior

URSA G2 Fixed Pattern Noise

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 9:27 pm

Hello!

I am a new owner of a URSA G2 and I've been quite excited to get one. I knew in the past that BMD has had problems with fixed pattern noise but had it fixed and when doing research before purchasing, I didn't hear anybody talk about having FPN problems.

When shooting some low light tests, I knew that 1600 ISO would be the most I could push the camera and still get a pretty clean image. When I looked at the footage, I found horrible FPN in the shadows. Even at 800 ISO, it's noticeable when viewing the BMD Film footage but is hidden when graded.

I've attached two screen shots that showcase the FPN. Look at the top right of the image. The darker one is 1600 ISO and the more apparent is 3200 ISO (I know 3200 is unusable, I've just attached it for comparison.).

This is not caused by the lighting on the building, I can see the line pattern in other footage I've shot in different locations.

Is this normal? Or did I get a botched sensor?

FPN3200.jpg
3200 ISO
FPN3200.jpg (530.25 KiB) Viewed 4275 times

FPN1600.jpg
ISO 1600
FPN1600.jpg (533.16 KiB) Viewed 4275 times

timbutt2

Re: URSA G2 Fixed Pattern Noise

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 10:23 pm

First question: have you performed a sensor calibration?

If not, then perform a sensor calibration and see if that improves anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

winterwarrior

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 10:38 pm

timbutt2 wrote:First question: have you performed a sensor calibration?

If not, then perform a sensor calibration and see if that improves anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have done a sensor calibration. These were taken after a calibration.

Ellory Yu

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 11:49 pm

Do not underexpose with any of the BMD cameras. You can shoot low light but always with correct exposure using native ISO (ie. faster glass, lighting accordingly, etc).
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Jamie LeJeune

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 7:06 pm

winterwarrior wrote: I have done a sensor calibration. These were taken after a calibration.
I would re-run the calibration and test again. That doesn't look like fixed pattern noise to me. It looks like what you get when the camera isn't calibrated after a firmware update (and you should always recalibrate after any and all firmware updates).
In any case, you can't judge noise by the log signal. You need to be transforming the signal to your display color space and gamma (most likely REC709 at 2.4 or 2.2) before making any judgement about noise. Log gamma was not designed for display, it was designed for efficient data storage.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Oyvind Fiksdal

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 8:37 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:Do not underexpose with any of the BMD cameras. You can shoot low light but always with correct exposure using native ISO (ie. faster glass, lighting accordingly, etc).

Please enlighten us of this correct exposure. We are all ears.

Uli Plank

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 11:29 am

It's very simple: use false color. If areas are indicated as underexposed, i.e. dark purple, they will look bad.
Finally, with MacOS Sonoma, Apple has attained the quality level of Windows ;-)

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Oyvind Fiksdal

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 12:25 pm

Uli Plank wrote:It's very simple: use false color. If areas are indicated as underexposed, i.e. dark purple, they will look bad.

Are you suggesting that this solve the OP’s problem?

John Brawley

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 2:37 pm

winterwarrior wrote:This is not caused by the lighting on the building, I can see the line pattern in other footage I've shot in different locations.

Is this normal? Or did I get a botched sensor?

I don't think this is normal.

FPN tends to be vertical for starters. You have horizontal noise.

I would get in touch with BMD or your vendor. If this is a very recent buy I'd try and just do a straight swap for a new body.

I've shot a lot of G2 and I've never seen that kind of noise.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

winterwarrior

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 5:34 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
winterwarrior wrote: I have done a sensor calibration. These were taken after a calibration.
I would re-run the calibration and test again. That doesn't look like fixed pattern noise to me. It looks like what you get when the camera isn't calibrated after a firmware update (and you should always recalibrate after any and all firmware updates).
In any case, you can't judge noise by the log signal. You need to be transforming the signal to your display color space and gamma (most likely REC709 at 2.4 or 2.2) before making any judgement about noise. Log gamma was not designed for display, it was designed for efficient data storage.

I have run the calibration again and I am still getting the noise.

winterwarrior

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 5:36 pm

John Brawley wrote:
I don't think this is normal.

FPN tends to be vertical for starters. You have horizontal noise.

I would get in touch with BMD or your vendor. If this is a very recent buy I'd try and just do a straight swap for a new body.

I've shot a lot of G2 and I've never seen that kind of noise.

JB

I got into touch with the local vender but haven't heard back yet. I'll follow up on Monday. I also got into touch with BMD and they asked for a .braw file and am waiting for them to reply. I got the camera last Wednesday so it's very new.

winterwarrior

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 5:37 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:

Also, even after converting LOG to Rec709, I still see the noise. I posted LOG screen shots just to show the noise pattern better.

Michael Moore

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 9:11 pm

FPN is still a general issue for Ursa mini pro G2 cameras? BM change the cameras with this problems?

Pete Tomkies

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 10:09 pm

Is that image as is from the camera or has it been brightened up at all in post?

I have had similar FPN with my original BMCC but as stated above it isn't visible after grading.
Film maker • Director • DoP • Camera Operator • I write for Videomaker magazine

winterwarrior

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 10:18 pm

Pete Tomkies wrote:Is that image as is from the camera or has it been brightened up at all in post?

I have had similar FPN with my original BMCC but as stated above it isn't visible after grading.

The two images are straight out of camera. At 800 ISO, the FPN isn’t visible after grading. At 1600 ISO, it’s still visible and at 3200 ISO it’s extremely visible after grading.

Bastien

PostWed Nov 25, 2020 2:37 pm

winterwarrior wrote:
John Brawley wrote:

JB

I got into touch with the local vender but haven't heard back yet. I'll follow up on Monday. I also got into touch with BMD and they asked for a .braw file and am waiting for them to reply. I got the camera last Wednesday so it's very new.

Hi,

What was the ending of your story concerning FPN on the G2 ?

Thank you !
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 • DZOFilm Pictor Zooms • Easyrig Vario 5 Stabil G2
Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/bastienchill.dp/

winterwarrior

PostWed Nov 25, 2020 6:29 pm

Bastien wrote:
winterwarrior wrote:
John Brawley wrote:

JB

Hi,

What was the ending of your story concerning FPN on the G2 ?

Thank you !

Hey! BMD ended up viewing the footage I sent them and determined something was wrong with my unit. They said I could ship it back. I didn’t want to be without a camera for that long so I instead went to my local vendor that I purchased the camera from and after they did some tests, that also said I had a faulty unit and replaced it for free. I have since had no problems.

Return to Cinematography