BMPC 4K PL mount timeframe?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

Joseph Hung

  • Posts: 88
  • Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:37 pm
  • Location: Brooklyn, NY

BMPC 4K PL mount timeframe?

PostWed Jun 12, 2013 9:16 pm

When do you all think Blackmagic may announce a PL mount version, if at all? 3 months, 6 months, 2014 NAB?
Just trying to gauge. I already have the EF, am in line fo the 4K EF, but would like the 4K PL instead, if they decide to make one, which I think is very likely.
Offline
User avatar

Jace Ross

  • Posts: 426
  • Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:16 am
  • Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: BMPC 4K PL mount timeframe?

PostThu Jun 13, 2013 5:21 am

footagehead wrote:When do you all think Blackmagic may announce a PL mount version, if at all? 3 months, 6 months, 2014 NAB?
Just trying to gauge. I already have the EF, am in line fo the 4K EF, but would like the 4K PL instead, if they decide to make one, which I think is very likely.


If they do I'd assume 2014 NAB. They have their hands full at the moment trying to get 2 cameras out to fulfill backorders and 2 more cameras soon to be released.
BMPCC, FD Canon 28mm f2.8, Tokina 80-200mm F4, Tamron 70-300mm f4 C Canon J6x12 MFT SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Samyang 7.5mm f3.5
Rode VideoMic, Viewfactor Cage/Handle/Grip/Perspex backing
Offline

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

  • Posts: 277
  • Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:06 pm

Re: BMPC 4K PL mount timeframe?

PostThu Jun 13, 2013 11:40 am

Jace Ross wrote:
footagehead wrote:When do you all think Blackmagic may announce a PL mount version, if at all? 3 months, 6 months, 2014 NAB?
Just trying to gauge. I already have the EF, am in line fo the 4K EF, but would like the 4K PL instead, if they decide to make one, which I think is very likely.


If they do I'd assume 2014 NAB. They have their hands full at the moment trying to get 2 cameras out to fulfill backorders and 2 more cameras soon to be released.


The issue with the 2 current cameras is a sensor supply issue. This makes it tricky to gauge manufacturing capabilities at BMD. Its almost certainly higher than the BMCC saga makes it seem.

A PL mount BMPC isn't a NAB showstopper really, bit of a whimper in fact, and not worth delaying the BMPC PL till. IF it is the earliest they can even announce it then they might as well not bother as that would point to a second massive failure in their supply chain, and that's a lot harder to recover from than just one.
Offline
User avatar

Joseph Hung

  • Posts: 88
  • Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:37 pm
  • Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: BMPC 4K PL mount timeframe?

PostThu Jun 13, 2013 4:02 pm

Very good point. It's in their best interest to get the PL 4K out before NAB. Well, fingers crossed!
Offline

Robert Bentley

  • Posts: 44
  • Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:36 am

Re: BMPC 4K PL mount timeframe?

PostFri Jun 14, 2013 1:18 pm

I see a 6K model announced at the next NAB. I think it would be in their best interest to have the 4K model floating around, handle returns/firmware updates/problems with that first if any. Then roll out the PL mount after a few thousand people have used the camera.

As innovative as this company is, maybe we'll see a universal/interchangeable mount one day. MFT, Canon, PL, Sony, etc. :shock:

I'm just speculating. Supposedly the FS100/FS700 has a unique mount on it that fits a variety of lens types. I think that would be best for future BMPC cameras if something could be arranged.
Offline
User avatar

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

  • Posts: 2286
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:53 am
  • Location: Portland, Oregon USA

Re: BMPC 4K PL mount timeframe?

PostFri Jun 14, 2013 6:07 pm

Robert Bentley wrote:I see a 6K model announced at the next NAB. I think it would be in their best interest to have the 4K model floating around, handle returns/firmware updates/problems with that first if any. Then roll out the PL mount after a few thousand people have used the camera.

As innovative as this company is, maybe we'll see a universal/interchangeable mount one day. MFT, Canon, PL, Sony, etc. :shock:

I'm just speculating. Supposedly the FS100/FS700 has a unique mount on it that fits a variety of lens types. I think that would be best for future BMPC cameras if something could be arranged.


The "E" mount on the Sony cams has been discussed quite a bit here & elsewhere. Apparently Sony only licenses it to 3rd parties for use in lenses & adapters, not camera bodies (other than Sony's own). If true, BMD probably won't be able to use an E mount on their future cameras, unfortunately.

Meanwhile, BMD has EF & MFT, and may someday offer PL, too. That should cover a large percentage of users and applications. BMD can be very profitable without having to offer/be everything to everybody.

-
http://www.peterdv.com

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dondidnod, MSN [Bot], pnguyen720 and 32 guests