Which product for library archiving

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

avelasqu

Which product for library archiving

PostFri Nov 22, 2019 5:42 pm

I work at a University Library and am researching how to digitize older formats such as VHS, Laserdisc, etc. for our Digital Library/Exhibits. Could I get a recommendation of what product would be best for this type of work?

-Alan

Harry Parker

Re: Which product for library archiving

PostMon Nov 25, 2019 6:10 am

If capturing on a PC I would suggest the Intensity Pro PCI card with the analogue breakout cable. If on a Mac, then the Intensity Shuttle for Thunderbolt 2. If your Mac has USB-C Thunderbolt 3 you will need to research a compatible adapter.

In either case, for VHS capture, you will need a TBC (Time Base Corrector) to ensure a stable video signal.

avelasqu

Re: Which product for library archiving

PostTue Nov 26, 2019 3:33 pm

Harry Parker wrote:If capturing on a PC I would suggest the Intensity Pro PCI card with the analogue breakout cable. If on a Mac, then the Intensity Shuttle for Thunderbolt 2. If your Mac has USB-C Thunderbolt 3 you will need to research a compatible adapter.

In either case, for VHS capture, you will need a TBC (Time Base Corrector) to ensure a stable video signal.

Thanks, we are getting a PC with a Thunderbolt 3 connection. We do have an AVT-8710 TBC. I am wondering what the difference between the Intensity and the UltraStudio products are? Does the Ultrastudio give better capture quality? I think ideally we would want something that is more future-proof even if we have pay more.

I am also wondering if there is a way to connect multiple analog devices at the same time to these capture devices or will we have to disconnect cables if we switch between VHS, laserdisc, etc.?

Return to Getting Started