Can't import some .braw files into Premiere Pro.

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

SunnySpells

Can't import some .braw files into Premiere Pro.

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 12:09 pm

Hi guys,

We are experiencing a big issue with importing files and it's causing a real problem in our workflow.

We are using Premiere and have downloaded Blackmagic RAW 1.5.2, but can only import about 80% of our files into Premiere. The strangest thing is that all of these files play fine in the BRAW player and there seems to be no pattern as to what will import and what won't - for example, we haven't noticed any correlation in file size.

We have tried with other versions of BM RAW and are experiencing the same issues with 1.5.1 and 1.5.0

We have shot a documentary on the Ursa Mini Pro G2 and BMPCC 4K using BRAW Q5 and have about 6TB of footage but this issue has ground our post production to a complete halt, so we are really in urgent need of support here. The files that can't be imported are from both the G2 and the BMPCC.

I look forward to your responses.

Many thanks,
Sonny

antoine

Re: Can't import some .braw files into Premiere Pro.

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 6:32 pm

Hi Sonny,
Could you send us a .braw via Dropbox or Google Drive ? I am working on another BRAW importer for Premiere Pro and I'd like to see if there's something wrong with the .braw
Thanks
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

Grazza

PostThu Nov 21, 2019 4:42 pm

I'm having the same problem... Some files are OK, some are "not supported". The strange thing is they all came from the same BMPCC 4K

THope18

PostFri Nov 22, 2019 6:53 am

I have started experiencing this same issue today. About one quarter of my .braw files in my project are no longer linked. The original files play just fine in the Raw Player. I tried re-importing the problem files, re-installing the plugin, trashed preferences. I've done everything short of re-installing Premiere with no luck. When I try to re-import, or re-link the files I get the following error message:

A low-level exception occurred in: BlackmagicRawPremiereImporter (Importer:39)

This has also ground my edit to a halt. Anyone else?

AEeditor

PostFri Nov 22, 2019 4:39 pm

I'm also receiving the "File format not supported" error. I was just working on .braw files in Premiere Pro CC2020 last week and now all of my .braw files aren't recognized in PP. The Blackmagic RAW player still works perfectly fine. I don't understand what changed?

tywenkelly

PostSun Nov 24, 2019 6:57 pm

I am also experiencing this issue in Adobe CC Premiere 2020 (14.0).

I am working on a project containing .braw footage on two computers. All the footage is stored on an external SSD. The Premiere project file is synced via Adobe Cloud.

I have no issues working with .braw in Premiere 14.0 on MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave). Clips import and playback as expected. The unexpected behavior arises when I try to transfer work to my desktop running Windows 10 v1809 (build 17763.864). Comp specs are Intel i7-5820k, GTX 1070, and 16gb DDR4 2133mhz. On both my machines I have installed the BRAW 1.5.2.

After I edit in Premiere a bit on my Mac I want to do some coloring on my PC. When I boot up this same Premiere project on my PC, I am asked to locate the footage. I point it to the correct clips in the external SSD. A progress bar appears and loads completely. Upon completion a generic error is thrown: "Video Filter missing: AE.ADBE BlackmagicRawPremiereSourceEffect"

Nothing I've done has been able to fix this. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Premiere, AE, AME multiple times. I have uninstalled and repaired BRAW 1.5.2 multiple times as well. I have booted up Premiere holding shift to clear the effects cache. Nada.

FWIW running Premiere 13.1.5 with BRAW 1.5.2 installed works perfectly. Never had any issues. I suspect the Premiere 14.0 has somewhat or completely broken BRAW 1.5.2. The reason this is a pressing issue, and why I am not immediately jumping back to 13.1.5, is because the new re-frame tool available in 14.0 will save me TONS of time on my current project.

Side note: does anyone know the filepath for where the actual BRAW decoder file(s) lives in the Premiere directory? I would like to be able to check if it is even situated in the right spot.

SunnySpells

PostTue Nov 26, 2019 6:52 pm

We've been having so much trouble with these .braw files now in Premiere that we have had to resort to converting our whole 7TB of rushes to ProRes to be able to meet our deadlines. This issue has really crippled us.

Can someone from Blackmagic please get back to us with an answer as to what's going on here and when they can provide compatibility with Premiere Pro?

This is a bit of a deal breaker for us and we are now considering selling our BM cameras.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 4:34 am

Blackmagic RAW 1.6 is now available on the website and contains some improvements for the Premiere Pro plugin. Please try it.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

AEeditor

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 5:48 pm

Back to working for me. Thank you.

w111nk

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 6:28 pm

CaptainHook wrote:Blackmagic RAW 1.6 is now available on the website and contains some improvements for the Premiere Pro plugin. Please try it.

Blackmagic RAW 1.6 won't install on Premiere 2020

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 7:56 pm

w111nk wrote:Blackmagic RAW 1.6 won't install on Premiere 2020

Can you provide some information? It works here in our testing.
What OS version are you using? What machine specs? What happens when you try install, an error?
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

w111nk

PostThu Nov 28, 2019 4:45 pm

CaptainHook wrote:
w111nk wrote:Blackmagic RAW 1.6 won't install on Premiere 2020

Can you provide some information? It works here in our testing.
What OS version are you using? What machine specs? What happens when you try install, an error?

This is really interesting, i have tested if a have both Premiere 2019 and 2020 installed then the Blackmagic RAW 1.6 install all files in to the common folder, but if i run only single installation of Premiere 2020 on my system without Premiere 2019 installed then Blackmagic RAW 1.6 won't add any files to the common folder.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 7:35 pm

What OS?

w111nk

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 8:50 pm

CaptainHook wrote:What OS?

Windows 10

awakeman

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 3:03 pm

1.6 seems more stable while editing not getting the "low-level exception" errors but now I can't render the timeline! It crashes at random places when trying to render .h264 or prores with Export Media or Media Encoder. Anybody else have this? Just tried going to Premiere 2020 and same thing!

HELP!!!

awakeman

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 3:50 pm

1.6 is more stable but...Now I can't render my timeline!
It crashes at random points in the process and gives me this error below:

Error compiling movie.

Accelerated Renderer Error

Unable to produce frame.

Writing with exporter: H.264
Writing to file: /Users/...
Writing file type: H264
Around timecode: 00:00:40:13 - 00:00:40:22
Rendering at offset: 38.330 seconds
Component: H.264 of type Exporter
Selector: 9
Error code: -1609629695

pontusbelfrage

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 10:13 am

I am also experiencing this issue in Adobe CC Premiere 2020 (14.0) with the Blackmagic RAW 1.6
The dialog box says; - File format not supported - when im trying to import files.
I attached the screenshot and some other messages I got during this process.

My only guess is that the blackmagic raw premiere source effect is missing?
But I thought that the came with the installation of Blackmagic RAW 1.6?

Im on;
MacBook Pro 2014
Quad-Core Intel Core i7
2,5 GHz
Memory; 16 GB

Does anyone have an idea what to do?
Really thought the problem was solved when the Blackmagic RAW 1.6 arrived but nope:/

All the best
Pontus
Attachments
blackmagic raw premiere source effect missing.png
blackmagic raw premiere source effect missing.
blackmagic raw premiere source effect missing.png (85.25 KiB) Viewed 26900 times
A low-level exeption_blackmagic RAW_191114.png
A low-level exeption_blackmagic RAW_191114.
A low-level exeption_blackmagic RAW_191114.png (98.53 KiB) Viewed 26900 times
braw_file format not supported.png
braw_file format not supported
braw_file format not supported.png (219.95 KiB) Viewed 26900 times

mirceabanu

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 9:44 pm

I'm having the same problems :( any update?

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 11:32 pm

Try 1.6.1 - do you have the plugins in your folder?

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore

pontusbelfrage

PostWed Dec 18, 2019 10:21 am

Hello

I got it to work and figured out the problem. The 1.6.1 installation file for Mac OS doesn't install the plugins correct so if you're on Mac OS Catalina you have to make the folders manually in the Library folder then the installation package will find its way and install the plugins. If not the installation will say it installed successfully but that´s not true. On windows I don´t know, probably works fine.

All the best from Sweden

markusp80

PostSun Dec 22, 2019 9:16 am

pontusbelfrage wrote:Hello

I got it to work and figured out the problem. The 1.6.1 installation file for Mac OS doesn't install the plugins correct so if you're on Mac OS Catalina you have to make the folders manually in the Library folder then the installation package will find its way and install the plugins. If not the installation will say it installed successfully but that´s not true. On windows I don´t know, probably works fine.

All the best from Sweden

What folder/folders did you create, how did you name them? Full path?

I'm running Catalina on a 2017 iMac and I just installed the BRAW plugin 1.6.1. I can import the BRAW files from a BMPCC4K and edit the parameters in the Effect Controls tab in Premiere, but when I try to drop a BRAW file to the timeline, the only thing that goes on there is the audio track. No video! Really weird... The files work and everything but I cannot drop them on the timeline. Any ideas??

Richard Knight

PostTue Dec 24, 2019 11:38 am

Is your video track targeted?

Popdog

PostFri Aug 13, 2021 10:30 pm

Im having the same issue with a new cam and importing the files using Premier pro saying it doesn't recognise the file type using version CC 14.0
ive downloaded and installed the BM raw 1.6.1

can anyone help

antoine

PostWed Aug 18, 2021 7:36 am

Popdog wrote:Im having the same issue with a new cam and importing the files using Premier pro saying it doesn't recognise the file type using version CC 14.0
ive downloaded and installed the BM raw 1.6.1

can anyone help

Hi Craig, Latest version of BMD's PrPro plugin is v2.1 and you can find it on their support page https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

Return to Post Production