Color Shift on watermarked footage?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jacob Pritchard

Color Shift on watermarked footage?

PostTue Nov 26, 2019 8:45 pm

I may be ready to finally upgrade to the paid version to do some stuff that I need done on a project that can't be done by the free version.

One question: I'm noticing that footage edited with the Beauty FX seems to get a color shift on export (in addition, of course, to getting the watermark). The color shift does not appear within Resolve, and I've verified that it's not a color space or other issue by simply making a clip with the same footage on one timeline, with and without the FX.

I'm assuming this is an affect of the limitations (EG, the footage gets a watermark AND a color shift). However, I wanted to see if anyone could verify that this is the case (and it's not a bug in the Beauty FX), before I shell out for the full version.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Michael_Andreas

Re: Color Shift on watermarked footage?

PostTue Nov 26, 2019 9:09 pm

I don't know anything about Beauty FX. If you're not seeing any changes in the viewer, maybe you have "Bypass Color Grades" switched on in the upper right corner of the Edit page viewer.

Jacob Pritchard

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 2:53 am

Hmmmm, not sure that's the issue. I'm seeing changes in the viewer, they're just related to sharpness/smoothing (as expected). I can confirm that switching "bypass color grades" on does not cause a color shift.

Here's a look at the 4 versions. I'm sure screenshoting like this introduces a whole other element of color profile questions... but generally you can hopefully see that the first 3 are very consistent to each other but the third, exported clip with Beauty FX applied has a fair color shift.

The color shift isn't too crazy. BUT this clip would be cut in with other clips that don't have the beauty FX (or the color shift), and the jump between the two is definitely problematic.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 9.44.20 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 9.44.20 PM.jpg (181.06 KiB) Viewed 1513 times

Marc Wielage

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 4:04 am

Try the same effect over SMPTE Color Bars, and look at the signal on scopes. This will tell you immediately whether a color shift is happening in the export.

There are OFX effects that (deliberately) change level and color, but there are generally controls to bypass them or set them to unity gain. I've never seen this happen unintentionally with the Beauty or or Soften/Sharpen or Face Refine OFX plug-ins, which I use all the time.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jacob Pritchard

PostThu Nov 28, 2019 7:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'll give a shot of Color Bars and report back.

Jacob Pritchard

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 1:46 am

So I did the effect on colors and bars, and there is a definite additional color shift on the exported footage when the filter is applied.

This might even be a "feature not a bug", and just an additional element added to the watermark for the free version. However, I just want to be sure that I won't be seeing this color shift AFTER purchasing the studio version..... Is there any way to verify that pre-purchase?

Peter Cave

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 6:03 am

I have never experienced a colour shift on export when using the Beauty OFX effect.
Last edited by Peter Cave on Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Marc Wielage

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 9:14 am

What specific OFX effect are you using?
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jacob Pritchard

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 7:18 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:What specific OFX effect are you using?

Beauty.

But anyways, for anyone with similar questions down the line: I purchased studio version, exported with that, and no color shift, so all is good!

Thanks guys for your input.

Return to DaVinci Resolve