Suddenly no HDMI output on pocket 4k

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

asuhantsev

Suddenly no HDMI output on pocket 4k

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 9:11 am

Hi everyone!
Got the camera couple days ago and everything was going fine until the hdmi output stopped doing its thing. Firmware 6.6, tried different monitors and cables, factory reset, it just out of the blue stopped outputting. Maybe some of you saw this problem? No information on the internet other that one post on reddit with no good answers. All of my local blackmagic community haven't encountered this problem.

jsolterbeck

Re: Suddenly no HDMI output on pocket 4k

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 11:32 pm

Same problem with the 6K. Any updates on this?

Denny Smith

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 7:21 am

None that I am aware of, they connecting the camera HDMI to a TV Monitor and see if it displays there. What camera settings are you using? If you have the camera set to 120fps off Speed (HFS) recording, most external displays can not display that frame rate. Try setting the camera to 24-30 FPS and see if that displays.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

asuhantsev

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 8:25 am

Follow up: that happened after I connected both ext monitor and a camera to the same v-mount battery. Not instantly, but in the same time frame. Have I fried it? Dug up some information and it seems common that connecting both monitor and camera to the same battery (and then connecting them by hdmi) my cause some damage.
If so, is that a pricey repair? Anyone with experience of frying hdmi's?

asuhantsev

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 5:53 pm

jsolterbeck wrote:Same problem with the 6K. Any updates on this?

refer to my reply above. Have you connected the ext. monitor together to the same v mount battery? It seems that voltage can go through HDMI and damage HDMI controller inside. Your port smoked or felt like something burned? If not, you should go to BM for warranty, some people on the internet with the same issue has resolved it that way. If you don't have your warranty or wish to do it yourself, the component is common and can be replaced in any electronics workshop.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 1:14 am

asuhantsev wrote:Follow up: that happened after I connected both ext monitor and a camera to the same v-mount battery. Not instantly, but in the same time frame. Have I fried it? Dug up some information and it seems common that connecting both monitor and camera to the same battery (and then connecting them by hdmi) my cause some damage.

Do you have a photo of the V-mount battery and which connections you'd used for the ext monitor and camera?

What make/model is the external monitor?

Do you remember the sequence of connection and the sequence the devices were powered on?

vivoices

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 7:05 am

I always power the Pocket 6K and an ext. monitor from the same v-mount battery plate. Camera from P-Tap, monitor from 12V DC out.
Power and HDMI are connected while both camera and monitor are switched off. Then camera is turned on and then the monitor.

No problems so far.

I will need to connect a BMD Micro converter to the 5V output of the battery plate as well as an external sound recorder via the P-Tap of the battery and TC connected to the Pocket 6K.

Should I be worried and look for a better power solution?
Udo Jansen

Win 10 Pro 22H2, Resolve Studio 18.6.4, R9 5950X, 128 GB RAM, Quadro P4000 (8GB VRAM) 551.61 NSD, Intensity Pro 4K | Pocket6Ks FW7.9.1 | Speed Editor

asuhantsev

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 8:12 am

Kristian Lam wrote:
asuhantsev wrote:Follow up: that happened after I connected both ext monitor and a camera to the same v-mount battery. Not instantly, but in the same time frame. Have I fried it? Dug up some information and it seems common that connecting both monitor and camera to the same battery (and then connecting them by hdmi) my cause some damage.

Do you have a photo of the V-mount battery and which connections you'd used for the ext monitor and camera?

What make/model is the external monitor?

Do you remember the sequence of connection and the sequence the devices were powered on?

As for sequence of connection, I was trying different setups constantly plugging/rearranging parts.
Monitor is Liliput FS7 and the battery is Dynacore DM95S. Both camera and monitor were connected to switronix v mount plate with two d-tap outputs - one [d-tap-dc pin] for monitor, and one [d-tap-2pin] for the camera. It seems to me that the cable powering the monitor was wrong polarity before I re-soldered it the right way. If that's true, how can that send a voltage through the hdmi? Also different people with the same issue (I can provide links if that's okay here) havent come to the conclusion on what's the problem. As far as I know I'm the only one who soldered my own d-tap cable for monitor when hdmi went off. For clarity: there weren't smoke or smell, and no apparent heating of some component. What (besides polarit) I can look into when making my own cables to make them safer, if that's a cable issue?

How I can, in the future, be safe with powering both monitor and camera through the same v mount plate? Power monitor through 12v line off the higher quality plate and not through d-tap directly? (monitor can handle 16v just fine) Connect devices with hdmi before connecting them to the battery?

Return to Cinematography