Likely simple/beginner question about importing video

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

BMWFan

Likely simple/beginner question about importing video

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 3:38 pm

The goal is to import all our old VHS, VHS-C, Hi8 and DV video on the computer. Simply to get it off the old magnetic tape before it disintegrates, and also have an immediate need to edit a birthday video.
I initially bought a SIIG USB Capture device, but saw that the video was a little rough and jittery on import. I thought it was the capture device, so I bought a Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K card. After reading some posts on this forum, I think it may have been a little overkill, or not the best option. I'm finding out now that the jitteryness may have come from the tape itself.

I'm using Composite output from the VCR for VHS and VHS-C.
For Hi8, I have the video camera for playback, but can only find my composite and S-Video cables for it. I don't know if I have Component cables for it any longer (or if it even had any)
For the DV video camera, I will just use the Firewire cable to transfer the file to the computer as-is from the tape (no Blackmagic IP 4K needed for this).

I have 3 different editing software: Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum (an old version), Adobe Premier Elements 2018 and the Davinci Resolve that came with the Blackmagic card. Not sure what the best here would be, but suspect either Resolve or Premier Elements.

My questions are:
1. For the VHS, VHS-C and Hi8 tapes (less than HD quality), should I import them using the 525i59.94 NTSC format? Or should I import them using what I expect to use when editing and output (HD, on DVD or maybe Flash Drive)? Maybe one of the 1080p or 720p options?

2. Since the Blackmagic card is importing uncompressed, is my only option to reduce the size of these files to run them through a transcoder? The only two I'm familiar with are Super and Handbrake. Or, should I just bite the bullet and get another bigger hard drive? Either way, I need more drive space. Was looking at a 4TB Toshiba from a local store. I have a lot of Hi8 and DV tape to import.

3. Any other suggestions for this project?

I'm sorry if these are really beginner questions. I read some posts on the forum and a lot of it was over my head, talking about hardware and terms I've never heard of before.

BMWFan

Re: Likely simple/beginner question about importing video

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 5:48 pm

I think I found an answer to one of my questions - about the capture settings.

Since the source is VHS tape, it probably won't work to set the BM Intensity 4K to anything other than 525i59.94 NTSC - as the card will be looking for the wrong format and won't record anythign...

BMWFan

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 5:50 pm

I also just ran across this post from Eric-Jan: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=78838
It has a lot of good info.

My VCR is a crappy VCR/DVD combo Funai brand SV2000. Bottom of the barrel. There are a lot of drop-outs in capturing and I think I'm just stuck with that because of the lack of good quality playback equipment - or the tape is in bad shape.

I'm capturing Hi8 tape right now and don't see dropouts. So - either better quality tape, and it's a different player (camera, not VCR).
Last edited by BMWFan on Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BMWFan

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 6:44 pm

Is there any benefit to changing the "input conversion" in the Video Setup app to "SD to HD" if I want to later output all of the video in HD? Or should I leave it to none?
And...
What is the difference if I do "input conversion" vs "output conversion" ?

Just trying to get my head around as much of this as I can.

Return to Post Production