MP4 has shocking image and sound

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Peachesandpotatoes

MP4 has shocking image and sound

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 4:44 pm

Hi!

First things first: I have only the basic skills down for editing video clips. However, I know nothing about which formats to use and how to get the right format so I hope you guys can help me out.

I filmed with a Canon camera and that's MP4 format. The uploading in DaVinci Resolve is no problem, but the clip doesn't play smoothly. The images shock and go slower than the audio (audio works fine).

What can I do or should I convert the MP4 to another format?

Thanks in advance,

Mara

Frank Engel

Re: MP4 has shocking image and sound

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 7:46 pm

This can happen with straight-from-camera footage that is recorded with a codec that is not editor-friendly; try transcoding to ProRes (Mac) or DNxHD (Windoze) and substituting those files for editing. Those formats are basically the industry standard and are specifically optimized for editing.

Also make sure that your files are stored on fast media: older external USB hard drives or the media from your camera (SD cards and the like) may be too slow to keep up and the footage might not be streamed to the computer fast enough to keep the editor fed with data.

You could also be running into a problem if your computer is underpowered to run Resolve while handling footage at the resolution of your camera, so if transcoding the footage does not help, check your system specifications against the requirements for the software. If you are trying to edit UHD or 4K footage, you could try generating proxies for editing at a lower resolution if you think you might be running into a limitation of the performance of your hardware.

Jim Simon

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 9:43 pm

Peachesandpotatoes wrote:The uploading in DaVinci Resolve is no problem

A lot of noobies get this wrong. Not sure why. It's an odd phenomenon.

First you copy the media to the hard drive.

Then you import it into Resolve.

Then you export or render your finished program.

Finally, you upload the finished video to YouTube, Vimeo, etc.

To help with this particular issue, Optimized Media is worth a look.

Having said all that, I do recommend completing the training on Resolve before working on real projects. It'll save you a lot of headaches.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Charles Bennett

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 12:54 am

Mara, what are the specs of your computer? I shoot MP4 with a Canon and have no problems.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Peachesandpotatoes

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 8:59 pm

Charles Bennett wrote:Mara, what are the specs of your computer? I shoot MP4 with a Canon and have no problems.

Windows 10, Intel core i3 processor, Dell laptop. No problems whatsoever when it comes to playing clips or pictures from the camera (clips automatically open in Windows media player). It's just that it doesn't work in Resolve so I figure it does have something to do with the format.

Jim Simon wrote:
Peachesandpotatoes wrote:The uploading in DaVinci Resolve is no problem

A lot of noobies get this wrong. Not sure why. It's an odd phenomenon.

First you copy the media to the hard drive.

Then you import it into Resolve.

Then you export or render your finished program.

Finally, you upload the finished video to YouTube, Vimeo, etc.

To help with this particular issue, Optimized Media is worth a look.

Having said all that, I do recommend completing the training on Resolve before working on real projects. It'll save you a lot of headaches.

I actually have edited clips before, although this was a few years back and in Premier Pro. I know the drill of uploading, importing, exporting copying and whatnot perfectly fine, thanks. That is not the problem here, it's simply that the clip doesn't play in Resolve.
Will checkout Optimized Media though!

Frank Engel wrote:This can happen with straight-from-camera footage that is recorded with a codec that is not editor-friendly; try transcoding to ProRes (Mac) or DNxHD (Windoze) and substituting those files for editing. Those formats are basically the industry standard and are specifically optimized for editing.

Also make sure that your files are stored on fast media: older external USB hard drives or the media from your camera (SD cards and the like) may be too slow to keep up and the footage might not be streamed to the computer fast enough to keep the editor fed with data.

You could also be running into a problem if your computer is underpowered to run Resolve while handling footage at the resolution of your camera, so if transcoding the footage does not help, check your system specifications against the requirements for the software. If you are trying to edit UHD or 4K footage, you could try generating proxies for editing at a lower resolution if you think you might be running into a limitation of the performance of your hardware.

Thanks Frank, I think this is my most helpful solution at the moment! I will checkout every option over the weekend.

Thanks for your help guys!

Mike Warren

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 11:53 pm

Peachesandpotatoes wrote:Windows 10, Intel core i3 processor, Dell laptop.

An i3 is quite low for Resolve. What is your GPU? I'm guessing Intel.

No problems whatsoever when it comes to playing clips or pictures from the camera (clips automatically open in Windows media player). It's just that it doesn't work in Resolve so I figure it does have something to do with the format.

Resolve (and any NLE) has a lot of overhead to deal with that player only programs don't. Resolve does need quite powerful hardware. Frank's suggestion of using proxies is probably going to be the best you can do.
Resolve Studio 17.4.6 - Fusion Studio 17.2.2 - Windows 10
Gigabyte GTX1080ti 11GB - AMD 1950X - 64GB 2400
Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7
Intensity Pro 4k
Presonus 192 Audio Interface
Separate M.2 SSDs for OS and Resolve Cache

Peachesandpotatoes

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 10:29 am

Mike Warren wrote:
Peachesandpotatoes wrote:Windows 10, Intel core i3 processor, Dell laptop.

An i3 is quite low for Resolve. What is your GPU? I'm guessing Intel.

No problems whatsoever when it comes to playing clips or pictures from the camera (clips automatically open in Windows media player). It's just that it doesn't work in Resolve so I figure it does have something to do with the format.

Resolve (and any NLE) has a lot of overhead to deal with that player only programs don't. Resolve does need quite powerful hardware. Frank's suggestion of using proxies is probably going to be the best you can do.

The GPU is Intel (R) HD Graphics Family.

Mike Warren

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 6:15 pm

Peachesandpotatoes wrote:The GPU is Intel (R) HD Graphics Family.

Resolve is going to struggle on your machine. You might get away with HD material, but even then you may need to use proxies.
Resolve Studio 17.4.6 - Fusion Studio 17.2.2 - Windows 10
Gigabyte GTX1080ti 11GB - AMD 1950X - 64GB 2400
Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7
Intensity Pro 4k
Presonus 192 Audio Interface
Separate M.2 SSDs for OS and Resolve Cache

Return to DaVinci Resolve