Red/blue time above clips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jenlie

Red/blue time above clips

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 9:30 am

Hi,

I've just started with Davinci Resolve and still have some trouble here and there. I used to work with After Effects and Premiere Pro before. And I've been trying to find answers online about this matter but couldn't find any.

Above my clips some of the times are shown in red and blue. The rest is white. What exactly does it mean? Could that be also the reason why my rendering failed? I will upload a screenshot.

Thank you in advance.
Jenny
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2019-12-03 um 10.28.45.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-12-03 um 10.28.45.png (769.92 KiB) Viewed 8120 times

Jim Simon

Re: Red/blue time above clips

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 4:13 pm

White is default. Red means it needs to be cached, blue means it has been cached.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

jenlie

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 9:51 am

Thank you so much for your reply!
And how should all the clips better be? On default or cached? And how can I achieve it?

I apologize for all the questions but like I've mentioned, I'm totally new to this program and have taken over this project, which needs to get done soon. And this is currently the only thing where I'm totally stuck. :/

Jim Simon

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 5:40 pm

I do strongly recommend completing some training before working on a real project.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training

Yes, it takes time. That's just the way it is.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Brad Hurley

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 6:42 pm

jenlie wrote:Thank you so much for your reply!
And how should all the clips better be? On default or cached? And how can I achieve it?

Go up to the Playback Menu, and look for Render Cache. Set it to "Smart." That's the simplest approach; eventually you might want to set it to "User" if you have a fast machine and don't want it to cache things like titles and transitions.

The red indicates that it is caching and blue indicates that it has cached. So you probably already have this set up for Smart caching, and thus no need to change anything.

Caching just improves playback. Try applying some noise reduction or deflicker to some footage and then play back -- it will be very stuttery until cached.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

jenlie

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 7:54 am

Jim Simon wrote:I do strongly recommend completing some training before working on a real project.

Yes, it takes time. That's just the way it is.

Yes and I'm already doing that but like I've mentioned this project is high priority right now. I would have preferred After effects and Premiere Pro but the person who started this project, worked with DVR. :(
But thank you for recommending the training :)

jenlie

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 7:56 am

Brad Hurley wrote:
jenlie wrote:Thank you so much for your reply!

Go up to the Playback Menu, and look for Render Cache. Set it to "Smart." That's the simplest approach; eventually you might want to set it to "User" if you have a fast machine and don't want it to cache things like titles and transitions.

The red indicates that it is caching and blue indicates that it has cached. So you probably already have this set up for Smart caching, and thus no need to change anything.

Caching just improves playback. Try applying some noise reduction or deflicker to some footage and then play back -- it will be very stuttery until cached.

Thank you so much for your help! :)

Return to DaVinci Resolve