Keyboard shortcuts to control Inspector parameters

• Author

studio1492

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 10:38 pm

My request is to be able to control some of the Inspector values using +/- keyboard shortcuts for each Inspector parameter (Opacity, Zoom, position, Rotation, etc...).

The idea is to have two keyboard shortcuts available for each Inspector parameter: an "increase value" and a "decrease value", and when tapping the assigned (+/-) key will do a fine value increment/decrement, and when the same key is hold it will do an exponential fast value decrease/increase.

Captura de pantalla 2019-12-04 a las 23.38.50.png
Captura de pantalla 2019-12-04 a las 23.38.50.png (61.94 KiB) Viewed 3648 times

This will be useful on complex keyframing editions, that may be quickly adjusted using the keyboard. At the moment the Inspector parameters can be only edited with the mouse (or partially on the MiniPanel).

This will be a time-saver for keyboard-editors geeks like me who are too lazy to use the mouse.

If this is already possible, I'll aprreciate if you tell me how to assign such keyboard shortcuts to the Inspector (specially the transform, which I use a lot). I haven't found how to do that on the manual nor on the keyboard csutomization.
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

Jim Simon

Re: Keyboard shortcuts to control Inspector parameters

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 9:55 pm

You can type numbers directly.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

studio1492

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 1:31 am

Jim Simon wrote:You can type numbers directly.

Thanks Jim, typing numbers was the default data entry method on year 1995.

Nowadays one can work much faster and eficiently with a keyboard than with a mouse (and less pain in your cervical spine and shoulders), as the body weight is much more balanced using a keyboard along long sessions than using the mouse.

Consider that you propossed method also involves the use of a mouse. The idea here is to minimize the use of the mouse to zero (which is nearly possible along the edition, when the keyboard map is efficient).

Maybe your destiny will be to keep the 'old school' traditions alive. But we are in 2020, and the human interface with the computer is becoming much more a "Vital" need (in efficiency terms) for a professional than the CPU or RAM capacity of the system. If the human interface is wrong (unefficient/unergonomic keyboard shortcut maps and intensive use of the mouse), the body will soffer the effects after the years of editing, and also involves much more menthal and ocular energy when using a mouse than using only the keyboard as control surface.

Nowadays keyboard keys can be used as "data sliders", and consider that tablets and tactile screens are gaining pressure sensivity, it's easy to see what will be the human interface in the coming years. Be sure that data entry typing numbers or using a mouse will be a thing of the past.

You, Jim, may be a guardian of the "old-school" traditions, but from the same distance at the oposite temporal dimension, you may see a visionaire of what is coming for the next years.
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

Jim Simon

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 3:49 pm

studio1492 wrote:The idea here is to minimize the use of the mouse to zero

I just don't think that's possible for this job. We will always need the mouse, and one hand on each is the most efficient overall approach.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Peter Cave

PostSun Dec 08, 2019 9:52 am

Not using a mouse is the most "old school" method there is!
Criticising Jim for being "old school" is quite funny!
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

studio1492

PostSun Dec 08, 2019 2:10 pm

Peter Cave wrote:Not using a mouse is the most "old school" method there is!

LOL I agree,
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

Mel Matsuoka

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 3:03 am

I don’t see any problem whatsoever with this feature request. The requested functionality exists in almost every common productivity and creative tool that exists, so why would anyone (besides Jim, of course) have a problem with this? It’s definitely a necessary and expected UI convention, at least on the Mac.

On Adobe apps, the arrow keys increment the numeric values, and when adding a modifier key, like the shift or command-key, the values step in larger or more precise intervals. It is a bit surprising that Resolve doesn’t have this option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

studio1492

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 12:10 pm

Here is the idea in a paper. The keys can be the numeric pad (1-9) or the AWSD axis together with an ALT , CMD, CTRL...

This combined with the mouse will be a time saver.
While adjusting the X-Y position with the mouse, the zoom or angle can be controlled by the keyboard, which will bost the transform process.

transform-kb-shortcuts.jpg
transform-kb-shortcuts.jpg (130.94 KiB) Viewed 3531 times

I hope now my proposal is more clear.
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

Glenn Venghaus

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 3:53 pm

keyboards are so last years news ......
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

studio1492

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 5:27 pm

Glenn Venghaus wrote:keyboards are so last years news ......

Wow, nice work!!!!

it's so sad I purchased the "DVR Editor Keyboard" two months ago, and the $1000 keyboard is unable to control a single parameter of the inspector from the jogwheel. In fact, I found the device unuseful for my needs.

The mastodontic keyboard is resting on a corner, and I'll sell it soon unless BMD issues a new firmware with the expected features.
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

DanorG1

PostFri Oct 23, 2020 8:24 pm

I'm not exactly sure what that controller is in the video but it looks useful for someone who is doing conforming or maybe even color grading as an option to the control panels. Anyone who has used AE or Premiere is accustomed to at least being able to tab through the "inspector" parameters and make changes without using the mouse. It is faster, and more efficient. Right now I am editing a movie shot in 4.6k and rescaling shots is a constant choice I am making between takes and scenes for the footage. A quick way to even tab through the inspector parameters using the keyboard would not only save time but it makes for a more focused and expeditious editing process.

I don't think he's asking to go completely "mouse free" for an entire edit. But developing a rhythm and a good muscle memory for common tasks is a great way to build up speed and rhythm in an edit session. Having to map a cursor across a screen for changing a numerical value in a parameter breaks the rhythm of a workflow that could be much faster.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1658341/
iMac Pro 10 Core
Writer, Director, Actor
First Feature Film out in 2022 - "Grandpa's Crazy?"
Shot on Ursa Mini Pro G1 & PCC 4k & 6k
Edited in Davinci Resolve Studio 16 & 17

Peter McLennan

PostSun Jan 17, 2021 4:32 am

Modifying numerical entries in the Inspector with arrow keys is extremely convenient. Dragging the values up and down with the mouse is not. In fact, it's annoyingly difficult and imprecise.

Please use the common convention to multiply the increment by ten by adding "shift" to the arrow key inputs. The existing arrow key input alters (for example) a three decimal point value by .001 per arrow key press. Tedious.

Whining over, I gotta say that Resolve 17 is delightful. Thank you!
ASUS ROG X570-E motherboard, Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD boot, 2TB NVMe work, Zotac RTX 3060 12 GB, Behrenger Uphoria UMC 404HD.

hannahcelsius

PostFri May 12, 2023 8:17 am

I am so hoping to this being implemented somehow.
Especially for animators, this is extremely helpfull.

Right now (i updated to 18.1.4 build 9) i am struggling with adjusting 8 clips which need to be exactly fitting next to eachother, so this needs frame by frame editing. I know, this comes with the job :-)
But like more people already stated: it would save me a large amount of shoulder pain, if the inspector zoom and other values could be somehow edited with mouse-wheel and/or numpad/arrow keys, whatever.
It is extremely hard to try to match things using only the mousetrack to adjust the number.

To manually edit the numbers: nooooo. That is toooooo much work, when you have to do that for each frame x 8. It should be organic somehow.

Also: if anyone knows it can already be done somehow, i would really appreciate the help! Ty.

jjsereday

PostTue Jul 18, 2023 9:00 pm

Completely agree that there needs to be an ability to control the inspector parameters with the keyboard.

I am constantly amazed about how many keyboard shortcut Resolve has available to assign, but I am also surprised more often than I'd expect on how many seemingly essential things do not.

Side note, does anyone know if there is an ability to switch between Inspector tabs or pages? (Video, Audio, File etc) This is super common in the other NLEs but I can't seem to find a way in Resolve.

DigiTally

PostMon Jan 01, 2024 2:39 pm

I agree as well, there should be keyboard shortcuts to control inspector parameters. It will be really useful.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests