Media Composer 1080i timeline; preview as progressive

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

mskmadison

Media Composer 1080i timeline; preview as progressive

PostFri Dec 20, 2019 3:48 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to send 29.97p out to my LCD display, while keeping the sequence/project settings in MC 1080 59.94i. The latter is the master format or deliverable. I want to preview in progressive frame because the LCD display (FS DM240) has interlace alias artifacts which can be very distracting when playing interlaced content.

The signal path is simply:

HP Z840 | Avid Media Composer 2019 -> TB3 -> BM Ultrastudio 4K -> HD-SDI Out -> FS DM240 HD-SDI In.

All hardware/software/firmware/drivers are current as far as I know.

In the BM Desktop video application, changing the Default Video Standard to anything seems to have no effect on the HD-SDI output connected to the video monitor. Other choices (like SDI Output) do affect the signal.

In short, my question is: How can I preview a 1080 59.94i project in a progressive frame rate on my video monitor?

Thanks!

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Media Composer 1080i timeline; preview as progressive

PostFri Dec 20, 2019 9:32 pm

It's most likely AVID controlling your preview format, so if you format is 59.94i then I assume not much you can do. If you can, edit in 29.97p and then change project to 59.94i for export. Not sure if AVID will be fine with it (most NLEs are).
No way to change FSI deinterlacing, no settings? Those meant to be good monitors and they cannot do proper deinterlacing?

Peter Cave

Re: Media Composer 1080i timeline; preview as progressive

PostSat Dec 21, 2019 2:20 am

Hi Matthew,

I use a FSI monitor and Decklink without your issue. I would look first at the monitor settings. There are settings for PsF etc. On my monitor LM-1770W a PsF input can be displayed as interpolated progressive or interlaced. FSI may be able to assist too.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Return to Post Production