Blackmagic eGPU &MBP 13" 2018 Fans going nuts

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

incredibleole

Blackmagic eGPU &MBP 13" 2018 Fans going nuts

PostWed Dec 25, 2019 1:59 pm

Hello,
I just purchased an eGPU. Everything went finde, until I woke my Mac from sleep. Fans ran at full speed making the unit really noisy. I tried disconnecting the power cord, resetting the Macs PRAM. after a while it went back to normal. Shut the Mac with the eGPU connected down, went aways for Christmas, powered it up, now the fans go crazy again. Don't know how to get the thing back to normal.
Regards Ole

HansSpoor

Re: Blackmagic eGPU &MBP 13" 2018 Fans going nuts

PostThu Dec 26, 2019 5:52 pm

This might help to control the fan:
https://www.macupdate.com › app › macs-fan-control
it is free software, v 1.5.3.9 - Monitor and control your computer's fans ...

incredibleole

Re: Blackmagic eGPU &MBP 13" 2018 Fans going nuts

PostFri Dec 27, 2019 9:58 am

Thanks, the App actually shows the GPUs temperatures, but I cannot control the fans. The eGPU shows really bizarre behavior. I downgraded to Mojave to see, if it helps. It did at first. Then I copied some large files over night from a hard disk just to hear the fans running at full speed in the morning. disconnected everything - no success. Then I updated Mojave with its latest security update an while running the update with the black screen and the apple logo, the fans spun down and returned to normal, but unfortunately I can't rely on the them staying so.

Return to Getting Started