BMCUSER new website unstable and ugly

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Ellory Yu

BMCUSER new website unstable and ugly

PostSun Dec 22, 2019 2:56 pm

The recent upgrade of the BMCUSER website is awful. Not only it keeps on crashing, the UI is so darn ugly and unusable. Forums need to be snappy and easy to use. It's too bad there is no option to go back to the old UI. I can't even send a message to the admin. Everything I try to do anything on it, or try to send a message to the admin, I get an error message and the whole site just hangs. The color and font choices makes the text hard to read - black background with dark grey font?
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

gfagien

Re: BMCUSER new website unstable and ugly

PostFri Dec 27, 2019 8:01 pm

I am with you, I do not understand why they switched its horrible now
Geoff Fagien
Cinematographer/Editor

Jim Giberti

PostTue Dec 31, 2019 12:10 am

Yes, it also seems that the site is dead. Hasn't been a single post in quite a while. Death by ugly design?

Brad Hurley

PostTue Dec 31, 2019 1:34 pm

Jim Giberti wrote:Yes, it also seems that the site is dead. Hasn't been a single post in quite a while. Death by ugly design?

I think it's more death by inability to post. I only just got my account approved last week after an eight-month wait, but whenever I try to post a reply or PM the site freezes and I can't even view the site for a couple of hours.

Not sure if the moderators/owners even know there's a problem because the only way to reach them is by PM and it seems impossible to send a PM.

The other thing I've noticed is that navigating past the first page of a multi-page thread crashes the site as well. I haven't experimented with other browsers; it definitely is flaky in Firefox. I don't actually mind the design, it's not so wildly different from the previous one, but the platform seems super-unstable.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

gfagien

PostTue Dec 31, 2019 1:53 pm

they need to revert back to the same design they've been using since launch
Geoff Fagien
Cinematographer/Editor

Wayne Steven

PostFri Jan 03, 2020 9:52 am

Ellory Yu wrote:The recent upgrade of the BMCUSER website is awful. Not only it keeps on crashing, the UI is so darn ugly and unusable. Forums need to be snappy and easy to use. It's too bad there is no option to go back to the old UI. I can't even send a message to the admin. Everything I try to do anything on it, or try to send a message to the admin, I get an error message and the whole site just hangs. The color and font choices makes the text hard to read - black background with dark grey font?

Sounds like the people who run it are to blame, again. They should learn some respect.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Jim Simon

PostSun Jan 05, 2020 5:21 pm

Here's my experience with the new site.

Unable to redirect to the correct login URL.

This usually means that the login URL is incorrectly configured for this site. Please contact the administrator for further help.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Ellory Yu

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 7:16 am

You can't even PM the admin. I've tried so many times but the edit box freezes, let alone trying to read what you typed in that difficult to see font style and color. I gave up going there. BMCUSER is going to be a dead forum because who runs it has made a bad decision to change the interface or whatever. If only they just bring back the old forum. That's to be seen and might be a little late for it to be resurrect.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Wayne Steven

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 3:28 pm

Is the monkey still running it?
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Ellory Yu

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 7:08 am

Wayne Steven wrote:Is the monkey still running it?

Apparently so.

Robert Niessner

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 11:53 am

Yeah, my experience has been the same. On my iPad the site is loading almost forever and then I can't login, on my PC it doesn't show the layout until I switch of ublock origin and even then nothing works expect logging in.

Seems that is the end until the admin will finally realize there might be a problem.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Ellory Yu

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 2:41 am

Months have passed and so I tried to log in to my account and see if things have been fixed. No change at all. It's even worse now because you can't PM the admin. It throws an error when you send a message. Is anyone using BMCUSER anymore? Too bad, it was a good forum with variety. If anyone know the person running it, can you tap on his shoulder and tell him to put back the old site or just shut the damn site down.

Howard Roll

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 1:59 pm

I think the culture of the site was largely and for a long time anti-Red. JB was the only mod for a while and he was vocally anti-Red. That the site was maintained for so long was a mystery to me. I think perhaps Red never considered BM a competitor in their space. BMCUser was a valuable source of tech support being provided for free to the competition.

The "new" site is an archive, sorry to expose the truth but BMCUser is people! If it's possible that Landmine has the universe's worst web guy and he never noticed anything unusual about 0 posts in 3 months, that would seem the least likely scenario as I'm sure it didn't escape the advertiser's notice.

Good Luck

Wayne Steven

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 3:21 am

It's a landline business, Jarred is responsible for doing something about it. Literally.

Can anybody do an internet search for moderators to ask them what's happening, and to do a search to see if the admin is sick?

I did not like the way tossers could freely roam around harrassing people. Those people need to be banned, from the entire internet, of forums. There is ussually a handfull of these people who think their limited knowledge and biased illogical preferences define what everybody is ALLOWED to do or SAY, who negatively bomb a lot of threads espousing everything they don't agree with as illogical though it is themselves DOING IT! (Notice I virtually never use "!". They are virtually Jail candidates for their blatant conduct perverting what they touch, trying to control what others say as right as wrong and hardly with a clue as to how innappropriate and the logical their insistences are to the logic of what is spoken. Expressing overboard shock if their victims happen to actually make a mistake like they ussually make. Let BM User die. Anybody here can open up their own alternative forum. These forums here need a lot more sub forums, as the cinematography forum here just flies by too quickly, and is run by busy engineers who might read very quickly, but wouldn't have time to run a forum with 4 times the sub forums). But what I must say, there is a few scatter brained people that they fight with, but still deserve to be constructively heard and considered when they are proposing advancements. No evidence is NOT evidence of absence of evidence (look up the derivative saying that finding no evidence is not evidence of no evidence to be found). The logical scientific method is to keep testing for evidence until all credible possibilities have been exhausted, rather than jumping at first opportunities to deny that anything that you don't want to be true, could possibly be true, based on flimsy irrational logiv/potential evidence. The world is not being run by philosopher king's at the moment. Sorry, but these people tank 100x give or take things and progress. We would literally be among the stars now without these sorts of things, and $200 8k pro cameras and $1000 multipoint, and maybe even something better, just in our sector in the last 15 years.

Dmytro Shijan

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 11:54 pm

Yep, seems it is time to backup some important threads from bmcuser to this forum. I usually doubled most of my research threads on both forums, but some stuff was posted exclisively at bmcuser.
P.S. To be honest the only missing thing in forum.blackmagicdesign compare to bmcuser is dedicated "For Sale / Want to Buy" section. It was rather useful there...
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Robert Niessner

PostSun Feb 23, 2020 10:09 pm

Well, it seems someone managed to contact the site admin:

We did a long overdue set of backend upgrades on BMCUser mid-December. Folks have reached out to me saying they are having issues logging in, posting in a thread, PMing, etc. I experienced an issue today as well. I got the message of "error_x_while_saving_content" when doing a test post. I hit OK, my post did not appear. I refreshed my browser, and then it appeared. To help me gather more data, please send an email to brent at landmine dot tv with details of the errors you are getting here so I can investigate.

http://www.bmcuser.com/forum/announceme ... on-bmcuser
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Wayne Steven

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 4:21 pm

I saw a documentary tonight, on the secret efforts to avoid financial collapse at the start of the financial crises. Near the end, they go to a Trump 2017 campaign rally, and at the start it pases by somebody in the front of the crowd who looked like Jim Jannnard, filming it with a Red Hydrogen phone. That made my draw drop. But going back there, unfortunately it was some guy with a fancy iPhone case that made it look like it had a Red logo.

Anyway, back to discussing how some guyis "upgrades" could stuff up a site and strangle post numbers for months, without them realising it?

roger.magnusson

PostMon Mar 16, 2020 12:10 am

Looks like it's been back in working order for about two weeks, at least browsing works. But no one is posting of course. NAB could have brought it back to life I guess as it usually tends to spike around that time.

Robert Niessner

PostTue Mar 17, 2020 6:02 pm

Still can't load the site without disabling ublock origin. And I am not gonna deactivate the first defense line of my system to prevent possible malicious payload from a server, nowadays.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Wayne Steven

PostTue Mar 17, 2020 6:24 pm

Robert, what's this threat, how does it work?

Robert Niessner

PostThu Mar 19, 2020 3:10 pm

Wayne, cyber criminals are using either hacked ad servers or modified ads to deploy malicious code. There are also websites still using hidden code to render bitcoins in the browser (not a big thing anymore now).
Ublock origin also blocks access to malicious websites - for example while doing a deeper google search it can happen that they tricking you into visiting their site by seeming relevant in the google ranking, but in reality it's only garbage and code trying to infect your computer.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Wayne Steven

PostThu Mar 19, 2020 5:53 pm

Thanks for that Robert. So the usual can be dealt with by unlock. It's bad the Google still deal up those sites, but they seem less contagious now. I often pick them because the icon next to them is not usually a genetic world icon. Stuff, the text they come up with do stones are a very good match, so I sometimes search for that text to find it's real origin.

Jim Simon

PostThu Mar 19, 2020 6:19 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:can't load the site without disabling ublock origin. And I am not gonna deactivate

I agree. Government, banking and other financial web sites work just fine with all my security and privacy measures in place. If a web site needs me to deactivate those to function, then it's simply not a safe place to visit.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

roger.magnusson

PostMon Feb 15, 2021 10:23 pm

I was lurking on bmcuser for many years and learned so much there through the years. I miss it, especially around new camera releases. :)

Did everyone disband when bmcuser went belly up or is there another similar forum? Seems like Facebook groups have fragmented this kind of interaction, and if they're private you can't Google them for interesting topics.

Return to Off-Topic