Recombining audio and video?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Zeke Faust

Recombining audio and video?

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 11:35 pm

A friend of mine asked for help with onlining an old film of his (around 2004 or so). The project was not well archived and all that remains is an EDL and the original camera media.

Problem is that the audio and video are separate files. They are also raw files. They have no extensions. Adding ".mov" to the end allows them to play, though I don't know if that was the original wrapper.

My question is, how can I recombine the audio and video without re-rendering clip by clip from a sequence? The footage is shot in various resolutions and frame rates and I want to preserve all that.
Threadripper 3960x
128GB memory
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090

Uli Plank

Re: Recombining audio and video?

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 11:21 am

Sounds like a lot of work. A few hints:
– For syncing, read about the Sync Bin and its capabilities.
– As long as the files are played back, file extensions don't matter.
– Set the timeline to the intended distribution or presentation format.
– If the clips show their correct speed in the metadata, you can just drop them into the timeline.
– If not, you need to find out and set it under Clip Attributes.
In both cases, Resolve will retime them with the method selected for Frame Interpolation in the Master Settings of your project.

I don't get what you mean by preserving format. Do you want it scaled to the timeline size or show smaller sizes in a window?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Zeke Faust

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 8:25 pm

Thanks for the reply. Doesn't the sync bin only work when you have a scratch track? My issue is that the audio and video have been separated. Maybe the timecodes match since they come from the same clips.

I got the suggestion to create two separate EDLs, one for the video and one for the audio, then combine them in one timeline. This might work, it's just a lot of renaming clips. But as you said, it's a lot of work anyway.

Uli Plank wrote:I don't get what you mean by preserving format. Do you want it scaled to the timeline size or show smaller sizes in a window?

What I mean is, if a clip was shot at 60 I wouldn't want to render in a 24 timeline and lose frames. Same with resolution. I could retime it, but then that would probably change the timecode the EDL is referencing, so it would no longer sync, no?
Threadripper 3960x
128GB memory
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090

Uli Plank

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 9:14 pm

No, for heaven's sake, don't change the frame rate if you need to sync.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Return to Post Production