Smartview HD Color

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Philip Karch

Smartview HD Color

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 9:14 am

Hello Guys,

we wont to use our Smartview HD as a reference Monitor for our liveproductions.
But we have the problem that the Smartview HD color is "bluish". In the controlpanel there is no option for the color adjustment.
Has anybody an idee how we can solve the color problem or will BM will publish in new firmware with the option of color adjustment?

thanks
Philip

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

Re: Smartview HD Color

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 9:59 pm

It has contrast and saturation adjustments, but no hue adjustments. It also has a brightness adjustment.

How blue is this? Is it significantly blue or just a little bit? The SmartViews are really supposed to be confidence monitors and are not really for grading or color based work.

I guess i'm trying to see if how significant this is and whether or not it might be an issue with the unit or just a limitation.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Philip Karch

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 9:24 am

its just a little bit, but this is a problem if we want to use the monitor during a liveproduction as an reference.

Dave Glennie

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 3:20 pm

Hi Guys,

Yeh, my Smartview is exactly the same- along with being an inherently progressive picture that judders in 1080i, (nightmare if you're doing sport like we do), the picture has a definate 'blue-ness'. I use it as my main TX / PGM / matrix monitor in out Sat truck- and a £140 Acer TV / LED HDMI monitor on the multiviewer of the ATEM- that picture always looks much more colour 'correct' than the Smartview........
We also cut broadcast OB's in there with 6 cameras etc, and the directors are always commenting on how blue it looks......I have to make some pretty awful excuses because I can't correct it in the utility..

Cheers
Dave
Hi-sat Broadcast
DSNG HD uplink trucks x 2, PDW-700 XDCam HD x 2, PMW500, HDW-750 x 5,
Way too much BMD stuff to list!!

Thomas Levitt

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 2:10 pm

Don't use any smart view as a reference or shading monitor. You cant produce proper results.

-The colours are not accurate, its almost as if they make use of a badly mapped lookup table.
-SDI is a 10 bit interface, the SmartView Duo is 8 bit and the HD is 6 bit.
-The backlight is the wrong colour temperature, this is probably the reason for your blueish picture.

The SmartView series is excellent for many applications, just not for fine colour correction or grading.

In the SmartViews defence, its easily the best value for money in its category. If your spending 4k on a monitor its probably not much better than the SmartView HD.

You would have to be spending 10k+ on a HD reference monitor for it to properly work for this application.

SChildress

PostThu Sep 20, 2012 7:07 am

mine are "blueish" also... have to hook up an extra SDI monitor to the ouput of my XDCAM deck to make sure colors and levels are correct.... As preview monitors life is good, but for reference? Not at all...

Xnyk

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 1:01 pm

Hi Friends!

Smartview HD Monitors are really bluish.
Technical support service employer Callum Mclay is not able to answer on the question of what the color temperature is set on the Smartview HD monitors. He told me that they do not have the specific information publicly available, on what the native colour temperature of the Smartview HD LCD is.
He also told that "SmartView monitors are designed as rack monitors for confidence monitoring and picture viewing in an inexpensive SDI solution, but they are not designed as a colour fidelity monitor".

On the Blackmagicdesign company's website in the description of the monitor written that
"When you need high quality SDI monitoring, SmartView monitors are the perfect solution!".
"SmartView monitors are the perfect choice to add SDI monitoring anywhere you need it. You can use them for broadcast, post production, on set monitoring, flyaway kits, broadcast trucks and more!".
"SmartView monitors are ideal for high end broadcast monitoring because they feature high quality filtering and scaling, so you retain fine detail in the image. The fully digital design with high quality SDI inputs ensures precise color that’s easy to manage across multiple displays."

Why sell a monitors that displays the wrong colors?
This is a hoax!

Alexander Kinov

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 9:54 am

Hi, I found few topics like this and I see they are quite old. Are there any changes so far in the SmartView specifications, or updates, or software?

We have one brand new SmartView HD in the studio, but the manual and the box are gone somewhere, so I don't know anything. We don't really use this monitor in the studio, so I was planning to put in a small mobile rack system. But I really need ref monitor to set the cameras properly, so I need to know if I can trust the SmartView and if I can calibrate it right.

Thanks!

edit: My monitor is SmartView 4K, not SmartView HD. My bad...

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 6:58 pm

Hello Alexander. These monitors were not intended for reference or color grading purposes. You should be able to download a manual in the Support Section of the web site.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... -equipment

Hope this helps. Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Alexander Kinov

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 7:25 pm

Gary Adams wrote:Hello Alexander. These monitors were not intended for reference or color grading purposes. You should be able to download a manual in the Support Section of the web site.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... -equipment

Hope this helps. Regards, Gary

Thank you very much!

Return to Live Production