Blackmagic eGPU - Fan always at 100%

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Hutmann

Blackmagic eGPU - Fan always at 100%

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 2:07 am

Hello,

I have a MacMini 2018 (i7, 64GB, 10.15.2)
As soon as I plug my eGPU at the Mini, the GPU starts working in 100% Fan-Mode. It's noisy, annoying and far from the promised 18db ;)
I just found nothing what helps me in this case. Is here anyone with a good idea how I could silence my eGPU?
All I did was plug one monitor at the eGPU and work on desktop. As soon as I turn my Mini on, the GPU starts working like a vacuum cleaner. After 20-25 minutes there was no change in the behaviour.

I tried a SMC reset (the guy in the apple-shop ask me to do that) but it didn't help either.

Thanks in advance.

Thijme

Re: Blackmagic eGPU - Fan always at 100%

PostMon Jan 27, 2020 2:45 pm

Hi Uwe,

I have the same problem with a thunderbolt 2 - 3 connection to my Mac Pro 6.1 (trashcan)
and I was wondering if you may have found a solution? (everything works eGPU performs, only the fan keeps blowing my hat off).

Thanks in advance!
Cheers, Thijme.

oatbean

Re: Blackmagic eGPU - Fan always at 100%

PostWed Oct 07, 2020 3:36 pm

I'm having the same problem. I start my iMac after being off all night in a cool environment and sometimes the fan in my BMD eGPU Pro comes on as loud as a vacuum cleaner and won't spin down. But, I've noticed that I can often simply restart my iMac and the fan returns to its normal volume. Definitely seems like some sort of Bug to me. Are there any firmware updates for this???? I paid over a grand for this thing and it's so loud that it's affecting my ability to work! Please, Black Magic! I've seen many posts on this issue. Has anything been done to fix it that I may have missed?

Return to Getting Started