Keyboard Customization not working

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

tsaylor

Keyboard Customization not working

PostFri Jan 10, 2020 8:56 pm

Everytime I set a new keyboard shortcut in Resolve, the shortcuts either initially don't work and start working a random number of restarts later, or never work at all. For example:

Set "a" to select all clips after playhead. Didn't take initially then started working about a week later after changing nothing else.

Set "ctrl + r" to open the Change Clip Speed dialog box for a clip in in the timeline, at first it didn't take. After restarting a few times, pressing "ctrl + r" with timeline panel (or any panel) selected, yeilds no effect. Right clicking a clip in the timeline reveals the Change Clip Speed option even lists "ctrl +r" as the keyboard shortcut next to the option. Just doesn't work.

Set the numbers 1-9 on my keyboard to correspond with assigning clips a color, the keyboard shortcuts look properly assigned for every tab under Application and Panels in which the option is present and they are consistent across each (ie. 1=yellow in Media Pool, Edit Timeline, Mark, etc.), however pressing 1-9 only changes the selected clip color on the Cut Page and no others.

Anyone else having similar issues or know of a potential solution? This has happened for me across every version of 16 I have tried so far, some were free but currently on studio.
DR Studio 16.1.2.026, Win10Pro 1903/18362.535 - i9-7900X@3.3GHz (4.3GHz OC), 32GB Ram
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB, "Studio" Driver 441.66
OS & Programs: 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Project, Cache & Stills: 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Media: 4TB SATA III 7200RPM

Marc Wielage

Re: Keyboard Customization not working

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 2:03 am

tsaylor wrote:Everytime I set a new keyboard shortcut in Resolve, the shortcuts either initially don't work and start working a random number of restarts later, or never work at all. For example: Set "a" to select all clips after playhead. Didn't take initially then started working about a week later after changing nothing else.

Strictly my opinion: I think it's dangerous to use shortcuts (especially custom shortcuts) without modifier keys. The reason why is, if you're trying to type a filename or a title or something like that, the letter could potentially trigger the modifier/macro key. I think it's better to use control / option / shift or a combination of these, because then there's no risk this will happen.

I agree that the Keyboard Customization mode sometimes feels a little buggy, and this has been going on for awhile. It generally works for me for the majority of the stuff I use, but (as one example) the numeric keypad doesn't replace the numbers and characters on the main keyboard. I just checked and can't find the shortcuts for Zooming Into Timeline (⌘=) or Zooming Out of Timeline (⌘-), which I could swear used to be in the Customization selections. I'd rather use the numeric keypad, but can't at the moment.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jim Simon

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 4:15 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:if you're trying to type a filename or a title or something like that, the letter could potentially trigger the modifier/macro key.

I don't find that a reasonable concern. JKL and I/O are pretty standard.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

studio1492

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 12:53 am

I'm usually having those issues.

For instance, ALT-SHIFT-S which I've assigned to "Delete Marker" is not working. But it works by clicking on the "Mark menu".

I've checked that those keystrokes are unassigned on the macOS shortcuts on Preferences, and I've closed all floating apps like Dropbox.

If other shortcuts are not working on the coming days I'll post it here.
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

Marc Wielage

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 2:00 am

Jim Simon wrote:I don't find that a reasonable concern. JKL and I/O are pretty standard.

That's already built into the software. I'm talking about actual user keyboard customization. Trying to override normal keystrokes already in the program is going to be a logistical nightmare. I think it's a lot less trouble just to memorize what's there. J-K-L has been pretty standard for almost 30 years now.

I totally concede that there are aspects of Keyboard Customization that are frustrating. For example, I think that (on the Edit page) Zoom In and Zoom Out to Timeline used to be modifiable, but now I can't find them in the list. I'd like to be able to use the +/= commands on the numeric keypad as well as the regular top-row number keys, but can't find a way to do this. So there are some limitations.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Tom Early

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 11:11 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:I don't find that a reasonable concern. JKL and I/O are pretty standard.

That's already built into the software. I'm talking about actual user keyboard customization. Trying to override normal keystrokes already in the program is going to be a logistical nightmare. I think it's a lot less trouble just to memorize what's there. J-K-L has been pretty standard for almost 30 years now.

I totally concede that there are aspects of Keyboard Customization that are frustrating. For example, I think that (on the Edit page) Zoom In and Zoom Out to Timeline used to be modifiable, but now I can't find them in the list. I'd like to be able to use the +/= commands on the numeric keypad as well as the regular top-row number keys, but can't find a way to do this. So there are some limitations.

There are shortcuts where even assigning a modifier will mean it doesn't work. Like Gang Viewers. And there are numerous problems with assigning clip colours, I have to remove all shortcuts for doing this outside of the media pool to get that to work.

As for not using anything without a modifier, I would advise the opposite if you want to work as fast as possible, not to mention the RSI I got from having to use modifiers on certain things. After all, the default Avid shortcuts go without modifiers for the most common commands, don't see why other programs should not be capable of working reliably this way.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

studio1492

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 10:58 am

Tom Early wrote:there are numerous problems with assigning clip colours

A partial solution to the problems assigning clip colours is given here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=104739 It's only a "trick", as the problem is still unsolved on version 16.1.2.
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

tsaylor

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 7:45 am

The reason why is, if you're trying to type a filename or a title or something like that, the letter could potentially trigger the modifier/macro key. I think it's better to use control / option / shift or a combination of these, because then there's no risk this will happen.

Maybe, although I have used these shortcuts in Premiere for the past 3 years and this never happened.
DR Studio 16.1.2.026, Win10Pro 1903/18362.535 - i9-7900X@3.3GHz (4.3GHz OC), 32GB Ram
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB, "Studio" Driver 441.66
OS & Programs: 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Project, Cache & Stills: 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Media: 4TB SATA III 7200RPM

Return to DaVinci Resolve