Video fade not visible

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

IPT_ak

Video fade not visible

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 8:34 am

I'm having this odd performance editing a clip, any clip actually. When I use the handles and drag them in to fade a clip the clip doesn't visually fade. Visually within the clip it looks like the timeline view of the clip is faded, but the playback has no fade. This happens with every clip. It seems likely to me that I switched something on or off, but I don't know what. Any help appreciated.

Jim Simon

Re: Video fade not visible

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 5:30 pm

What happens if you use a transition?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

IPT_ak

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 11:27 pm

Jim Simon wrote:What happens if you use a transition?

If I drop something like a blur or dissolve on the end of the clip that works and visually plays out. I tried restarting the program but that didn't change anything because it seems like some simple glitch and an odd issue to be having.

Marc Wielage

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:15 am

Which hardware (CPU, GPU, RAM, disk I/O speed)? What specific version of Resolve? What OS? What source material? What timeline resolution? What framerate? How does your drive rate with Blackmagic Speed Test? Which GPU drivers are installed?

Is it possible you're using the free version of Resolve and you're using a difficult compressed video format, like H.264? I can only guess, since we don't have much info to go on. In general, I've never seen a fade-in or fade-out fail. I often prefer to use a cross-dissolve instead, because it gives me more control over start/stop time, plus I can go for a film-style fade instead of a linear/video-style fade.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

IPT_ak

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 7:51 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Which hardware (CPU, GPU, RAM, disk I/O speed)? What specific version of Resolve? What OS? What source material? What timeline resolution? What framerate? How does your drive rate with Blackmagic Speed Test? Which GPU drivers are installed?

Is it possible you're using the free version of Resolve and you're using a difficult compressed video format, like H.264? I can only guess, since we don't have much info to go on. In general, I've never seen a fade-in or fade-out fail. I often prefer to use a cross-dissolve instead, because it gives me more control over start/stop time, plus I can go for a film-style fade instead of a linear/video-style fade.

It’s a Dell 8900 with an Intel(R) i7-6700k CPU @ 4.00ghz with 32GB RAM running windows 10 home. It has a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super card, and a Samsung SSD PM871 hard drive for the OS with my files stored on a WD external drive. Resolution is 1920x1080HD with a frame rate of 24. The card is pretty new so the GPU drivers are whatever it installed and if it automatically updates, then the most current. I don’t know anything about the BM speed test, how do i I run that?

It is the free version of DR 16, and it is a H.264 file (GoPro video). You got me thinking though so I converted the clip to an MP4 and still had the same issue. Then I dropped a simple JPEG in the timeline and tried the fade with that. Again, the handles move like it should fade, but in the playback it doesn’t fade. Seems to me I have used this same system and the fade worked fine so I am at a loss and think it must be some setting somewhere I accidentally changed. I don't know though, that's why I am asking.

I tried the cross dissolve but this is the last segment of the timeline. I want to just fade it out to black to do some type work and after it fades. Without another clip after it, it just bounces back into frame. Probably my limited skill set here.

Jim Simon

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 7:05 pm

OK.

What happens if you adjust the Fade handle and move through the area one frame at a time, giving each frame a moment or two before you move on?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

IPT_ak

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 7:16 am

Jim Simon wrote:OK.

What happens if you adjust the Fade handle and move through the area one frame at a time, giving each frame a moment or two before you move on?

Same thing....it plays back with no visible fade even if I advance frame by frame.

This must be a setting on this specific project I accidentally changed. I started a new project and the fade works fine. However, those clips were taken with a different camera. Just for kicks I dropped one of those files in this problematic timeline and tried to fade it. Same problem, handles move in, but no visible fade occurs. In the other project that clips fades out just fine. Very baffling to me.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 7:31 am

Louis,

I assume you experience this on the Edit page.

Can you check if changing the video fades on other clips in the same timeline work?
Do you have any edits underneath the faded clip? Are there any composition/opacity changes on the clip being faded?

Lastly, could you export a DRP of your project and indicate the timecode and clip name where this issue occurs?

Thanks
Shrinivas

IPT_ak

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 7:32 am

Ok, I figured it out by trial and error playing around. There was an "adjustment clip" over all the clips on the timeline including this last clip. Once I pushed that back, so it wasn't over the last clip, the fade was enabled and worked. I'm not sure I understand why that is, but at least I understand the issue now.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and attempts to help.
Last edited by IPT_ak on Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

IPT_ak

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 7:34 am

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Louis,

Can you check if changing the video fades on other clips in the same timeline work?
Do you have any edits underneath the faded clip? Are there any composition/opacity changes on the clip being faded?

Lastly, could you export a DRP of your project and indicate the timecode and clip name where this issue occurs?

Thanks
Shrinivas

Thanks. Yes edit page. See my other post. I figured it out. Clearly it was something interacting that I wasn't aware of or anticipating would have this effect. Apparently in this case at least, having an adjustment clip over this clip essentially blocked the fade from working.

Jim Simon

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 3:51 pm

Testing on my Windows system in Studio 16.1.2, placing an Adjustment Clip over a video clip did not prevent the video's Fade Handle from working.

Nor would I expect it to.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

IPT_ak

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 8:08 am

Jim Simon wrote:Testing on my Windows system in Studio 16.1.2, placing an Adjustment Clip over a video clip did not prevent the video's Fade Handle from working.

Nor would I expect it to.

Well, i can literally actively drag the end of the adjustment clip over said clip and watch the fade disappear as it returns to full brightness even in the preview viewer....odd as it may be.

IPT_ak

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 8:10 am

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Louis,

Thanks
Shrinivas

Where would you like me to send it?

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 8:11 am

Use Dropbox or another file sharing site and provide a link in this thread.

IPT_ak

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 8:24 am

Hopefully this works....It must be some setting somewhere because I don't have the issue in any other projects..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/86xsgesdfdhvq ... e.drp?dl=0

Return to DaVinci Resolve