how to recover project from backup .dpx or .db files?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

nz.sky

how to recover project from backup .dpx or .db files?

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 6:32 am

I created my first project in resolve 16 beta (300 odd hours work) and backed up to a 2nd backup hdd. My Windows 10 was corrupted and I had to reinstall. I downloaded the latest resolve version onto the main drive and am trying to recover the project, I have .dpx and .db files on the 2nd drive in the back-up folder.

I tried this advice: "In that case, you can do it manually. Copy the "project.db xxxxxxx" file, remove all the time/date stamp information, so that it's renamed to just "project.db". Then create a folder, give it a project name, and put the project.db file inside.
Then move that folder into the Projects folder of the database." - I can't find a way to do this last part ie. move the folder into projects via the project manager. Also there is no 'resolve disk database' folder / subfolders in C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\ in my new version. Any advice???

Jim Simon

Re: how to recover project from backup .dpx or .db files?

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 3:54 pm

My first action would be the Restore option in Project Manager.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

John Paines

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 4:25 pm

Were those my instructions? Sounds familiar.... Anyway, I believe the default location of the Resolve database has changed as of 16, if its a new install. If it's an update from 15, it should be ProgramData>Blackmagic>Resolve> etc., until you get to the local database folder, and then the projects folder.

If you began with a fresh install of v16, I believe the default database is in another location, which I don't have at hand here. You should be able to find wherever it is in the database manager, there's an option somewhere to reveal storage location.

The idea is to drill down in the database folder using the OS until you get to the Projects folder. Also make sure that the folder you created has the correct of the project name, as reflected in the .db file.

nz.sky

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 7:31 am

Jim - the restore option wants .backup or .diskdb files, I only have .dpx and .db files?
John - yes it was your advice and thanks for your suggestion.
I managed to locate where projects are now kept and after several gotchas managed to open a backup .db file in resolve. It shows the timeline and preview in the timeline monitor but if I touch anything resolve crashes. I also created a .dra (archived copy) from the .db but same problem occurs with that.
I tried 3 different .db files from different back ups.
Could there be some incompatibility between .db files created in Resolve 16 Beta vs version 16.1.2.026?
I'm stumped

nz.sky

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 6:46 am

Do corrupted files usually just not open or crash resolve? Any suggestions considering the above?

nz.sky

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 7:36 am

Uninstalled & reinstalled, still no go...

Return to DaVinci Resolve